Frezite spindle moulder tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this on ebay recently:
image.jpg

It’s for cabinet door making. I can stack the top three cutters to make a single scribe, but the bottom two cutters don’t make a corresponding profile (although it’s close). Can anyone tell me how to use it?

Here you go - the top three cutters, stacked. You can see how they form the scribe:
3A709EDC-C921-4934-A8FE-11C823A1FEDD.jpeg

The bottom two cutters - nothing will fit on top, because of the pins. Problem is, that little gap between the top of the ogee and the groove cutter is tiny, leaving a sliver of wood.
55536FBD-0C54-4F0B-9689-C11D03647EF0.jpeg

I may well have got it completely wrong - thought it would become obvious when they were in hand. I’ve often used a 124 profile stile/rail cutter in the Whitehill block with no problem at all.

Problem is, that little gap between the top of the ogee and the groove cutter is tiny, leaving a sliver of wood.
Perhaps the groove cutter was sharpened once too many times?
Try making the profile using one cutter at a time. Reduce the number of variables that affect the moulding.
This might give you an idea where the problem is.

I emailed the seller, and he said the two profiled cutters stack to form a double scribe:
image.jpg

Gap between the two ogees is 6mm or so. Attempting to stack the other way...:
image.jpg

... means the cutter with pin holes (5.8mm, so it must be the right one) is too low, and nothing will stack on top because the pins protrude. I must be missing a shim as Doug suggests.

Stacking the the other profiler on top gives some idea of the profile (no shim yet):
image.jpg

... but now we’re left with a mystery 7mm wide cutter (right) with the same overall diameter as the profiles.

I’ll have a play later on.

Back to the scribe, if I stack the two profiles, they meet:

1C48012C-6988-4A4E-B0C9-29F8E4162331.jpeg

If I insert the smaller diameter, but wider cutter, they form the scribe:

7C137F2E-9E45-49BB-A6C0-DC39221C5312.jpeg

But stacking the other way reveals that the tenon is too low, even with no shims under the groover:
25F68A1C-DFB8-477F-91A1-938BC4C2EECE.jpeg

I’ve tried for a couple of hours with various shims, but I can’t make a scribe and profile that fit together - changing one thing fixes it but puts something else out.

I had a 4 piece set and the scribe only had a distancing ring between the cutters. No groover/ cutter.

Yes. Profile was used with a groove cutter, the scribe with the ring.
Something like this:
sc.jpg

It looks to me like it's a shape thats flipable, as above.
I have similar where the profile cutter is also the scribe cutter.

Just guessing, but is that smaller diameter groover for scribing when there's a rebate on one side of the profile?
Also consider that some of these sets are used both clockwise and anticlockwise.

The seller has been kindly answering my questions, albeit very tersely, and it looks like the set doesn’t do the profile. Odd, as I assumed all such sets would do both.

If you look at the third pic of post no. 7 there’s no way to stack the next profile on top, because the profile cutter pictured has pins sticking up.

I think the straight cutters are for doing single-sided scribes with a rebate or square shoulder on top.

Seeing how it's a set for cabinet doors, is it supposed to have an ogee on both sides of the profile?

Seeing how it's a set for cabinet doors, is it supposed to have an ogee on both sides of the profile?
Looking at the first picture of post #1, and numbering clockwise from top left, you can use:

1 + 4 for a double ogee
1 + 2 or 3 for a square shoulder on one side, of different lengths.

Not sure of cutter 5 or why it has locating pins.

I like a good mystery. :)
Yes, 1+4 in theory gives a double ogee. But how thick would a stile have to be? I'm guessing ~40mm at least.
Not really cabinet door thickness.
Might it be that the pair with holes and pins form the ogee and groove (leaving a small square shoulder on the inside),
while the other 3 cunningly arranged form the corresponding scribe?

I like a good mystery. :)
Yes, 1+4 in theory gives a double ogee. But how thick would a stile have to be? I'm guessing ~40mm at least.
Not really cabinet door thickness.
Might it be that the pair with holes and pins form the ogee and groove (leaving a small square shoulder on the inside),
while the other 3 cunningly arranged form the corresponding scribe?
Maybe - I have a nice warm fire burning at the moment, fuelled by all the little offcuts I’ve made trying to work out the damn thing.

I’ll have another go tomorrow...

Do any of the cutters have a sequence of numbers. I used to deal with Frezite regularly. They should all have Identification numbers.
Heres a link to their website that shows their catalogue of these type of tools.
http://www.frezite.com/docs/cat-ger...sets/common/downloads/publication.pdf#noFlashTo make a set I would have expected the groove tools to have pinholes to match the pegs on the profile cutters.
Thanks - I found that catalogue, but none of the numbers matched my cutters. I’ll let you know what they are later on.

Sounds like he lied in his description

Selling the scribe only is pointless.
He did describe it as a tenon/scribe tool. I took that to mean it has a long reach for tenoning the scribe ends, rather than scribe only. As above I assumed all such tools were combined scribe/profile, and with 5 cutters there must be the ingredients for doing both cuts.

Admittedly, it was an impulse buy - the seller had a wobble groover for sale, which I bought, and ending almost at the same time was this set. And isn’t more spindle tooling better than less?!

Back