Forstner Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a descent Forstner bit to finish of a project iv started.

1.jpg

Iv been using Axminster's Axcaliber Forstner Bits but it's only scratching the surface of the piece of wood in the picture above. I have the Drill Press on the correct speed setting and iv even brought a new Forstner bit from Axminster thinking the previous drill bit was blunt.

What do people recommend?

Cheers

Ben

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 577
I've struggled with cheap Axi Forsteners in the past and ones from Planet.

I now have a set of Record Forstner bits that are pretty good but for cheap singles in a drill-press or on the lathe I think you can do a lot worse than Disston MAD bits.

Screwfix sell them and they're in the same ballpark as Axi Forstners and cut a heck of a lot better.

HTH
Jon

+1 for Clico and Colt. If I had to choose I think the Colts just shade the Clicos. I would also like to know what others think of the FIsch bits that Axi now stock in place of Colt - I can't help wondering whether the change has more to do with the profit margin Axi can make on them then whether or not the quality is equal or better.

Jim

what timber is it? my Screwfix ones would drill everything i have tried without a problem. shouldn't need anything that premium unless you are drilling a lot of holes!

marcros":xe435m00 said:
what timber is it? my Screwfix ones would drill everything i have tried without a problem. shouldn't need anything that premium unless you are drilling a lot of holes!

I also have got a set from screwfix Excellent for site work and even knocking the odd screw still hasn't killed them
The set i got go up to 51mm if memory serves

I also use famag but they never get taken away from the shop LOL

Ben,

I notice from the picture you're going into end grain. I've got Axminster's "value" set and the 'popular' ones are due for a sharpen really. I find I need a huge amount of pressure to cut at all in hardwood end grain. I think this is because the rim of the cutter doesn't cut much that way - it pushes the fibres aside, and the chisel part of the cutter (the pair of blades diametrically opposite, inside the circle) does most of the work. If the rotational speed isn't right and there's not enough pressure, it will burn rather than cut.

I suggest you use a vacuum pipe close by too, as end-grain produces fine dust rather than chippings, and these also get in the way of the cutting action, never mind generally being bothersome.

Did you find it was the depth stop on the drill press? If so, you're not alone!
(You can ask me how I know, but I won't say!)

E.

If I only need to drill 1 or 2 holes I'll get an Axi for a couple of quid.

If I need to drill lots of holes repeatably, and with good quality, I'll get a Colt Maxicut for twenty quid.

The clue is in the price!!

The saw tooth type of Forstner is said to be much more effective in end grain.

Jim

Thank's for all the reply's, unfortunately it's not the depth stop.

download.jpg

Apple i think although I'm no wood expert so i could be wrong.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 222
yetloh":frjdngo1 said:
The saw tooth type of Forstner is said to be much more effective in end grain.

Jim

That's true - it makes a huge difference. A Gedge's pattern or solid nose auger bit would do too.

Back