Free trade deal with Australia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The losers on the deal are most likely to be EU farmers unable to compete with Oz at the volume end of the market.

how do you reach that conclusion?

youve used a rather strange interpretation of the results

-you say "EU would be the biggest losers"...but what you really mean is "Republic of Ireland"
-you mention domestic production is 900,000 tons how do arrive at the conclusion the biggest losers on the deal would be the EU (RoI)

the NFU certainly think it would be very damaging:

“We continue to maintain that a tariff-free trade deal with Australia will jeopardise our own farming industry and could cause the demise of many, many beef and sheep farms throughout the UK. This is true whether tariffs are dropped immediately or in 15 years’ time.
https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/australia-trade-deal-five-questions-the-uk-govern/

I’m torn which to buy?
A genetically altered burger soaked in petro-chemical pesticide grown in petrochemical fertiliser as going all organic would need further land for agriculture due to lower yields or
A hormone enhanced meat full of antibiotics turning all the population female washed in chlorine if it’s a chicken burger??
Decisions decisions!

Last edited:
how do you reach that conclusion?

youve used a rather strange interpretation of the results

-you say "EU would be the biggest losers"...but what you really mean is "Republic of Ireland"
-you mention domestic production is 900,000 tons how do arrive at the conclusion the biggest losers on the deal would be the EU (RoI)

the NFU certainly think it would be very damaging:

“We continue to maintain that a tariff-free trade deal with Australia will jeopardise our own farming industry and could cause the demise of many, many beef and sheep farms throughout the UK. This is true whether tariffs are dropped immediately or in 15 years’ time.
https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/australia-trade-deal-five-questions-the-uk-govern/

Well, Eire is part of the EU, so that’s not inaccurate.
The NFU is clearly an unbiased organisation looking for the best of the UK population and doesn’t have a protracted introverted perspective that anything that potentially could affect farmers is a calamity.
I’m not sure why it’s a pre-requisite for us all to support an industry by paying more for its products due to it not being allegedly able to compete against a country that has higher labour rates, and has to ship its product half way around the world.

That's the fault of the directors of the company concerned, not the EU, as it's the directors of the company who have no loyalty to the workforce and are prepared to chase the grant system for profit.

Likewise with brexit. Don't be surprised if companies start to move across the channel at the expense of British workers.

both really as the EU facilitate and incentivise the move.
From personal experience of a very large US hq'ed multinational chemical company - our euphemism for cheap labour is 'high growth' regions.
US roles tend to get shunted to Mexico/PR and Western European to Eastern Europe or all the way to the far East.
I guess when it's a choice of a role in Romania on a third of the salary of Germany with simpler labour laws it's a no-brainer really - so a few sites in Germany,Holland and Belgium have gone as a result.
Funnily enough UK site was retained as brexit means they needed a presence here.

I think Triton is an aussie company.

Also for all you flesh eaters they may swap or reduce cow consumption for roo and this would reduce our greenhouse gas emisions.

Yup, Australian.
Keep in mind cows are vegetarians and all that plant matter is causing the emissions. ergo if we were all veggies, the emissions would be higher.
So if all the vegans and vegetarians became meat eaters, that would also cause a drop in emissions
I’m torn which to buy?
A genetically altered burger soaked in petro-chemical pesticide grown in petrochemical fertiliser as going all organic would need further land for agriculture due to lower yields or
A hormone enhanced meat full of antibiotics turning all the population female washed in chlorine if it’s a chicken burger??
Decisions decisions!
Dont forget to include your chlorine washed salad leaves in for the burger ;)

I’m not sure why it’s a pre-requisite for us all to support an industry by paying more for its products due to it not being allegedly able to compete against a country that has higher labour rates, and has to ship its product half way around the world

Because UK farmers can't compete.
We have small farms on expensive land
Farmers are a key part of maintaining the countryside

Australia uses both growth hormones and antibiotics.

Even if a product is a little more expensive to produce locally, it's still better for society to use that product, than one produced overseas, all other factors being equal.

Why?

Because of the cyclical nature of the economy. Buy something from overseas and that money is lost. Buy something locally and that money stays within the territory to then be spent on somthing else, thereby generating more "wealth" within the host society.

Cheaper is so often short term.

Nutrition has never been a priority in the fast food industry.

Plenty of other stuff to supply nutrition.

I haven't followed the impossible burger stuff that close for two reasons:
1) I'd hoped that it would be lower cost, as an alternative to beef
2) I'd hoped that it would have a better nutrition profile

Haven't checked the price lately, but the nutrition profile makes it pointless here where beef is often about $3 a pound.

Not everything is fast food. The majority of beef in the US is served/consumed at home. the two new fake meats have a nutrition profile close to 85/15 beef, which is considered kind of lower/entry level here (90/93% lean beef is more common and peoples' palates are changing to eat more lean and less fat).

the impossible meat stuff at this point looks like it's just a false meat that tastes like meat and is fortified for vegetarians (also personally not a fan of fortified foods as the actual absorption of the fortified bits on the whole is lower than absorption from most natural sources).

