First output from the new machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
After 2weeks of no wood turning and your requests to see some output I created some shaving and turned these three pieces out:-
First a square bowl in LP lace wood, second a clock in English walnut with kingwood feet, and third a pair of candle sticks in English oak with brass inserts. So I trust the photos do them justice. All comments welcome.
Picture010-2.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture012-2.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture016-2.jpg

Picture018-2.jpg

Regards,
Ian

Good to hear tht you are back in the turn of things . Nice clean pieces. Especially like the lines on the candle sticks.

Pete

Hello Ian, How did it feel turning on that big posh monster? :D

Nice pieces from it :D I like those modern looking candlesticks, very good matching pair 8)

Johnny

Hi Pete and Johnny,
I must admit it was strange at first using the Vici because it is so smooth and quiet and makes no fuss about cutting forces it just simple turns with no effort. regarding the oak candle sticks i was thinking along the lines of three of differing heights but I thought i very rarely make matching items so I too time to mark out the spindle very accurately and theres the result and I must admit to really being happy with them.
With the place being up side down for a couple of weeks I had to give myself a talking to and get on with it.
Regards,
Ian

Clean simple lines on the clock case and candle sticks works well, shows the character of the wood and quality of finish well without unnecessary dust traps

Very nice Ian :D
I like the clock with the little feet,and the cnadle holders look good :D
You will have to be a little braver on the square bowl and try to those edges an even thickness,easier said than done :lol:
How did the lathe and bench perform :?:

Hi Chas,
Thank you for your comments, i do agree that the smooth lines in turned pieces allow the grain to show well and are not too fussy.
Hi Paul,
I felt i had taken the bowl as thin as i wanted it but in hindsight I guess it could have been slightly thinner but it was starting to show sings of vibration.
The machine performs superbly, very smooth and I'm well pleased with my investment.
Regards,
Ian

Back