Flight advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
graduate_owner":1jcn71vu said:
Regarding the baggage weight limit, I was returning from holiday and my case was weighed. I was told it was overweight and I would he surcharged. I opened the case, removed a pair if sandals which I stuffed in my coat pockets, and all was well. It was a budget airline, if that makes any difference.

K

If you're bag is slightly overweight then with a bit of luck you can apply a little surreptitious 'uplift' with the toes of your foot underneath the bag to reduce the weight. DAMHIKT :-"

Good luck with your trip. AES's advice is very sound (as are others).

Entirely the luck of the draw phil.p.

The Boy Scout's motto is your friend here - being unable to "prove" that you are you and that the meds (and any other "funny" stuff) you're carrying do belong to you could be "embarrassing" to say the least. DAMHIKT!

As well as living in Singapore permanently for 5 years (during which I travelled roughly every month to the whole region - and further afield), and since the 1970s travelling regularly all over the place (many of them "weirder" than the regular long-haul holiday destinations), I can assure you that the bit of hassle required to make the preparations I described are well worth while "just in case". If not needed that prep hassle just fades into insignificance against all the real problems if some Customs or Immigration bloke is simply having a bad day when you arrive, or if, the day before you arrive, the airport concerned has just had a major security/smuggling, etc, etc, alert. NOT under your control at all my friend and NOT at all funny if it does happen to you. As I say, DAMHIKT.

You're dead right, such stuff is very often NOT needed, but trust me, it CAN be! As above, "the luck of the draw" mate.

AES

Life systems insect repellent is very good. You can buy it in different strengths so that you can use a high strength on your clothes and a lesser one on you. Cotswold outdoor and other similar places sell it. They also sell mozzie nets and life systems do sterile packs as well so should you need emergency medical attention you can provide the needles etc knowing that they are clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you say you haven't flown in a while, you will notice some changes. Although I have never had my 'carry-on' luggage weighed (except on small island-hopping seaplanes), they are becoming more rigid on hand luggage size. So provided it is within the carry on size limits you should be fine. The 'baggage hold' is within the pressurised part of the aircraft, so is not necessarily as cold as you might have thought. It might not be heated to people-friendly temperatures but is not cold like the outside air - they carry live animals including pets in the hold. My usual policy is that if it is valuable, or irreplaceable, take it in your hand luggage.

As for medications, take a current prescription with you to prove that they are legit and not for any other purpose. I presume your insulin is injected (?) and I assume it is in daily doses? So it should not fall foul of the 100ml maximum for liquids. And I assume there are 'sharps' involved which might attract their attention. Speak to the airline for further guidance.

Back