Even if a product is a little more expensive to produce locally, it's still better for society to use that product, than one produced overseas, all other factors being equal.

Why?

Because of the cyclical nature of the economy. Buy something from overseas and that money is lost. Buy something locally and that money stays within the territory to then be spent on somthing else, thereby generating more "wealth" within the host society.

If societal value (and thus currency strength) is lost due to overseas purchases, then the local purchases should ultimately be the lower cost version. The argument that buying at a higher price locally leads to better economic outcomes just doesn't hold up if the differential becomes significant because it prevents segments of society from moving on to something more profitable/productive.

What's the betting that some Tory MP's brother owns a big cattle farm in Australia?

Let's face it, who's brother/school chum/pub landlord gets their grubby hands on my tax money is normally what shapes Tory policy.

Actually all the meat issues may have been solved because they are now capable of growing flesh in a laboratory without it being a complete living animal, solves the gas issues and no issues with animal rights. Maybe they will reach a point where Mc Shiete will use a process where they 3D print there stuff, flesh & roll but leave out the greenery as that is just wasted in such a product.

What's the betting that some Tory MP's brother owns a big cattle farm in Australia?

Let's face it, who's brother/school chum/pub landlord gets their grubby hands on my tax money is normally what shapes Tory policy.

This sounds like trump fanatic grade conspiracy work.

Separately, I just checked to see what "impossible" meat costs here, and the maker says they are suggesting that retailers "lower" the price now to $7 for a 12 ounce package.

$9.33/lb

That's a bad joke.

Ground beef average counter price for April in the US is $3.70/lb.

Because UK farmers can't compete.
We have small farms on expensive land
Farmers are a key part of maintaining the countryside

Australia uses both growth hormones and antibiotics.

Maintaining the countryside??? Large fields having ripped out the hedges leading to soil erosion?? Well, that sounds like good maintenance to me.
Perhaps we return the land to how it used to be? Forestry! Huge diversity for nature, massive CO2 hoover and a crop that can be harvested in around 130 years?
Sounds a better maintenance of the countryside, and I’d rather that than support an industry that must be inefficient, poorly managed and used to living on subsidies if it can’t compete against Australia!

If societal value (and thus currency strength) is lost due to overseas purchases, then the local purchases should ultimately be the lower cost version. The argument that buying at a higher price locally leads to better economic outcomes just doesn't hold up if the differential becomes significant because it prevents segments of society from moving on to something more profitable/productive.

I agree with you to a large extent. The whole "open the factories" again thing is a nonsense.

But... In the case of an existing industry, there is more sense in maintaining it if the cost differential is fairly minor.

I'm vegetarian, have been for over 30 years. It's not as if I care what happens to British Beef. If it were up to me, it would all go, British, Australian, whatever, and I honestly believe the world would be a better place for its loss.

However, will society consume more or less beef if it gets cheaper. Probably more. And will those UK beef farmers now out of business morph into an equally valuable part of our economic model?

I live in rural devon. I am around cattle farmers often. Indeed i would count some of them as friends. But it is not the most dynamic of industries. I think if you put most of them out of a job, they will find it hard to contribute to society in an equal measure any time soon.

This sounds like trump fanatic grade conspiracy work.

Are you serious? Do you not see the vast streams of tax payer money being directed constantly to those who are close to Tory MPs?

Matt Handcocks old pub landlord is the example I mentioned in my post, but, pretty much wherever the Tories splash vast sums of cash, you will find some link.

Dido Harding. Track and trace. Conservative life peer.

Are you really suggesting this is just coincidental?

Why?

Without exception every closed society (which is what is required) that has adopted this philosophy has led to elements of its population starving to death, lacking progress technologically and being basically bankrupt. North Korea is the last left, and not many would wish to emulate their success!

Why are some so anti global but pro EU.
It's like you don't want just the UK (because that's soooo last year), lets make it bigger, how about EU, OK why not global NOOOOO too big.

The mega efficency of massive container ships probably means there is less cost, less fossil fuel burn per item than something driven on a single lorry from Romania.

I worked on an Aus sheep station for 2 years, Mooleulooloo near broken hill (3hrs), UK wouldn't eat station lamb, way too scrorny, it all goes to asian countries.

Last edited:
Why are some so anti global but pro EU.
It's like you don't want just UK (because that's soooo last year), lets make it biogger how about EU, OK why not global NOOOOO too big.

The Brexit mantra of Global Britain is total hogwash.

The UK had a global market as an EU member....Brexit has opened no more opportunities for global trade, it's done the polar opposite: put up a massive barrier between us and our largest trade partner.

Have you ever done any shopping? Our shops are full of products from China, USA, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam.......so EU membership was never a barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back