FOX 10" CAST IRON SAW BENCH WITH SLIDING TABLE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone who (especially those buying their first saw) is in the market for a cast iron table saw with a sliding table could do a lot worse then this Fox at Rutlands
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... |1,0,0,1|2

£499 for a cast iron table, sliding table, and 3hp induction motor can't be bad.

Has anyone got/or had one of these? If so what is it like?

Cheers

Mike

Hi,

It's basically the SIP. The sliding table alone sets you back £250 so this is a very good deal. The saw is very good - I'm well pleased with mine.

Cheers

Col

ColG i am also tempted by this offer but it looks like it takes up loads of floor space and i have to put a table saw to the end of the garage to get the car in, could you give us overall sizes and space requirement please
my estimate of size is 1700x1465 and i note it takes 30 bore blades

I've been looking at this machine for a while but with £200 off I couldn't resist so I ordered one tonight on the Rutlands web site.

I will let you know how it all goes

Cheers
Mike

I've ordered one too.

I spent some time choosing a TS earlier this week and concluded that the Fox was what I wanted at £686.49 from Poolwood. Fortunately I didn't get around to ordering it. Indescision paid off!
:D

Hmm... looks identical to this except for the colours. Had a look at it a couple of months ago and thought it looked a very nice piece of kit for the money. £600 for a TS with cast-iron tables and sliding table? - made me wish there had been something like it on the market when I paid almost 3 times that on my ally tabled Scheppach a few years back :roll:
Well done you guys and your bargains, I hope you'll all be very happy with your new toys!

Cheers
Mark

ive been thinkin about this saw for a while. I have come to the conclusion that it is just too big to work around in the workshop... but... can i ask someone who has one if the sliding table folds down or can be taken off? The only other option i have with a decent sliding table is the Scheppach 2010 but it has aluminium tables and the first time i saw it i wasnt overly impressed and my local stockist has run out for a few weeks so i havnt looked at it properly yet.

If it IS the SIP, it is a really nice piece of kit. A friend has had one for about 12 months now. They do however come in two different motor sizes, one of which must be hard wired to a 16amp supply (or via a 16amp socket). The only minor niggle, is the fence, you have to ensure it is parrelel all the time. You do tend to find the front edge against the rule is set correctly, but the back end can be a few mill out. Otherwise a very nice peice of kit for the moeny.
Oh, DO use an extractor, they dont half kick up the dust!

Mark

It's a good buy, but you'll need to house it in a double garage. A single garage would not be big ebough unless you left the sliding table off.

Mine arrived last week, but I haven't managed to assemble it yet. Needs 3 blokes to lift the main part off the pallet and onto the base.

For anyone thinking of buying one, this is my experience so far...

Most of it arrived on Friday, but the long rails for the sliding table were missing. I contacted Rutlands and was informed they ship them separately because they are too long for the pallet. They arrived on Saturday morning.

The majority of it was packed in a plywood crate with the aluminium parts for the fence in a separate cardboard box. Everything was well packed and no parts were damaged.

It was too heavy to move on my own but my son (15) helped me and we managed to put the main saw together in a couple of hours. The instructions aren't great but the drawings are good and we assembled everything by referring to the drawings. It was all pretty straightforward and only needed a couple of spanners and screwdrivers. The main body of the saw, motor, table etc are already assembled when delivered so it's a matter of bolting the base together and adding the handles, extension table and the rails for the rip fence. These rails were the only fiddly part with a couple of the nuts being hard to get at but apart from that it was simple.

Adding the sliding table was equally simple but the rails are heavy and would be difficult to manage without a helper. Everything is adjustable and after about an hour I had the sliding table correctly aligned with the main table. The bearings needed no adjustment and run smoothly on the rails.

The machine comes fitted with a standard 13amp plug so does not require a separate 16amp supply.

Mine is set up in a double garage and I wouldn't recommend it for anywhere smaller as it is a fairly big machine, especially with the sliding table, the rails pretty much double the depth of the machine so it needs plenty of space around it. I will try to post some pics tonight to show how it fits and give a better idea of the space it needs.

