Forum Users Hand Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny really, just glanced through a couple of pages and thought.. nah I've only got a couple, then had a think and realised I was lying to myself :roll: Most of these need some work setting up still and the wooden planes are just talking another language to me but I'm getting there :oops:

Record block
Record 4 1/2
Record 043
Record multi/combi plane
Wooden coffin
Wooden jack x 2
wooden rebate
Wooden 'scrub'

Felt like I should add mine to the list:

2x Stanley bailey 4 (one has a heavily cambered iron)
Stanley Bailey 4 1/2
Stanley bailey 5
Bailey 7
Stanley 60 1/2 block
Record 102
Stanley 50 plough
Record 044 plough
Record 080 cabinet scraper
Stanley 71 router
Stanley 78 rebate
A user made small router plane (cast from solid brass with a tool steel iron)
and a no name coffin smoother

Wow more than I thought.

Matt

Looking through this thread I feel very inadequate on the hand plane department.

I only have two hand planes:

No4 my every day plane
No7 if I am planning longer pieces. This was given to me by a friend and was in a right mess but four hours of cleaning/sharpening revealed a very nice Bedrock

Well my collection is slowly building as funds allow. So far I have

2x Faithfull #3 Smoothing planes (Only took them out of the boxes yesterday, for some reason amazon sent two lol)
Stanley #4
Record #4
2x Stanley #5 Bailey
Spinney #5
Stanley #5 1/2
Silverline #6 Fore Plane (Only out of the box yesterday too)

Apart from the one #5 Bailey they all need some work to them, I just need to be in the right frame of mind to settle down into the job. However, I've made a start of sorts, they all now live in a proper cassette I made yesterday to fit into a spare filing cabinet drawer so they're not on an open shelf any more :)

So far i have a restored stanley usa No 4 1/2 - pre 1930
stanley usa No 5 1/2 - 2 1/4'' blade version.
Stanley No 6 - to be restored
Stanley usa No 65 block plane - retired due to 2 cracks in the sole :(
Record no 4 - plastic handle job. Never use it.
A few stanley/record spokeshaves
Axi Rider LA block plane
Sold my LN No 60 1/2 when on hard times :( Bound to get another one tho :D
Think thats all for now ;)

Lie Neilson Low angle block plane
Clifton Smoothing plane
Lie Neilson No 5
Stanley No 6
Clifton small shoulder plane

Tend to use whichever is sharpest!

Record 5 1/2
Record 4 1/2
Record 4
Record 4 stay set
Stanley 4
Stanley 78 rebate
All old examples ex eBay,
Rider block plane, was £28 reduced to £8 in axi sale. Wife has bought me a quangsheng block plane for birthday, but not got it yet. Also got a makita electric 'hand' plane, but rarely use it as it is so easy to destroy wood with it.
Got a few LN scrapers as well.

Bought a veritas jig for honing and grinding the irons.

Mixture of Taiwanese and Japanese planes of various lengths and types. No western type planes in use these days.
But most work is done on a planer thicknesser.

Silverline #4 before I knew any better. It actually worked incredibly well once fettled. Nothing wrong with it for £13 Toolstation. I've now got this set up with a wide throat for less subtle work.

Stanley #4 1/2 restored from a sorry state- fairly new addition from eBay that I've not used much yet. Purchased to act as a wider bodied smoother to complement the #3. Estimate 1960's.

Stanley #3 which I love to bits. This is my main smoother, didn't bed much restoring apart from some rust. Estimate 1970's.

Stanley #71 router plane which is great and will be better once I make a larger wooden base. Last edition, black plastic handles,'1980's.

Stanley 13-052 plough plane. A great eBay purchase which came with 10 blades and in great condition.

Probably don't need any more!

I'm kind of surprised how little love their is for woodies in the UK considering how bloody cheap, plentiful and easy to repair they are.

I've got 2 coffin smoothers, a wooden jack and jointer on the bench plus a miller falls 9 (#4 stanley) and an old sargeant block plane.

As for extras I've a few wooden moulding planes, a fillester and an old metal shoulder plane unknown maker.

I may as well throw my hat in to the ring.

Currently I have:

Veritas LA Jack
Veritas LA Smoother
Veritas BU Jointer (Recent buy and currently unused)
Veritas LA Block Plane
Record No 5 (Recent buy and currently unused)
Record No 4 (Recent buy and currently unused)
Record 043 Plough Plane (Recent buy and currently unused)

Now I just need some workshop space and timber to put them to use (again).

only just found this thread so might as well list mine:

#1 sized Mathieson coffin woodie with straight edge and rounded corners
#3 as above
#4 as above
#4 sized woodie Toothing plane (Iron is Ibbotson)
6mm Peugeot 2 sided Tongue and groove plane
Mathieson adjustable fence Plough with cutters 1/8 upto 3/4"
woodie 1/2 set odd size mathieson hollow and rounds
woodie Mathieson Drawer bottom dado plane
#4 Stanley with straight iron and square corners
#4 Stanley with straight iron slightly rounded corners
#4 Stanley with cambered iron
#5 1/2 Mike.S (of this parish) Frankinplane
#6 Record Straight iron and square corners (used for shooting)
#7 Rider straight iron and square corners
#405 Record with 23 original irons and full set of reeding irons (desperately want the hollow/round bases)
#80 Faithfull scraper plane
Rider LA block plane
Stanley block plane
Rider bullnose plane
Rider shoulder plane
Beading moulding planes 1/8 to 1" in 1/4" steps
a dozen different picture moulding planes
and around 20 mixed moulding planes form a jumble sale not yet really looked at

Record No5
Axminster rider 3in1 shoulder/rebate
Axminster rider 62 LA
Qiangsheng LA block

Reading through this thread it's shocking how many of the early posters have dropped out. Sure, there are a few long time stalwarts, but it seems most people only stick with woodworking for a few years before dropping it in favour of a different hobby.

On that basis the logical choice of planes to buy should be in demand, second hand tools like Lie Nielsens or Records, that way when you come to sell (which statistically you will in two or three years) you'll lose the least amount of money!

Don't forget that some of us just drop off the perch - I'm still hoping for a few mre years.

Very true about buying used though. When I bought the Veritas skew blockplane I sold the much inferior LN version I had bought some years earlier and got back quite a lot more than I had paid for it.

Jim

Stanley #4
Record Bailey #5-1/2
Record block plane (a skip find).

That's all (unless you count a home made router plane, using a 1/2" chisel).

Back