Stormproof windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scholar

Established Member
Reaction score
I am refurbishing some stormproof windows - I don’t really like the storm proof design, but it is what we have got and there are 26 opening lights to deal with, so any thoughts of re-engineering the windows as I would prefer are not practicable (also the upper windows are curved which is a whole other story).

Anyway, the problem I would like some views on is that the outer “stormproof” lip of the window leaves a sizeable gap from the frame due to the Stormproof hinges just being laid on and not rebated. See this mock up on one of the windows removed from its frame.

26AD0D2B-62D2-4B83-9284-A59AFCFD946D.jpeg

FA62DA49-D289-43A7-A4CD-B564A64E318C.jpeg

There is a good seal on the inside rebate of the frame (Aquamac 63, I think), but this outer gap is almost 3mm which encourages flies to get into the large rebate all around the opening casements. I mostly dealt with this by fixing some self-adhesive EPDM seal to the inside of the stormproof lip (KISO 141) - to be fair both seals are surprisingly durable and adaptable to the gaps.

Now I am refurbishing the windows, I want to know if there is a better solution. This outer gap seems to be inherent in the design that we have here (I think that double rebated stormproof design would have been better (except they would not work with the curved windows) and we are where we are).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I'd be concerned that if the hinges are rebated to close the gap the windows might not close, the gap takes up any issues with the frame, of go for the same solution you had, more EPDM seals.

The ones here ( we have them as original ) have a rounded groove ( concave ) in the window part, and corresponding convex profile in the frame. It fits very snug, no gap, and would I think work on your curved windows.Whether you can add them "after the fact" to existing windows and frames is another matter.

when i made these we always set the hinges in so the top lay flush to the frame never had any problems with them so in the top pic instead of the gap it would be closed

I would normally say just chisel in the hinge to close the gap but you will then have a problem with the inner part being too tight.
I think I would just put aquamac on the face of the casement lip as well, this will double seal the window and should be pretty easy to do as you are refurbishing them anyway.

Ollie

I would normally say just chisel in the hinge to close the gap but you will then have a problem with the inner part being too tight.
I think I would just put aquamac on the face of the casement lip as well, this will double seal the window and should be pretty easy to do as you are refurbishing them anyway.

Ollie
I have been looking at this - I think adding a groove for Aquamac on the inside face of the lip is possibly inviting other problems.

I think the best thing is to repeat the use of epdm strip - as mentioned it has lasted impressively.

I was tempted to try rebating the hinges, but they don’t seem to be designed for this and whilst the inside Aquamac has quite a lot of give, around the whole window it might involve some stress in closing fully.

Thank you for the inputs.

Cheers

I have been looking at this - I think adding a groove for Aquamac on the inside face of the lip is possibly inviting other problems.

I think the best thing is to repeat the use of epdm strip - as mentioned it has lasted impressively.

I was tempted to try rebating the hinges, but they don’t seem to be designed for this and whilst the inside Aquamac has quite a lot of give, around the whole window it might involve some stress in closing fully.

Thank you for the inputs.

Cheers
I was thinking more of a flap type aquamac like the aq21 I put in doors or similar, this is common type in upvc windows as well. These ones would tend to offer less resistance. The range of schlegel seals is quite vast so maybe they offer a seal with just the right size for the gap so little to no compression is really needed on it, I know they do some self adhesive ones. I just prefer it to the epdm as its easy clean etc. Maybe QL3116 or the Zero gap seal QL3015 or AQ122.

Ollie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back