I gave it some use over the weekend and have found it a pleasure to use. The (induction) motor is quiet and starts up smoothly, it's also braked so it stops in a few seconds. The rip fence moves smoothly and locks well although it is necessary to check it's perfectly aligned before locking it as it can be a fraction out front to back. It's a full length rip fence.

The hand wheels operate smoothly and the blade tilts has positive stops at 90 and 45 degrees.

The sliding table is great and can accomdate a 2ft wide board with the fence at the front edge of the table. The clamping device is strong and holds the work securely on the table. The fence can also be positioned at the rear of the table and that would allow a much wider board to be cut. I did a cross cut in an 8 x 2 sheet of 3/4 MDF (sorry I haven't gone metric yet!). The sliding table is probably strong enough to hold such a board but the board sags a lot under its own weight so it is much easier with a helper to hold the end of the board. The resulting cut was very clean and as square as my framing square or try square.

I ripped some inch and a half beech and it didn't seem to put any strain on anything, I didn't have anything thicker to try it on but I wouldn't expect any problems as it is a pretty substantial piece of kit.

The only thing which is a bit ropey is the angle indicator for the fence on the slding table but I will probably scribe marks on the table itself.

In summary, I think it's a bargain, especially at £500, it's well made, powerful, solid and very heavy.

Also full marks to Rutlands for delivering it quickly and answering my emails and phone calls quickly.

I've tried to put down everything I can think of but if anyone wants to know anythign else, please ask away and I will try to answer.

Cheers
Mike

I'm surprised that you and your 15 year old lad could lift the table up over the base. Can you give a little more detail of how you did it?

The main castings and motor must weigh at least 100kg and arrive on a pallet upside down. So did you tip it on one end first? Did you first remove the cast vertical bars that hold the rods for the sliding table?

In my case, the rods arrived one day before the rest of the saw; no need to phone Rutlands.

Stoday":195l77j2 said:
I'm surprised that you and your 15 year old lad could lift the table up over the base. Can you give a little more detail of how you did it?

The main castings and motor must weigh at least 100kg and arrive on a pallet upside down. So did you tip it on one end first? Did you first remove the cast vertical bars that hold the rods for the sliding table?

In my case, the rods arrived one day before the rest of the saw; no need to phone Rutlands.

It was heavy but not as bad as you think.

It arrived upside down on the pallet, we took all the packing off and took all the bags of bits out of the machine.

We spread some carboard onto the garage floor and lifted the main unit off the pallet onto the cardboard, still upside down. It was heavy but just about managable for the two of us.

We bolted the four panels which make up the base onto the main unit and then bolted the feet to the base. Still all upside down.

We then pushed it onto its front face, still on the cardboard to avoid scratches so that it was laying face down. We then lifted the table up and stood the machine upright. Once it was upright we dragged it into position and then bolted all the opther bits on.

I can't think of any other way of doing it because if you build the base and then try to lift the main unit onto it you will have a hell of a job fastening the bolts which hold it all together.

Hope this makes some sense

Cheers
Mike

Now that I am rather jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I take it someone who RECIEVED A BIG BARGAIN here will give a good review.

And the I will pray :ho2 there will be another special.

Damn the bank balance! :mrgreen: :roll: :evil:

Hi all

This is my first post on this very informative forum, hopefully not my last

I was also amazed at the price of this machine so I ordered one as well, 2 boxes arrived on the Friday before the Bank holiday, There were only 3 base sections in the box and Im still waiting for the fourth one to turn up,
6 days later the rails arrived.
I mocked up a base section panel til the real one gets here from 18mm ply so I could try it out,
Did everything exactly the same way as Mike when bolting it together, although the sliding table was a total pain to get level. Ran like a dream.

Went out this morning to sort some bits and the starter refuses to stay turned on, blade spins but as soon as you let go of the button it stops, thankfully Im not making a living out of this, Will see what they say in the morning

Cheers
Allan

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the the forum. :D

Well done on getting in on the sale price, lets hope the after sales service is quick to sort out the problem. 8-[

Back