For sale or not for sale ? Poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For sale or not for sale ?

• Continue offering items on the forum ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stop posting used items for sale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blister":1dec7k63 said:
Each time I purchased these lathes ( Upgrading ) I sold on the previous lathe

I started with a

Draper

then a Poolwood

next was a Woodfast

Then the Silverdrive Statesman

And now the VB36

:roll:

And eventually you will realise that you can't beat a Dominion, Myford, or a Coronet Major! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I won't be selling my Coronet Combo, but I am disposing of lots of stuff slowly, so I hope it's realised I am drastically pruning the stock, before my kids have to do it for me.
:D

Seriously, though I wish people could leave other people alone. A woman in Smethwick has been ticketed for littering. With her toddler, she was feeding the geese in the park! The 'jobsworth' wanted to give the kid a ticket too, but she agreed he was too young to prosecute! What next?
:roll:

John

Bloonose":1gxdluy6 said:
This is a prime example " Looks to have had very light use "

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

Did you not read the response to your last post? He buys full workshops and sells what is surplus. He ended up with three of those tools, I bought the other one. Allen has been an active member here, joining in with posts more than he sells stuff. I don't see what your issue is? Are you saying you don't want to benefit from good quality second hand tools?

If you buy a collection of tools/machines/goods of any description, you OWN them. It matters not a jot how long you've owned them you own them.
That gives you the right to sell all or part of them in any-way-shape or form!
If you sell something that does not belong to you, that could mean it might be stolen, or you may be acting as someone's agent.
Which are you suggesting?
Bloonose":hx5avj7t said:
As I was the one who brought up the reselling thing I thought I'd look back on Blisters history and there are a lot of posts which start with For Sale and not just lathes.

I think if you are selling tools which you did not really own you need to be more up front about where you got them no matter how much of a bargain ! We all come here to help each other out and selling to each other is just a perk not a reason to come.

And remember who started this post asking for opinions and a vote.

(Most of the people who offer items on these forums, generally offer them for less than they do when they put them on the bay if the offer is not taken up)

John. B

John. B":2seomnf4 said:
If you buy a collection of tools/machines/goods of any description, you OWN them. It matters not a jot how long you've owned them you own them.
That gives you the right to sell all or part of them in any-way-shape or form!
If you sell something that does not belong to you, that could mean it might be stolen, or you may be acting as someone's agent.
Which are you suggesting?
Bloonose":2seomnf4 said:
As I was the one who brought up the reselling thing I thought I'd look back on Blisters history and there are a lot of posts which start with For Sale and not just lathes.

I think if you are selling tools which you did not really own you need to be more up front about where you got them no matter how much of a bargain ! We all come here to help each other out and selling to each other is just a perk not a reason to come.

And remember who started this post asking for opinions and a vote.

(Most of the people who offer items on these forums, generally sell them for less than they do when they put them on the bay if the offer is not taken up)

John. B

... and the only time i'm aware of that allen has sold something he doesnt actually own was when he kindly brought some stuff back from ireland to sell on behalf of another member - to avoid buyers having to pay freight charges across the irish sea - surely you arent saying that this kind of good natured behaviour which benefits everyone shouldnt be allowed ?

have stayed out off this but have followed the discussion with great interest. so for what its worth here is my tuppence worth
if a member off the forum has tools for sale then i want to know about it just in case he has something i want
where those tools came from doesn't bother me as long as they were aquired legitimately
if they sell lots of tools or just the odd one now and then doesn't bother me either
i would rather buy from a forum member with a good reputation than from a stranger
not sure how this all started but seems like the poll says it all so how about enough is enough
sorry if any off this offends anyone but it shouldn't

What I wish we'd got here is someone who refurbishes old planes for a modest fee, as used to happen on Woodnet, until they went all holy about it.
It would also help all those 'how do I start with planes' questions.
I'd do it myself if I was any good at it.

I've no objection to sales. I've bought two items from forum members, in each case exactly what I expected, for a fair price and met a couple of nice people. No problems.

I think a forum that doesn't have kit for sale by members is lacking. It gives you a chance to pick something up that you might not otherwise find on the usual old tool websites. It gives newcomers a chance of expanding their toolkit - with someone to advise them on the use of the item, if needed. It gives a trusted source of second hand tools.
I could go on, at length, but there's already enough of that on this topic. I suppose my view is if you don't like for sale items appearing, do as you do for any other topic that doesn't interest you - don't open it.
Plus, always remember we're only here courtesy of Charley, and since the forum rules allow it, one would presume Charley doesn't have a problem with it. If you do, start your own forum.
Rant switch off.

PS I've bought from Blister, a hardly used Triton router. It's great, still not seen one at the price. Thanks Blister.

Jake":2nb7ckf3 said:
I don't see that makes any difference, provided people can comment on his mark-up. People sell stuff all over these forums for profit, and if Blister is doing so as a sideline (which i think is what his first post says), that seems no different to me.

I don't see why people can't comment on the mark-up though - same as when over-hyped and over-priced new kit is promoted and sold on here.

