Forstner bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedereco

Established Member
Reaction score
could anyone tell me the right speed to run forstner bits on a pillar drill. I only have a bench mounted 5 speed pillar drill but i'm not sure whats best speed to run at . any help would be much appreciated

Gedero
It depends on what you are cutting and what diameter the bits are. AFAIK there is no difference in cutting speed, diameter for diameter, between a Forstner and, say, a twin-lip-and-spur, but I'm open to correction there.

If you are using a 1/4" forstner, turn the speed up, and if you are cutting 2" holes get is as low as it can go, especially if you have only 5 gears.

If the whole machine vibrates around the floor (or off the bench) you have the speed set too high!
:)
Steve

hi generaly forstener bits are run slower. there is alot of metal touching the wood and you will get alot of heat build up if running to fast.

Crikey, if I read that correctly they actually recommend a Forstner to run faster (in softwood - small sizes) than a twin-lip-and-spur. I must try that.
Thanks for the link.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back