First Post & Kity 613 Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my first post, I've used the forum for a lot of research and you've all got an amazing amount of knowledge so thanks for all the past help and future help I'm sure.

So I've gone and bought a Kity 613 and thought I'd share my experience / ask for some advice. It's in good nick structurally and mechanically with good bearings, decent wheel rubber and a motor that runs well but it does have a number of issues:

- The drive belt is hanging together by a thread.
Already ordered a new one
- All the guide adjustments are majorly seized.
Working on that
- Plenty of surface rust and blown paint.
Will clean up and repaint although wish I know what the original colour was
- A switch that requires at least a roll of tape to keep it together.
Will try to repair but might have to replace

The biggest problem is that one of the screw that hold the 2 lower cold block guides has sheared off leaving some of the thread inside.

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

As you can see there is plenty of rest and corrosion but its all just surface stuff which I can deal with. Going to try and remove the old thread thats stuck in the bandsaw and drill and tap the original fixing to put a new threaded section in it. Just need to work out how to keep it there.

Already started work on the upper guide. Below's a picture of one side guides next to it's unfettled friend. The whole thing was seized solid with plenty of surface rust but WD40, a good clean with a wire brush seams to have done the trick. Not sure if I need to protect any of these parts with grease or paint as there was a lot of surface rust. Would they have been this gleaming originally or protected/painted in some way?

IMG_4447.jpg

Hope to get the whole upper guide assembly finished this weekend between work.

Thanks for your time and to summarise:
- Does anyone has any idea of the Kity paint colour
- Is it possible to get a new/used cold block locking bolt (slim to impossible, I imagine)
- Does the part above need protecting with paint, something else or let it shine.

I'll post a few more pics of the machine in general when I can.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpg
    IMG_4435.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4436.jpg
    IMG_4436.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4447.jpg
    IMG_4447.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 220
The bolt will be metric so you can probably get something that will do the job quite easily.

The guides on my 613 are just 'metallic' with no paint on them. I suppose if you're going to do what the last owner did and store it in a lake, then you'd need to paint it. :-D

The knurled knobs that tighten the lower guide blocks are a pain in the 4$$..... unless you have a grip like the Hulk.
If I had to replace mine, I'd definitely be replacing them both with a hex bolt.

The shade of green? Best thing to do would be take a non-shiny flake of old paint, 0.5cm in diameter or more, into B&Q and get them to scan it.

If you need a manual ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/mercian/s ... 013981375/

if you need close-up photos of anything, let me know.

Lol stored in a lake, could have been dragged behind a tug boat all the way from France the way it looks but I'm sure I can make it pretty again.

Had a look at B&Q and they do supply a colour mixed metal paint so I might give that a try. Don't suppose you or anyone reading it has tried this paint. A review would be handy. The other option that springs to mind is going down the Hammerite route but not sure if thats a dirty word around here.

Actually already found the manual online, very handy, its helped a lot.

Also thanks for the offer of pictures, they'd be good for reference. If you get a mo and wouldn't mind a front, back and shot with the door open that would be great.

Thanks macros for the bolts detail, saved we having to figure it out :) .

UPDATE

- Stripped a load more bits off today snapping a few more nuts and bolts on the way. None of them important and all snapped on purpose. Easier to replace and already have a stash of them. Working on cleaning u the trunnion at the moment along with still working on the upper guide.

- Think I need to replace the bearing on the lower wheel. Doesn't feel rough when turning but is making more noise than the top one. Anyone know what bearing it is. Can't get to it at the moment and wouldn't mind ordering but no worries if not, just looking to get a heads start.

- Also noticed the wheel brush is basically thread bare. Don't suppose anyone has a cunning suggestion to a fix. So far Ive got gaffe tape and hand brush, sure I can MacGyver it :wink:

Right, I've shoved a load of photos in a gallery here ... http://postimg.org/gallery/ogmk4mx6/

Easier on the forum than making a picture-heavy post.

If you need any others, give me a shout.

You'll see I have it on a base & castors, then filled in the front and back with ''doors''. It catches most of the dust.

... and yes, that's Clarkson.

100_6360.jpg

Wow thanks for the pictures. They'll help a lot.

The ali cast bits are bare but looks like the threaded part of the side guides, there locking nuts and the thumb screws on the lower guide are all Blackened.

I've basically removed that coating to get rid of the rust.

Looks like you can get a home kit, anyone tried something like this or have other suggestions?

Thought I'd give quick update.

Not a perfect restoration mainly due to my skill level but got the blade guard/guide and trunnion all free'd up and looking pretty shiny. Here's the before & after:

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

(This last one compare with the pic from first post if you can see it through all the rust)

Some of the steel parts really need protecting from the dreaded rust monster and doing some research options appear to be "blueing", cold black oxide or oil quenching/baked. I don't have much experience with this so any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4451.JPG
    IMG_4451.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4465.JPG
    IMG_4465.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 112
DTB1985

I have a Kitty saw like yours

could you post some pics of the bearing guide from the back of the saw and from the lower guide under the table

these guides are no longer available and I want to see all the parts to see if I could replicate with mine

I want to see if I can find some form of after market set which I could fit in place of the existing blocks

this forum does not seem to allow "private messages" so I cannot contact your directly

I did a post on a kity 613 clean up some time after xmas. Some pictures in there if you care to take a look. The steel fittings on the top and bottom guides looked to be just black oxide finished - think heat them hot, drop in oil to blacken, then soak in oil for a minimal rust protection, i just wire brushed and drowned mine in light oil - nuts n bolts are metric, m6, m8, etc
For the repaint, look for flag brand paint (via ebay) they make a metallic green flake with toluene solvent that is supposed to be good. Hammerite has now gone water based and I read several reports that it's much inferior to the original formula.

Oh, and there's nothing clever about the no volt release switch. The motor isn't very high power so you can replace it with one of the generic units sold by axminster, etc. Although the original kity switch has 6 wires going into it, two of these just take a round trip to the terminal box on the motor where they're joined together. So a standard 4 wire switch is fine. I'm in the process of moving mine as the position of the original switch is inconvenient and it's easiest just to replace the whole switch box.

Back