FOR SALE - Backsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Given the current flurry of tenon saw posts I thought I'd better actually have a proper look at what I have "spare". Not alot, but fwiw. Blades came out looking a bit darker than reality.

12", unknown maker. Beech handle with "Patent" nuts. 2 7/8"-3 1/16" under the back. Currently toothless. Not a first quality saw I don't think, but feels pretty good and the blade's in good nick. We can discuss what to do about getting some teeth on it and how many, btw.

14" F Constantine (anytime between 1845-1900) 10.5ppi crosscut, beech London pattern handle with brass split nuts. 2 3/8"-2 3/4" under the back. Couple of teeth missing but they'll "grow back" over successive sharpenings. Previous owner loved it enough to put his initial on every bolt head, but if truth be told the handle feels a little on the thin side. Sharpened, set and ready to use.

14" Wm Tyzack, Sons & Turner 12ppi crosscut, beech handle with untouched split nuts (getting harder and harder to find that). 2 7/8"-3" under the back. I will shed no tears at all if no-one ever buys this saw from me. 'Nuff said. Sharpened, set and ready to use. Sold - I may sob...

Sensible offers via PM, please. Postage at cost. Don't be afraid to make an offer; worst I can do is say "no" and I won't hold it against you if you're a tight-fisted skinflint. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I am but a poor writer trying to make a living I have Pm'd you a ridiculous offer
Colinj

Chuckle. You don't really think I'm cutting right back to only one backsaw, do you?
rotfl.gif

I though you were having a clear out in order that the new saw till does not take up one whole side of the workshop :lol:

Andy

I was a bit alarmed by the fact that Alf apparently has so many saws that she has to have labels on them. Labels! Ohdear, ohdear...

Got mi jacket already...

Pekka

P.S: I'd love to make an offer for the second one, but I don't have the faintest about the price range. Havetocheck...

It was for The Big Bash and the greater edumacation of the saw-ly ignorant - just never taken them off again. Heck, it's not even been six months yet; what's the rush? :roll: :lol:

Weellll, it might explain the labels. :D

Are you sure that the labels don't read "Class: Back saws - Subsection: Steel back - Handle subclass: London - Serial #362"? :D

I've been working with the japanese saws and really like them but have been toying with the idea of getting a good, comparable back saw to see if I liked those better. Starting from sharpening it myself will probably give a bit wrong results of what's the real capability of those.

Pekka

Latest posts

Back