Free trade deal with Australia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the headlines of a Australian trade agreement be it 7p off a bottle of wine or some dodgy growth enhanced meat. The real danger is that in Johnson and Truss's rush to create a first non roll over deal (and bathe in those upland rays during June in Cornwall) is that a non tariff, no TRQ agreement creates a very nice basis for other countries to demand similar or even more one-sided agreements such as Canada, US etc. It's foolish in the extreme, why give everything away and leave no leverage or bargaining power and get entangled in WTO MFN issues? Welcome to lower standards, lower regulatory powers and further regulatory divergence. Perhaps that's the plan...somebody should tell David Frost.......

Forget the headlines of a Australian trade agreement be it 7p off a bottle of wine or some dodgy growth enhanced meat. The real danger is that in Johnson and Truss's rush to create a first non roll over deal (and bathe in those upland rays during June in Cornwall) is that a non tariff, no TRQ agreement creates a very nice basis for other countries to demand similar or even more one-sided agreements such as Canada, US etc. It's foolish in the extreme, why give everything away and leave no leverage or bargaining power and get entangled in WTO MFN issues? Welcome to lower standards, lower regulatory powers and further regulatory divergence. Perhaps that's the plan...somebody should tell David Frost.......
Begone with ya, grumpy puss, go back to the locked place 🤣

Listen up........ we get a few snippets on this side, but imagine the grumpyness and self righteousness boollooxxs in the locked down area.

Well, nothing like the good old days paying into the EU who then gave out large grants to the old eastern block countries to build factories invest in the latest technology to ship freely back to the UK products made by people earning less than 1:10 of what a British worker earns often with major tax breaks. Didn’t hear much about protecting the British manufacturing from that kind of loonacy. So, I haven’t any sympathy for farmers who enjoyed a subsidised industry protected and mollycoddled. If they can’t compete with Aussie wages (higher than ours) and a product that shipped half way around the world then they should go bankrupt
But are we going to let British farmers drop there welfare standards to match cheaper imports?

But are we going to let British farmers drop there welfare standards to match cheaper imports?

The trouble is, the UK considers Mulesing and docking cruel, which it is, however I can assure you all sheep would die in Aus outback without it.
How would you prevent a sheep from being fly blown (eaten alive by maggots) if they were to ban Mulesing.

For those who don't know what mulesing is you get the lamb upside down and with a pair of shears cut the loose skin from the back of the knee up to the thigh on the back legs, about 4 square inches.
The skin then shrinks and prevents folds of skin around the pineapple area for shiit to gather and flies to lay eggs.

the Uk docks for this very reason

Very good question, anyone would think we have never traded global but look back in history and we sailed the seas trading with all manor of countries and the bigger the marketplace the more trade that can happen
As an EU member the UK already traded globally.....there never was a bigger marketplace....it's a myth.

The trouble is, the UK considers Mulesing and docking cruel, which it is, however I can assure you all sheep would die in Aus outback without it.
How would you prevent a sheep from being fly blown (eaten alive by maggots) if they were to ban Mulesing.

For those who don't know what mulesing is you get the lamb upside down and with a pair of shears cut the loose skin from the back of the knee up to the thigh on the back legs, about 4 square inches.
The skin then shrinks and prevents folds of skin around the pineapple area for shiit to gather and flies to lay eggs.

the Uk docks for this very reason
Hells teeth that can't be right. I keep sheep and I've had my fair share of fly strike. Yes to docking lowland lambs very early and I would prefer not to as it clearly hurts even day old lambs despite assurances that their nervous system isn't developed and they don't feel it - they do. But I have tried not docking and just spraying them but that doesn't work. Docking and spraying works together with good shepherding. But not the skinning thing Bob that's just a cruel way of avoiding spraying them with a repellent. No wonder Aussie lamb is cheaper than ours!

Hells teeth that can't be right. I keep sheep and I've had my fair share of fly strike. Yes to docking lowland lambs very early and I would prefer not to as it clearly hurts even day old lambs despite assurances that their nervous system isn't developed and they don't feel it - they do. But I have tried not docking and just spraying them but that doesn't work. Docking and spraying works together with good shepherding. But not the skinning thing Bob that's just a cruel way of avoiding spraying them with a repellent. No wonder Aussie lamb is cheaper than ours!

Different sheep Mike, the australian sheep is a wrinkly merino, a wool machine, surface skin is about 3-4 times that of a UK sheep. Hence loads of areas for fly strike. Climate is just totally different, where I was you would have 100 flies on your face during a wet spell, temps in excess of 48 was not unusual and you saw the sheep twice a year, they are in effect wild.
How long does it take to round up your sheep, try rounding up 20,000 sheep and moving them 20 miles in 48degree heat, with no water for them to drink. We used 2 planes and about 8 bikes with maybe 10 dogs, it's quite a logistical exercise to do it right without killing them all from exhaustion.
Dipping them every few months is just not possible, due above reasons.

Last edited:
Different sheep Mike, the australian sheep is a wrinkly merino, a wool machine, surface skin is about 3-4 times that of a UK sheep. Hence loads of areas for fly strike. Climate is just totally different, where I was you would have 100 flies on your face during a wet spell, temps in excess of 48 was not unusual and you saw the sheep twice a year, they are in effect wild.
How long does it take to round up your sheep, try rounding up 20,000 sheep and moving them 20 miles in 48degree heat, with no water for them to drink. We used 2 planes and about 8 bikes with maybe 10 dogs, it's quite a logistical exercise to do it right without killing them all from exhaustion.
Dipping them every few months is just not possible, due above reasons.
Wrong sheep in the wrong place Bob

Move on? Yeah how's that workin out? :ROFLMAO:
well, there was whinging about how scottish salmon farming was screwed at the beginning of the year. The remainers jumped on that bandwagon very quickly.............

A new trade zone of Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the UK would be a brilliant step forward, one based on trade and free movement

It's called CanzUK....its theoretical only and it will stay that way.

Canada does most of its trade with America
Australia does most of its trade with China
UK does most of its trade with Europe.

you really are desperate for failure. I find it quite cringeworthy. I suspect we are seeing the tip of the iceberg compared with the closed forum. Must be like glum and glummer in there. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Is it called the closed forum or momentum?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back