Four out of five kangaroos can't be wrong.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKnottyOne

Reaction score
I have been in hunter gatherer mode lately, busy removing eronious and error strewn investments from the past and replacing them with good quality second hand jobs that need a little TLC to bring the best out of them. No, I am not talking divorce here, although my time spent perusing various For Sale columns and web sites may yet inadvertently lead me there :shock:

A local advert for an old set of chisels and other things (residing just round the corner from a tool shop I was going to anyway) had me thinking there must be such a thing as fate. Of course fate is not always a good thing, and another description of fate is coincidence, and the only odd thing about coincidences is that they don't happen more often.

I digress.

I must be honest, I have never heard of these chisels, although I believe they are quite a well known brand, but I was quite surprised, coming out of this tiny shed, to find these sparkly little marsupials

image_0002.jpg

Odd though it seems, these have never even had an edge put on them. Why the 1 inch tool went AWOL and got replaced by a Brades of Birmingham imposter is anyone's guess, but a handling comparison quickly suggests that, to me at any rate, it is out classed by its stable mates in terms of balance and feel.

What I would like to know, as I am completely ignorant of such matters, was my (rather too quickly accepted for my liking) offer of £20 either too generous, too mean, or round about right?

Secondly, I bought these to use, am I going to upset any collectors who like boxes more than the things held within them, in which case should I sell them on and put the profits or losses towards a new set?

Thirdly, and I hate to use the word.... rust...... but I have to, there is a few surface rust spots here and there. I am no stranger to this odious material and its treatment having restored motorcycles and clocks in years gone by, but (certainly in the case of clocks) the aim here was to conserve as much original material as possible, whereas I would quite like my chisels to be nice and shiny. To this end, what would be the best way to go about removing the blemishes in this very hard steel?

As fate would have it, the tool shop was closed, but I didn't leave the garden shed before the owner had tried to sell me just about everything in it. I turned down bargain after bargain... I said no about 5 times to these wooden planes (see my next thread - plane insanity)

Any information on these chisels and their treatment gratefully received

kind regards

Simon

MAJOR bargain there Simon. A set of Robert Sorby chisels of that vintage unused must be about as common as rocking horse droppings, shame about the odd one but still a decent enough chisel =D>

SCORE!

You've done really well with those, easily a lifetime or two of use in them and they are from an era when RS were producing some of their best kit. An equivalent set today would set you back a good £100 I would think.

I use this stuff for removing rust, easy, non-toxic, very effective. If you want to try a dollop drop me a PM.

Too bad about the 1", but good score. I'd be inclined to flog 'em - you don't see that many unused in their box and why not give some collector the pleasure and make a bit of cash? Plenty of user ones about.

Nice chisels - I have a number of wood turning ones - but not in boxes though! :(

For some reason they do seem to attract rust, though not since I have had them as they get repeated doses of Camellia oil - perhaps it's the type of steel?

Rod

WOW! Bargain indeed!

Not often they are found from that vintage in a box....

Shame he lost the 1" and I assume the pouch they came with? :oops:

Ok...I'll get my coat...!!! :D :wink:

Jim

Thanks for your replies, I sort of thought it was a bit of a steel (ahem).

Matthew, PM sent.

Alf, I have been struggling with the moral question of whether A) I should sell these on to someone who won't use them and betray my principles regarding the purpose of tools, or B) be thankful for my good fortune and use them as the maker intended.
In the end, I WANT to use them. They balance nicely, the steel feels alive and raring to go. I think I will keep the box, and when I am no longer able to lift a mallet, I will put them back in for the collectors.
In the meantime, I promise not to use them on those occasions I can't find a screwdriver

:wink:
Rod, I will oil them once I get the rust removed as best I can. The little patches of rust are just where they lie in contact with the box, which I assume must have got damp at some point (despite the tool paper each blade was wrapped in).

Jim, that was terrible! :D

Ok given that I am going to use them, what is my best way to sharpen them? I was just going to grind a small bevel with a fine oil stone. Have the methods been superceded since my school days?

Kind regards

Simon

TheKnottyOne":2i2do3rb said:
Ok given that I am going to use them, what is my best way to sharpen them? I was just going to grind a small bevel with a fine oil stone. Have the methods been superceded since my school days?

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Simon - you'll find that there's complete agreement on this rarely-asked question - we all use oil stones in the traditional way. Hardly worth discussing. No dissent. No alternatives worth a mention at all.

AndyT":3je75286 said:
TheKnottyOne":3je75286 said:

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Simon - you'll find that there's complete agreement on this rarely-asked question - we all use oil stones in the traditional way. Hardly worth discussing. No dissent. No alternatives worth a mention at all.

Nice one Andy! :D :wink:

Seriously though Simon...if you are getting the rust remover from Workshop Heaven....you could do worse than asking Matt about the "Scary Sharp" system he sells...

(oops...opens can...ducks as worms escape!)

Jim

Sharpen them on velvet; it's the only way. (Still hoping to save something for the collectors, bless their hearts) :wink:

Back