Flexi Shafts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I recently bought meself the Axminster Multitool with flexi shaft kit. I use it with a caroll sanding drum primarily. However, the vibration of the hand piece is almost unbearable. Is this normal? After 10mins of use my hand is cramped and 'tingles' for about an hour.

yeh I've got it down on 2-3 and it still vibrates like twittery!

Can't say mine is that bad though there is a bit with a sanding drum on it. Mind you I tend to be heavy handed anyway

Pete

Wizer, I have the same kit and use it for texturing. I've not found any undue vibration with my handpiece and use it for longer than 10 mins at a time with no problems. I'd have a word with Axminster if I were you.

I don't find the handpiece itself quite as comfortable to hold as one that came with a no-brand, extra-cheap, non standard dremel copy I also have. Unfortunately the cheap handpiece only fits the machine it came with - which is fixed speed (too fast) and rather noisy in use.

Thanks guys. I will give them a ring in the morning. I did think it was a bit weird.

Hi T,

I have the Dremmel with flexi shaft and when it's on full RPM's and just ebing held in the hand there is little vibration.

Obviously, when applying the tool head, vibration and resitance will increase.

I would suggest that if your getting excessive vibes with it held in your hand then it's a problem.

Cheers,

Lee.

Just a thought on things to check:

does the vibration occur when the sanding drum is removed?
does it occur when there's something else on the shaft eg. drill bit or sanding pad?
do you get vibration if the sanding drum is fitted straight into the tool?

Tom

Bear in mind that the Carroll Drum Sander won't be perfectly balanced because of the overlap of the abrasive and cam lock bar. I think someone has already mentioned about trying the flexi shaft without the drum sander in it.

I solved this vibration issue on one of my flexi shafts by taping foam pipe insulation on the handpiece.

Mark

Thanks guys. I've just come back from the workshop and I've been playing with it. As MarkH suggests, it's a 'problem' with the caroll sander. Everything else is fine. Good tip with the foam insulation Mark. I will try that.

was thinking half way down that it might be the drum, not the flex drive.

nice to see somone beat me to it :p

I have 2 of the full size and one littleun and the littleun is harder to get the abrasive tight than the bigger brothers. Pity, 'cause it's more important on the smaller jobbie.

I still wouldn't swop any of them for 'normal' drum sanders though. If you ever get to the stage where the foam covering on any drums you have Carol will supply new foam to put on it. You can also get replacement snail cams too. I had a problem with one and they just sent me a new one. Good service!

Yes poorly replaced sandpaper could be the issue. I had a hell of a time getting a new one on. Though I did have vibration with the supplied abrasive. Fitting the sandpaper must be a knack that I need to learn.

Back