For sale or not for sale ? Poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For sale or not for sale ?

• Continue offering items on the forum ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stop posting used items for sale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
matt":36k2nbza said:
(without even thinking to question)

Now there is the crux of the matter if you haven't got the common sense or couldn't be bothered to research the item for sale before buying it, really if you are that stupid then you deserve to be sold a lemon!

I wouldn't care if Norm Abram was selling it I'd still want to find out about it first!

seaco":1vc6kap4 said:
matt":1vc6kap4 said:
(without even thinking to question)

Now there is the crux of the matter if you haven't got the common sense or couldn't be bothered to research the item for sale before buying it, really if you are that stupid then you deserve to be sold a lemon!

I wouldn't care if Norm Abram was selling it I'd still want to find out about it first!

My point was how some people will base assumptions on association rather than not being bothered or applying common sense. It is their fault at the end of the day but in a forum I guess, as the seller, you can be aware of the danger and decide whether you want to help avoid any confusion.

matt":5ocfkf4x said:
As already stated I really do not have a problem with stuff being sold regardless of source, however, against the backdrop of a forum and underlying expectations I do think it is helpful for the seller to be abundantly clear about the background to the items.

For example... It is quite clear that Blister (sorry Blister, just using you to make the point rather than as an actual example) is a keen and experienced turner. Therefore, as an inexperienced turner, I could spot Blister selling a lathe and quite easily assume (without even thinking to question) that I was buying in to what Blister found so good about this lathe when he invested before upgrading.

Likewise, if Philly were given a wooden plane that belonged to an uncle once removed because a distant cousin knows "Philly likes planes" and... it was a pile of pooh. Philly could unwittingly pass it off as something a bit special simply because it is Philly selling it.

If I bought something from Wizer I could easily assume it was still in the original packaging, not having been used at all.

The point I am trying to make is that a seller really needs to be aware of how they are perceived in order to not inadvertently and quite innocently mislead people.

At the end of the day the onus is on the buyer to satisfy themselves that what they are buying is what they think it is, however, this is a back-slapping matey sort of forum so......

thing is though that this being the matey kind of forum it is when you buy something you have the chance to have a chat to the seller and find out about it - and quite possibly pick up other tiops etc on how its used.

for example whebn i bought my rexon bandsaw from blister he was totally upfront about its possible shortcomings and i chose to buy it anyway because at the time i only needed a little one.

likewise when i sold a chainsaw to dusty dave i took the time to go through safe use, sharpening, potential problems etc etc - you dont get that on ebay.

also the sales side often facilitates the social exchange - which is what sets buying here appart from buying on ebay or gumtree or whatever.

for example i recently sold a polesaw to paulm and delivered it - and he took the time tio show me round his 'shop discuss routers , give me lunch , and i came away with a couple of binders of magazines and a few lumps of wood i wasnt expecting in addition to the agreed beer vouchers

likewise i bought a T11 from paul J and again i got tea and biscuits some turning chat , a tour of his 'shop etc etc

loads of examples - but the point i'm trying to make is that the thing about buying here is you can get a picture of who you can trust not to sell you a lemon, - like in your example above if philly had a rubbish wooden plane to sell , i'm sure he would be upfront about the fact it wasnt a philly plane.

anyway nuff said

about those kittens.... ;)

big soft moose":18dsye74 said:
matt":18dsye74 said:
As already stated I really do not have a problem with stuff being sold regardless of source, however, against the backdrop of a forum and underlying expectations I do think it is helpful for the seller to be abundantly clear about the background to the items.

For example... It is quite clear that Blister (sorry Blister, just using you to make the point rather than as an actual example) is a keen and experienced turner. Therefore, as an inexperienced turner, I could spot Blister selling a lathe and quite easily assume (without even thinking to question) that I was buying in to what Blister found so good about this lathe when he invested before upgrading.

Likewise, if Philly were given a wooden plane that belonged to an uncle once removed because a distant cousin knows "Philly likes planes" and... it was a pile of pooh. Philly could unwittingly pass it off as something a bit special simply because it is Philly selling it.

If I bought something from Wizer I could easily assume it was still in the original packaging, not having been used at all.