I agree - there is no need for trolling or throwing the dummy out, if the price isn't what one would pay for it. As with all things it'll only sell for what someone is willing to pay.

Blister - haven't bought owt yet - but keep on mate!

laird":rwnc07oz said:
PS I've bought from Blister, a hardly used Triton router. It's great, still not seen one at the price. Thanks Blister.

It's a good example.

There were several people on here who picked up the £99 ones from B&Q and re-sold them on here. Some of them resold them at cost, as a favour for members, others for (a varying amount of) profit. Some of the latter threads came in for a bit of comment, especially as plenty of other people (members or non-members) had done the same but put them up on Ebay on BINs for less than some of the prices quoted on here.

All seemed fair enough to me, the sellers were trying to make a margin, the people commenting on the for sale threads here were trying to save buyers on here from paying an unnecessarily large one.

Its quite obvious from the posts and the poll that we want both Blister and FOR SALE threads in general to continue, so lets call it a day now and lock the thread down. Its like one of those bloody itches in the centre of your back that you cannot scratch as it is just out of reach :twisted: and its driving me around the bend.

To tell you the truth I have given up smoking (6 days now :-({|= ) so I am crawling the walls.

I hope that my doctor is not reading this as he thought that I given it up years ago. :duno: Wish me luck because I really do need to kick this filthy habit. I have even been known to hang out of the bathroom window at our local hospital just to have a drag on a fag, and yet I was in there having a tumour removed (yes I know stupid born bast--d who does not deserve the bed space)

Cheers

Mike

Wizer, have read the posts, if I buy up whole workshops full of tools and resell them, that makes me a 2nd hand tool dealer not a forum member selling some unwanted tools.

I did not start this thread, I have not complained to anyone or said I don't want tools to be offered for sale, but I just want people to be clear in what is being offered for sale and the motive behind it. I have bought from members and indeed sold to some, but stated quite clearly why and what I was selling. I have never suggested that he was selling stolen goods as John B was trying to say? :evil: I meant he has never used them in anger so to speak, bought for resale.

I have been pi55ed off by one of the mods in the past claiming I was asking too much for a plane I no longer used so I removed it from sale here and sold it on Ebay, for the asking price. I do not comment on prices asked for for things for sale, re router which apparently started all this, as you can ask what you wish and if somebody wants to pay, so be it!

I try not to criticise anyone's work/project as that can be offensive, I only try to reply to posts with offers of help and advice, but don't ask questions to which you don't want an honest answer or expect only to get positive remarks...

Time for kittens, I think.

cats-1.jpg

Mike.C":3zauucrk said:
To tell you the truth I have given up smoking (6 days now :-({|= ) so I am crawling the walls.

I hope that my doctor is not reading this as he thought that I given it up years ago. :duno: Wish me luck because I really do need to kick this filthy habit. I have even been known to hang out of the bathroom window at our local hospital just to have a drag on a fag, and yet I was in there having a tumour removed (yes I know stupid born bast--d who does not deserve the bed space)

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

For what it's worth, well done. Just approach it mentally as; 'I am putting off my next smoke until 'after lunch' - 'after tea' - until tomorrow morning... etc. etc.

You eventually reach the stage where you know you can put it off for longer.. and then you realise you'd be daft to have that cigarette. That's when you have virtually cracked it.

Best of luck

John :)

Benchwayze":3fmy8u8t said:
Mike.C":3fmy8u8t said:

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

For what it's worth, well done. Just approach it mentally as; 'I am putting off my next smoke until 'after lunch' - 'after tea' - until tomorrow morning... etc. etc.

You eventually reach the stage where you know you can put it off for longer.. and then you realise you'd be daft to have that cigarette. That's when you have virtually cracked it.

Best of luck

John :)

Hi John, thanks for the advice mate. I had no idea how hard kicking the habit would be when I really put my mind to it :roll: All I seem to do is dream and think about tobacco, cigars and cigarettes.

Cheers

Mike

The funny thing is that when you have stopped for a while, you'll find it difficult to believe that you once thought it was so difficult to stop. That won't make any sense now, though - for now, one day, or rather one trigger, at a time.

Jake":28682ej5 said:
The funny thing is that when you have stopped for a while, you'll find it difficult to believe that you once thought it was so difficult to stop. That won't make any sense now, though - for now, one day, or rather one trigger, at a time.

Hi Jake :D snap :D My neighbour just said the same thing as you. She said one day you will look back and think, "I don't know what all the bloo-y fuss was about"

Oh well fingers crossed.

By the way Blister sorry to highjack your thread.

Cheers

Mike

I'm sure Blister will be relieved that the thread has wandered elsewhere...

Good luck with the op and recovery, btw.

Mike.C":tu8l693h said:
Jake":tu8l693h said:

Hi Jake :D snap :D My neighbour just said the same thing as you. She said one day you will look back and think, "I don't know what all the bloo-y fuss was about"

Oh well fingers crossed.

By the way Blister sorry to highjack your thread.

Cheers

Mike

15 years. Don't know what all the fuss was about...

Did you like the kittens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back