Fitting an emergency stop button on a cl3 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaci

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have the knowledge they can pass over of how to add a separate emergency stop button on my bench linked into the on/off switch that is mounted to the motor? Diagram would be great. Cheers

ideally, mount a no volts switch that can be turned off by stepping on it by your feet. That way when some nasty jam happens and you can't let go you can stop the power. mounted on a stable board you can make a sort of extension cable with it and use it for all sorts of things.

Not an emergency stop, but a useful addition - I wired my lathe through two switched cable outlets, one in the middle of the bench as when the head is turned I can't easily reach the button, and one right on the end so if I'm boring deep holes I can switch off from the end.

Thats a good idea as i turn with the head out more than over the bed, now what connects to what in the switch on the motor i wonder, you dont have a diagram do you phil.p ?
I bet this would be quite a useful addition to anyone who has a cl3. If any electricians out there that can help id be most grateful.
Grant

Nothing complicated about it. Just take off the plug and wire that flex into the load side of the switch, wire the supply side back to another switch if using two or a plug if only using one. No need to touch the original wiring.

So to get it right in my head is it similar to a house lighting circuit the negative and earth just loop from plug to switch to switch to switch and the live through the load and supply of each switch??

I just tried a photo, but my camera went dead flat and reverted to files that are too big. Cable outlets are double pole and are clearly marked load and supply, so the motor goes to load, the supply to the other load of the second switch if using two and that supply back to the socket. Make sure the earths are connected.

Found this , i think it looks like you describe

Attachments

• GRTLMKIL Grid Time lag Switch circuit diagram2-770x490_0.jpg
    GRTLMKIL Grid Time lag Switch circuit diagram2-770x490_0.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,550
Can I say that using a NVR switch as an emergency stop will not work if the lathe is equipped with a NVR switch, but it would stop you accidentally starting it as both buttons would have to be pressed simultaneously.
I suggest that you buy an emergency stop button like https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Lewden/Emergency_Stop_Buttons/index.html and an extension cord like https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Extensio...sr=8-1&keywords=single+socket+extension+leads

Cut the extension cord 350mm from the socket. Use the ESB to rejoin the wire. You should now have a lead plug-ESB-socket.
Plug the lead into a power socket, mount the ESB in some convenient position and plug the lathe into the socket.

Sorry no wiring diagram. If you can not figure out the wiring of the ESB you should not be doing it. Print this out and take to a competent person.

Bill

the wiring diagram posted is where all on and off switches work. Its pointless fitting an emergency stop button when you still have to go around the back to turn it on or reach over what your turning. Good idea Bill and yes easy to do, but require it to be like the diagram posted.
Grant

gaci":2170shsq said:
Found this , i think it looks like you describe

No, it's simpler - live and neutral from the plug go to live and neutral "supply" on the bottom of the first switch. Live and neutral from the "load" side of that switch to the "supply" side of the next switch. Live and neutral from the "load" side of the switch to the motor. Make sure the earth is connected. If either of these switches is used it will kick the NVR switch out, of course, so will need to be turned back on there as well.

gaci":1qfa4n9l said:
the wiring diagram posted is where all on and off switches work. Its pointless fitting an emergency stop button when you still have to go around the back to turn it on or reach over what your turning. Good idea Bill and yes easy to do, but require it to be like the diagram posted.
Grant
We are talking at cross purposes. The Emergency Stop Button is a simple switch. With the button sticking out (it's normal position) it is ON and will stay that way till the end of time unless you push it. It with then latch in the OFF position until the button is twisted to reset it. Meanwhile the NVR will have dropped out because of the interrupted supply.
The lead I suggested is 2m long which plugs into the mains supply and you mount the ESB at the end of your lathe, on your belt or any other convenient and accessible position so that you can press it in an emergency. The ESB is never used (switched OFF) excepting in an emergency and does not need resetting on a daily basis (depending on the frequency of your emergencies).
The plug on the lathe lead plugs in to the socket on the extension lead. The operation of the lathe is now as it was before.

Bill
PS The diagram you refer to above is for a timer switch not an ESB.

Grant
The pics of the CL-3 lathe show that it is fitted with an NVR switch.
As I said in my first post - you can not use NVR switches as Emergency Stop Button. They go to OFF when the voltage is removed. So pressing one to STOP will make the other go OFF as well (no voltage). So to start you would have to press both together at the same time.
Also not clear why you would want to spend £20 plus when the link I gave was <£6 and is guaranteed to work.
I have the set up that I proposed on my lathe so it is not speculation.
Wire the ESB with the live lead being broken by the switch part of the ESB, as should be any switch.
Bill

Hi bill i was looking at doing it this way as i turn 75% with the head turned, so the on and off buttons are around the back so to add a set at the front would make life easy meaning i can turn it on and off with out reaching around a spinning bowl.
Grant

Grant
There is no simple wiring solution to that problem. It requires that you remove the NVR and put it at the end of a flying lead.
I am opting out at this point.
Bill

Back