The point I am trying to make is that a seller really needs to be aware of how they are perceived in order to not inadvertently and quite innocently mislead people.

At the end of the day the onus is on the buyer to satisfy themselves that what they are buying is what they think it is, however, this is a back-slapping matey sort of forum so......

thing is though that this being the matey kind of forum it is when you buy something you have the chance to have a chat to the seller and find out about it - and quite possibly pick up other tiops etc on how its used.

for example whebn i bought my rexon bandsaw from blister he was totally upfront about its possible shortcomings and i chose to buy it anyway because at the time i only needed a little one.

likewise when i sold a chainsaw to dusty dave i took the time to go through safe use, sharpening, potential problems etc etc - you dont get that on ebay.

also the sales side often facilitates the social exchange - which is what sets buying here appart from buying on ebay or gumtree or whatever.

for example i recently sold a polesaw to paulm and delivered it - and he took the time tio show me round his 'shop discuss routers , give me lunch , and i came away with a couple of binders of magazines and a few lumps of wood i wasnt expecting in addition to the agreed beer vouchers

likewise i bought a T11 from paul J and again i got tea and biscuits some turning chat , a tour of his 'shop etc etc

loads of examples - but the point i'm trying to make is that the thing about buying here is you can get a picture of who you can trust not to sell you a lemon, - like in your example above if philly had a rubbish wooden plane to sell , i'm sure he would be upfront about the fact it wasnt a philly plane.

anyway nuff said

about those kittens.... ;)

Exactly my point.

I've bought a few bits off the forum and hope that people don't stop. I almost had Blisters Jet260 off him but due to factors missed out in the end. But if he was to list something I wanted again I'd be straight in there.

Keep it going is my vote

Blister, if not for you, I'd never have gotten a Startrite pillar drill for the s (frankly) silly price you offered it for. Many thanks to you.
Keep selling mate. Many people here benefit from your good self, and if you make a few quid here and there, good for you. I don't know what prompted this thread, but assume some n*$%£"d has moaned about you listing. They're probably pineappled off that they can't do what you do.
Don't let it get you down mate. Many people here speak VERY highly of you.
Cheers.
Adam.
(What bargains have you got at the moment) :wink:

97 for and 5 against, i declare the for's have it.
Keep on keeping on Allen. :D
Now can we close this thread. :?:

MODS

At the request of the ORIGINAL poster can you lock this thread now

I Think its all clear on the forum members opinions

Allen

I'm showing my age here now, but I wonder if CAPTAIN BLACK is one of the 5 Mysterons :?:

Anyway Allen the numbers don't lie, so you have the support of the forum.

Cheers

Mike

Indeed.............The Majority has spoken lets lock the thread now.

Noooo

Let's keep talking about it. :roll:

Let's be clear though - the very clear message is keep selling, but you have no mandate to demand that for sale threads (or any others) are locked. This one will die without censorship, just like kittens.

Just when we thought we were out...along comes Jake to drag us back in again :lol: :lol:

Chilli
by Antony Worrall Thompson
Serves 4

Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 1 to 2 hours

Ingredients
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1kg/2lb 2oz beef mince
• 2 onions, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
• 1 stick celery, finely diced
• 2 chillies, finely diced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 tbsp ground coriander
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• 1 tbsp paprika
• 2 tsp cayenne
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 tbsp tomato purée
• 400g/14oz tinned tomatoes
• 250ml/9fl oz beef stock
• 25g/1oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
• 400g/14oz tinned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• small bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped

To serve
• basmati rice

Method
1. Heat a large pan until hot then add the olive oil and beef mince. Fry until browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the onions, garlic, celery and chillies and sweat for 5-6 minutes until golden.
3. Add all the spices and fry for one minute.
4. Return the beef to the pan and stir to combine.
5. Add the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-1½ hours until very tender.
7. Add the chocolate and kidney beans and simmer for a further five minutes until hot through.
8. Check the seasoning before adding the coriander leaves and serving.

Blister":m4bjpygn said:
O look

its

101 for yes

and

5 for no :wink:

I'd forgotten to vote, make it 102.

Just forget the other subtext of the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back