Fouga Magister (a Frog Dinky toy if ever there was one!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Jonzjob: What are you doing with a Fouga Magister (a Frog Dinky toy if ever there was one!) as an icon? Asfar as I recall only the French and Brazilians ever operated them.

Krgds

KES Wadya mean! The Fouga Magister was also operated by the Belgian Air Force!

I have no idea if you have ever seen one 'in the flesh', but I own one 8) 8) A lovely aircraft and quite easy to fly. OK, not the fastest aircraft ever designed, but I love them!!

This is my baby

MagisterSelsley2.jpg

@Jonzjob:

Yup, sorry, I forgot the Belgians (V easy to do!).

Yup, seen quite a few in the flesh in the 1960s. Saw a couple of riggers changing a nosewheel once, I think it was at Istres. One just stuck his back under the nose - kneeling down of course - and took the "weight" on his shoulders while the other one changed the wheel (I think the retaining nuts were about 2BA ;-). But I envy your ownership of one, I've never flown in one unfortunately.

Cheers
AES

To be totally honest with you AES neither have I. I've seen how I land at times and it ain't pretty. :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

MAGISTER7.jpg

It glides really well off the slopes of Stroud and surrounds and as a matter of intrest Chas, that one would be called the Froster Flier :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's what''s called a PSS, Power Slope Soarer. Total glider, no engine, but it is a model of a powered aircraft. All moving tail rudder/vator and on the wongs flapperons. That basically means the tail is both rudder, where one half moves one way and the other half the other way. Elevator, they both move the same way. The flapperons are combined flaps and ailerons. Smarty ehhh 8) Approx a 6 foot wing span, fibre glass fuzalarge and foam wings and weighs in at about 7 lbs..

As for changing the nose wheel all they needed to do was to shove the tail to the ground and it would have sat there for them.. The C of G without the driver is right on the main wheels.

Magisterbegging.jpg

This was taken at a Kemble Air Day and we were talking to the driver and he let us over the barriers and poke around. We asked about the C of G and he just sat it up for us. Both me mate and Ihave the same model and the driver was totally intrigued as to how they fly. It was the last military job still flying. It's been retired now and is still flying as a civvy.

@Jonzjob:

Ah, OK, PSS, I understand. When I saw the real thing I was working on English Electric "Frightenings" - quite a contrast to the Magister.

Krgds
AES

Jonzjob:

I definitely remember the bloke putting the nose of the a/c on his shoulder as I described (couldn't do that with a Lightning or even a Hunter). Your pics are v good, thanks, but I don't remember that little tailwheel on those a/c I saw. Perhaps a Belgian mod? But I must add, it WAS a long time ago!

Cheers
AES

Hi,

The Irish Air Corps operated six Fougas up until 1998 and used four of them for their display team the "Silver Swallows". A beautiful aircraft to watch fly and the display routine flown was based on very close formation flying. Back in 1997 they won the trophy for the best display by an overseas display team at the Royal International Air Tattoo. Have a look at; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Swallows for info on the team and; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pUaw802Hc8 for a video clip.

Regards,

J.B.

@CHJ:

Sorry, mea culpa - it was me who started wandering off into the byways of aeroplanes.

Won't happen again.

Krgds
AES

AES":1crrzdjw said:
@CHJ:

Sorry, mea culpa - it was me who started wandering off into the byways of aeroplanes.

Won't happen again.

Krgds
AES
No problem, wander were you like, just thought it would be better for the search engines in future if it was separated out as Jonzjob suggested.

Latest posts

Back