Another Denford Bowl lathe hopefully back from the dead!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3PH6.jpg

Attachments

• 3PH1.jpg
    3PH1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3PH5.jpg
    3PH5.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3PH7.jpg
    3PH7.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 0
  • 3PH8.jpg
    3PH8.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3PH9.jpg
    3PH9.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi Folks! Well!That all went easier than expected! After removing the connecting bolts, I moved the Connection plate out of the way. Hooked 2 fingers in the gap and lightly pulled. The plate came off real easy. Resting the housing and shaft vertically on a soft cloth. I then held the motor housing and pushed down and slid down easily. So then carfully slid the rotor out of the windings. Happy days! Now for the task of locating the 3 ends joined at the business end. Can anyone see the most likely place I might find it. My guess is either 6 or 9 O'clock? Any Ideas guys? Thanks to Fitzroy again.

Hi Again? Soooo now Ive got the enviable task of locating 3ends meet and somehow extending and insulating them and bring them to the connection end and connecting the 6 ends as star/delta. I should thearetically arrive at a 3PH motor I can run off a VFD. As always? thanks for all the guidance.Post and photos to follow.

Good work, yes I agree somewhere in this area. The motor looks almost identical inside to the one in Smouser's post, his image is a little clearer so it may help you locate your star point.

Motor Snip.JPG

88656-IMG-20210406-212508.jpg

Going by his photo which is clearer as you say looks to be about 7 o'clock, Will give it a go over the next day or so under a better light. Cheers

Going by his photo which is clearer as you say looks to be about 7 o'clock, Will give it a go over the next day or so under a better light. Cheers
I'd not use the same relative location ie 7 o'clock as it'll probably not be that exact between motors, but the narrative in Smouser's post "After staring at the motor for a long while the only place that looked like it had 3 wires going to it" matched my experience that the point appeared to have three wires going to it.

On your motor i'd be looking to see if one of the black sleeved areas has three wires entering it, likely two from one end and one from the other.

A good bright light will be an advantage as you said.

Fitz.

I'd not use the same relative location ie 7 o'clock as it'll probably not be that exact between motors, but the narrative in Smouser's post "After staring at the motor for a long while the only place that looked like it had 3 wires going to it" matched my experience that the point appeared to have three wires going to it.

On your motor i'd be looking to see if one of the black sleeved areas has three wires entering it, likely two from one end and one from the other.

A good bright light will be an advantage as you said.

Fitz.
Scary stuff, A delicate operation indeed! What can I use to soften the brittle varnish. As it is It feels like any wires I try tr free will snap?

Can I use a little bit paint stripper to soften winding varnish so I can move the insulated winding star ends? What is kind of varnish is used ? Looks like shellack!

I'd say a firm no to the pain stripper, one of the most damaging things for a motor is insulation breakdown and current leakage which will result in a full rewind. The individual wires are varnish insulated which will have some flex in the insulation, they are then covered in a more rigid varnish that will crack off as you start manipulating the wires and sleeves.

I'd say a firm no to the pain stripper, one of the most damaging things for a motor is insulation breakdown and current leakage which will result in a full rewind. The individual wires are varnish insulated which will have some flex in the insulation, they are then covered in a more rigid varnish that will crack off as you start manipulating the wires and sleeves.
Ok will give it a go today, cheers

Found the star point, I can only describe the experience as gentle wrestling! 2 of the wires snapped one about 15mm from the windings and the other tight to the windings. After digging it out, I did an ohms test between ends but no reading. I hope its just a dodgy meter will try tomorrow with my megger and croc clips...fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back