For sale or not for sale ? Poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For sale or not for sale ?

• Continue offering items on the forum ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stop posting used items for sale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
pheww!!!! some tirade... I wonder what brought all this on? :roll:
Has someone complained about items offered for sale on the forum?
If so why? I thought most of us regarded the 'Forum' as a wood wrecking community,
and as such, made comments or discussions about how, what and why we do it.
If as Allen says he sometimes has items surplus to requirements,
and then offers them to forum members before offering it to that giant leech on the internet called the 'Bay' I say good for him. :lol:
I think by the comments so far posted you have the answer.

John. B

PS I've just sold my lathe so I'll mark the for sale thread thus :twisted:

All the posts so far have been positive re selling unwanted items, but I was totally unaware that Blister is buying up tools from where ever and then re selling them on the forum which is not really the same as selling tools you never use! I do understand that like myself, having sold some jigs recently, we may come across some item which you have to buy more than you require. EG a saw which also came with some chisels which you did not need, but this should be an odd occasion not every few weeks or days!

Perhaps I have not understood how he obtains these tools, but I did contact him via PM about a Pillar Drill he was selling here a few days back and from the response gathered that this seems to be the case?

I don't have a problem with anyone selling on here, a valuable asset, but its the grey area between members trying to make a living from sales and those who are doing it as a "hobby".

I'm not trying to provoke anyone here, its just my opinion.

John. B":1vy5wl6u said:
pheww!!!! some tirade... I wonder what brought all this

the background to this is these two threads

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=36626

and

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=36568

Personally I'm truly sick of the argument about what is and isnt acceptable - which is why i'd like to see a rule that clarifies it once and for all (ive reached the point where i really dont care what position admin takes so long as ithe clarification stops all the bickering and teddy throwing)

I must admit that I didnt realise that blister was buying up stuff to sell on as the bandsaw i bought from him had previously been his old boys, but that said so long as he is passing stuff on rather than selling for profit i cant see a problem with it

9fingers":zym8fe9x said:
I'm all in favour Blister. I've yet to benefit from one of your sales but maybe one day.....

Has anyone who isn't actually posted so yet? :roll:

Blister does not buy and sell to earn his living. He saves himself money buy buying complete workshop sell outs. He keeps the lions share of what he gets and then, eventually, lets the odd thing go on here. He's a full time lorry driver and earns plenty enough to keep him going. As far as I know, he never really makes a profit from what he sells here. I certainly know what he's paid for the items I've bought off him and in some cases he made (albeit small) loss. So please, let's not start accusing Allen of being a trader. I think that might be cutting off ones nose to spite ones face. It'd be totally different if he was listing things on a daily basis and didn't have a proper job.

PLEASE NOTE

I Am NOT buying thing up just to sell them on

As I stated already , when I went to view a BETTER lathe than the one I already had , I was offered other items as well

Each time I purchased these lathes ( Upgrading ) I sold on the previous lathe

I started with a

Draper

then a Poolwood

next was a Woodfast

Then the Silverdrive Statesman

And now the VB36

So those of you that think I just buy anything to move on are WRONG

I have just about had enough of this as well :roll:

All over some items for sale :roll:

big soft moose":et8kd5pl said:
so long as he is passing stuff on rather than selling for profit i cant see a problem with it

I don't see that makes any difference, provided people can comment on his mark-up. People sell stuff all over these forums for profit, and if Blister is doing so as a sideline (which i think is what his first post says), that seems no different to me.

I don't see why people can't comment on the mark-up though - same as when over-hyped and over-priced new kit is promoted and sold on here.

Gary":1k1n8xtd said:
9fingers":1k1n8xtd said:
I'm all in favour Blister. I've yet to benefit from one of your sales but maybe one day.....

Has anyone who isn't actually posted so yet? :roll:

Yes at least two posters here have bought from Blister but that is up to them to declare if they wish.

Bob

I agree Jake-
I have no problem with anyone selling things, infact i think it is a positive- however i also feel any thread should be open to comment. I'm not talking trolling or slagging off, but just comment about the item including it's price, if someone suggests a price is to high, the vendor can equally comment as to why it is worth such an amount.
Thats my opinion. If it is decided different to this by the Mod's so be it.

As to Blister selling these items or anyone, no problem as far as i'm concerned.

Blister":16mak2sy said:
OK ,

here we go again , This for sale or not for sale thread is to TRY and clear up the shall I or shan't I offer items on the forum ?

This raised its head some years back

yes or no ?

Blister. you are fine to sell items on the forum AS LONG as you comply with the forum rules pertaining to selling.

( 5.8 ) Items For Sale
Once established as a member who contributes to the forum, we will allow private individuals to post that are looking to sell or buy an item. The thread must have FOR SALE in the title. As items move quickly within the forum, a member can bump such a thread back up to the top just once.

Members may not promote their own sales that are on other sites such as eBay.

We have discussed a 'for sale' forum many times and the decision made was that we do not have a specific forum

I say keep it up..it is no ones business where you get your stuff from
and from what i have seen members always seem to get a deal of you..
I like looking at the for sale threads and have bought a few bits of the
forum...
Well that's my opinion.
For what its worth
P.s
I think all talk about items selling should stay via P/M and not in
the open thread.

gary i assume your talking about me? single hard man? what a load of rubbish you speak. i do not object to the for sale threads at all. its just that blister all ways seems to be selling stuff? as though the forum is a link to the cash cow.

clewlowm":prdk6cqv said:
gary i assume your talking about me? single hard man? what a load of rubbish you speak. i do not object to the for sale threads at all. its just that blister all ways seems to be selling stuff? as though the forum is a link to the cash cow.

you are as entitled to express your opinion as anyone else (at least you've the cojones to do it in public unlike the other three people who voted no but didnt say anything on the thread) but i dont agree with it - blister has had a few sales lately but none of them are going to make him rich so if its a "cash cow" its a very thin sickly one which doesnt yeild much milk.

I dont have a problem with anyone selling stuff but if i did i wouldnt single blister out - especially as more than one member is actually in business selling stuff (which although maybe not for sale on the forum is certainly promoted here) , which allen isnt.

like tony said so long as he stays within the forum rules on for sale threads hes as entitled as anyone else to sell - and the rules dont say anything about volume.

circles.png

To the moderators.

General Woodwork section

Nearly half my screen is now stickies.

So an item for sale disappears from the main screen within minutes.

Perhaps items for sale could stay on first screen for 24 hours?

John
Most of the stickies are currently for the Charity Auction threads - these will expire in a week, so please hold tight 'til then.
Cheers
Philly :D

As I was the one who brought up the reselling thing I thought I'd look back on Blisters history and there are a lot of posts which start with For Sale and not just lathes.

This is a prime example " Looks to have had very light use "

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

I think if you are selling tools which you did not really own you need to be more up front about where you got them no matter how much of a bargain ! We all come here to help each other out and selling to each other is just a perk not a reason to come.

And remember who started this post asking for opinions and a vote.

hi blister

let the poll do your talking , it clear enough what the majority think , don't get all wound up over it. it's not worth it , we know what your all about pay no attention to the rest . I'm always on the lookout for a bargain so please keep posting , just cause i have not bought from you yet don't mean i won't in the future. :wink: :lol: hc . keep smiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back