Flight advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
It must be 30 years since I last flew in a plane. I am off to the Philippines in a few months time for a 3 month stay. I am diabetic and will need to take 3 months supply of insulin with me and it needs to be kept in a fridge. I was wondering if I should pack it in my suitcase and that it would be cold enough in the cargo hold or take it as hand luggage and put it in the planes fridge. I would rather it go in the hold as my hand luggage would be about the limit in weight that I am allowed but I am at a loss as to what would be best.

Also any ideas on the best mosquito repellant. Many thanks in advance.

i cant help on any of your questions, but the weight limit on hand luggage doesnt seem to be rigidly applied. mine was a couple of kg over on the trip that I have just done and they didnt seem to care.

the different airlines will probably be similar prices, but some allow you a few kg more baggage, so it is worth comparing. Anything important, i would take as hand luggage- I have known the contents of my luggage to be very warm to the touch in the middle of my bag, from being sat in the sun whilst being loaded/unloaded.

Contact the airline, I am pretty sure that temp sensitives medicines can be carried in the plane fridge for you.

As Rorschach says for your medicine. For insect repellent I use Jungle Formula from Boots but whichever brand you use ensure it contains at least 50% Deet to be effective. Check with your local surgery for the jabs you need. I've only ever stayed in Malaria areas for a maximum of 3 weeks and have taken anti-malarials, mostly Doxicyclin, but I'm unsure if it's OK to take them for a long period - again your Practice Nurse will advise you.

John

Afternoon Geoff

Mosquito repellant. Marmite. Don't smear it on yourself, just eat about a baked bean sized portion once a day. Apparently the smell of it in your sweat puts them off. It works for me.

There is probably a 50-50 chance that you'll try this. :D

Anti-Malarials are a different thing all together and I can't help there I'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

Geoff,

Pl see https://www.diabetes.org.uk/travel for extensive travel advice.

My daughter, Type 1, always keeps the insulin with her - you are well stuffed when the muppets lose your hold luggage; a 3 days delay for luggage and therefore without insulin would quite literally kill her.
Some airlines allow extra hand baggage for medical equipment.
There are polystyrene insulation packs to hold the insulin bottles or make your own - I know about the keep cool advice, but don't put in hold because it could freeze, which would not be good.
My daughter has an insulin pump and therefore the insulin is at room temperature for the whole time and it does not seem to cause a problem. I think the keep cool advice is to help the longegivity of the insulin - therefore I would ditch all the insulin when returning home and get a fresh batch - a lot cheaper to the NHS than a hospital admission.

Have a good flight

Brian

Many thanks Guys. especially to Brian. I was not aware of the polystyrene insulation packs. When I come to book my ticket I will ask the airline about medical supplies and if I can take them as hand luggage as I will have quite a few other medical items as well.

John15":29sd59py said:
As Rorschach says for your medicine. For insect repellent I use Jungle Formula from Boots but whichever brand you use ensure it contains at least 50% Deet to be effective. Check with your local surgery for the jabs you need. I've only ever stayed in Malaria areas for a maximum of 3 weeks and have taken anti-malarials, mostly Doxicyclin, but I'm unsure if it's OK to take them for a long period - again your Practice Nurse will advise you.

John

We went to the far east last year and also used the Jungle Formula from Boots, although I did have to order it online into my local store.
Very good stuff and did what it's supposed to do so would recommend it.

*Edit
Sorry it was the Boots Repel Insect Repellant Roll On 50% Deet we used.

Chippygeoff":2dvfjszd said:
Many thanks Guys. especially to Brian. I was not aware of the polystyrene insulation packs. When I come to book my ticket I will ask the airline about medical supplies and if I can take them as hand luggage as I will have quite a few other medical items as well.

I reckon hand luggage would be the best option if it's allowed Geoff incase the worst was to happen and your suitcase goes awol. :!:

Ask your doctor about japenese b encephylitis vacination as well as this has to be administered and then you need a qualified medic to watch you for 45 min to an hour in case of adverse reactions. I had to have this when I was sent to Borneo and the philipines for 2 years by the army

Geoff do you need anyone to carry your bags for ya? I'm already packing my cameras! some beautiful places and critters to shoot there you lucky sod. :cool:

Brian

Thanks again everyone for your very good advice, all of which I have written down. Brian my friend, I am going over there to get married to a local lady and if we can get through the red tape in the 3 months I am there bring her back with me, I will be needing care soon and the lady in question is a nurse as well.

If you have yours meds in your hand luggage do check with the airline that will be ok.

Dont forget the strange rules on liquids!

