Frezite spindle moulder tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the numbers, so numbering clockwise again from top left:

1: None that I can see.
2: S004.0577 HM and 37266
3: S016.0516 HM and 37267
4: S0018871 HM
5: S016.0515 HM and 37263

"And isn’t more spindle tooling better than less?! " That only apply s if you can use it?

You probably could manage longer tenons if you used the no. 1 cutter with a groover and ran your
spindle anticlockwise.
edited: (changed my mind re direction :))

Last edited:
On closer inspection, the two ogees are slightly different. One has a larger lip, and I think the radiuses are different:

image.jpg

So, looking at this picture:
image.jpg

The bottom two cutters might be for the profile, because the ogee has a very tall upper part, preventing a tenon from being formed.

This is about as close as I can get:

image.jpg

The scribe cutters need a 2.5mm spacer under them (still not exact), and the profile needs a 1mm spacer between the ogee and the groover.

As you can see, the tenon is about 1.5mm too long, unsurprising since the groover is 3mm smaller in diameter.

If this were a set, why aren’t the cutters machined so that I don’t need to change the height and depth settings?

Last edited:
Well done!
Shortening the stub tenon isn't the end of the world. A bit more tweaking and it should work fine.
When a set is new, it doesn't have these issues, but as it gets sharpened over time, certain deviations
creep in.

Well done!
Shortening the stub tenon isn't the end of the world. A bit more tweaking and it should work fine.
When a set is new, it doesn't have these issues, but as it gets sharpened over time, certain deviations
creep in.

Cheers - problem is, the printed sizes are different. The scribers are 162mm and the groover is 159mm.

I've e-mailed them to ask if the tools are part of a set or are random tools.
I think there are random tools in what you have.

Thanks - if they could find the catalogue entry with those usage diagrams that would be great.

I’ve managed to create some sort of door:
image.jpg

The scrap wood was too thin for a full profile, but the important bits are there. 40mm tenons:
image.jpg

The cuts were not that clean, and there was some burning, so I assume the cutters need sharpening. Is this a DIY job? I have a diamond paddle, diamond plate, bench grinder, and Tormek T7.

Oddities which we may never solve:
1. To get a 6.3mm tenon to match my 1/4” mortice chisel, a 7mm spacer is required.
2. I have to change the height when switching between scribe and profile. The cutters could easily have been machined to eliminate this.
3. The profile stack needs a 1.5mm spacer between profile and groove cutters. There is scope for different spacings, but then the profile won’t fit the scribe.

Seeing as he’s been posting recently on this sort of thing, I’d welcome @Jar944 ’s opinion.

Cheers

Can't help with the overall tooling but you could try honing the face of the carbides with a diamond lap. I wouldn't get too aggressive though. If it doesn't clean up the edge or cut, then I would send it out for sharpening.

Can't help with the overall tooling but you could try honing the face of the carbides with a diamond lap. I wouldn't get too aggressive though. If it doesn't clean up the edge or cut, then I would send it out for sharpening.
Sorry, didn’t see your post. Thanks for the advice.

Back