Fitting friction hinge to windows.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,bit of advice please.

Is there a standard method of fitting friction hinges to windows?

I am making some stormproof type windows which will have the sashes hung on friction hinges. I have done a few before and have generally copied how they have been done on other windows in the properties. As these are not matching anything else I wondered if there is a standard way as I have seen them grooved into the frame, set against a small rebate in frame or just screwed to the frame. They always seem to be grooved in to the sash.

What is the best method people find? Think they are a 13mm stack height that I will be using.

Many thanks, Doug

Typically they are fitted into a eurogroove which is a double rebate.

most of these style windows have the eurogroove on all 4 edges so the espagnolette lock goes in the same groove.

Euro groove is 16mm wide.

Thanks Robin, I have a euro groove type cutter for the sashes, its more the window frame I was wondering about, do you fit them in a groove or just screw directly to the frame?

Please can you reply a bit quicker this time, I don't have time to sit around waiting :wink: !

These have been in 15-20 years.

I grooved into both the sash and the frame to minimise the gap between the two, this also facilitates a smaller rebate on the stormproofing to cover the gap and subsequently a smaller sash section

Zp8g87D.jpg

tWAAmkk.jpg

Zg0VHnd.jpg

KRgxVx4.jpg

Doug71":x1f01vbn said:
Thanks Robin, I have a euro groove type cutter for the sashes, its more the window frame I was wondering about, do you fit them in a groove or just screw directly to the frame?

Please can you reply a bit quicker this time, I don't have time to sit around waiting :wink: !

They dont go in a groove in the frame -they wouldnt open :D

Some manufacturers do a rebate that acts as a stop, although thats normally for the espag keep rather than the stay.

Just screw them straight onto the flat rebate using a timber packer to get the right distance.

Of course some windows have a sloping bottom frame rebate, or a check rebate -although thats usually flush on stays rather than stormproof

RobinBHM":1of4evdm said:
Doug71":1of4evdm said:

They dont go in a groove in the frame -they wouldnt open :D

Mine must be magic ones then :roll:

Back