My nephee had encephilytis on trip in China, he ended up in intensive care in a hospital in Bangkok for 3 months -so its worth getting a vaccine if common wherr you are goinh.

My very best wishes for your adventure, a very brave thing to do. Please do your due diligence super thoroughly.

My mother and step father recently completed a 98 day tour around the world. He is diabetic and they took all his required meds for the trip with them. Insulin was transported in hand luggage in small insulated bags with a freezer icepack (freezeable plastic block thing) to keep cool. Whilst traveling there was always a freezer about to refreeze the pack, for the next flight or for a long daytrip in the heat. They also suggest a doctors letter listing the medications you need for the duration of your visit, with such a large quantity customs can be a pain.

F.

Also something to note. Keep the medication discrete and don't broadcast that you are diabetic when you are over there. Such a large quantity of high quality medication would have serious value on the black market.

Some good advice above Geoff. A couple of points to add (though I haven't flown at all for about 3 years, I used to be a very frequent business traveller, just about world wide):

1. Re hand baggage: Whether or not you get charged depends an awful lot on which airline you're flying with, and which class (F, C, or Y) you've booked. Some airlines WILL definitely charge (or some even not allow) hand bags above certain sizes/weights - no ifs, buts, maybes (I have good cause to know this as I often had a lot of fragile carry-on kit). It is therefore VITAL that you contact the chosen airline in advance to find out exactly what they will/will not do for you in your particular circumstances.

2. Get your GP to give you a document detailing IN FULL your name address, phone number, Passport Number, exact medication name, daily dosage, etc. Get the GP to do it on his official headed paper and to add as many official-looking stamps and signatures to it as is possible/reasonable - the more official it looks the better. Reason is that even if the airline itself is not interested in such documentation, you will have Customs inspection on arrival. There's a high chance they will be interested in "weird-looking" stuff in your bags, especially if it could be "drugs". And there's also the check-in procedure on departure - just as/even more onerous.

3. Depending on what arrangements the airline makes with you before departure, it MAY be necessary to split your total package of meds into 2 parts - smaller for carry on, larger for hold baggage. I agree with the others that you should not do this unless absolutely necessary, but if your checked bags do go missing you'll have (say) a couple of days supply, minimum, + hopefully time for the airline to find your bag - AND the above document gives you a start point for buying new locally if your bag is completely gone.

4. Make sure your insurance will cover your extra (meds) cost if 3. above does happen.

5. Despite what others have said above, I can 100% assure you that ALL baggage holds in ALL modern pax aircraft are definitely both pressurised and heated. BUT - according to what else is loaded on your flight (a lot of airfreight travels on virtually all pax flights), the pax cabin pressure (altitude) will be held at about 8,000 ft, whereas the baggage holds will be higher (i.e. less pressure - perhaps 12,000 ft altitude). Ditto temperatures - pax cabin about 18 C, (in cruise); holds perhaps 8 or 10 C (again depending other cargo loaded and airline's own policy - more heat & more pressure in holds burns more fuel).

6. Lastly, not specific to you, check the expiry date on your Passport please. Last time I went there they wouldn't let you in if your Passport had less than 6 months to run before expiry.

7. I use a repellent called "Anti-Brum". In a small self-pump spray bottle. Stinks for the 1st 5 mins but very good. No idea if it's available in UK, sorry.

Enjoy your trip, it'll be great (once you're clear of that horrendous noisy circus called Manilla International Airport). :D

AES

Regarding the baggage weight limit, I was returning from holiday and my case was weighed. I was told it was overweight and I would he surcharged. I opened the case, removed a pair if sandals which I stuffed in my coat pockets, and all was well. It was a budget airline, if that makes any difference.

K

@Chippygeoff: In my experience graduate-owner is quite correct, both the airline and the class you're flying does make a big difference. Budget airlines are particularly "inflexible", although a lot also depends on the individual check in person and how they feel on that particular day too.

AES

Many thanks agin guys, especially Andy. I have booked my vaccinations and my passport is brand new so no problems there. I will certainly get a letter from my doctor. I will have a few days medication in my flight bag should the woerst happen to my main luggage and of course I will have good travel insurance.

Pleased to help Geoff - "been there, done that, loads of times" (just not with meds of your type).

BTW, I thought the advice from someone above about packing meds into insulation container/s was a very good idea but whatever you do, do NOT remove your meds from their original packaging/s - i.e. manufacturer's label/s, batch number/s, etc, your name (if, like here, prescription meds have to be labelled as being for your use only) all clearly visible/not removed is essential. Again, like the Dr. letter, this is to allay any doubts or suspicion by Customs & Immigration on arrival (and at departure if you've any left).

Have a good trip.

AES (Andy)

Back