Two New Mortice/Cutting Gauges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Introduction

As one of the few handtool-orientated woodworkers in my local woodwork club, I have been asked to present a regular lecture at meetings on handtools. This will be hands-on, for example, using tools to create joints. This coming month I plan to present a demonstration on mortice-and-tenon joinery.

It occurred to me that the only mortice gauges I own are Japanese, not Western types. I have two, one being a Kinshiro (thanks Wiley), which is the very best mortice/cutting gauge, in my opinion. It is not simply that they are so well made and have amazing knives that leave a clean line, but they are ergonomically so well designed, and fit the hand like a glove. I also like that the Adjuster Screw is situated so that they may be tightened with one hand.

I have built a number of single cutter gauges based on the Kinshiro, which are excellent for dovetails, or may be used in pairs for mortice-and tenons. The wide fence provides a lot of extra stability.

Original Kinshiro on the right ...

KinshiroOnTheCheap_html_m6481cde7.jpg

One should mark mortices and tenons from the same gauge, working from a reference face. In this regard, the single flaw of the Kinshiro is that that are not suited for marking mortices that are set back from the edge of a stretcher ..

AShakerTableforMothersDay_html_m169f15a9.jpg

The advantage of the traditional Western mortice gauge is that one adjusts the pins to the width of the mortice chisel, and then the fence may be adjusted in-and-out as necessary.

skill-builder-3.jpg

My thoughts went along the path of a fixed gauge, that is, one that was set up for a specific mortice chisel size. Indeed, why not make two, or more ..?

I also recalled I had a rarely used set of Tite-Mark wheel cutters for a mortice gauge. Perhaps these could be pressed into service? At the same time, while I like and have a number of wheel gauges, I found that these wheels required more downforce than a knife. Perhaps a heavier gauge than the Tite-Mark ...?

In the end I built two different mortice/cutting gauges. The first one looks traditional but has a few novel features, one of which I have not seen elsewhere. The second looks novel, but is more traditional.

Gauge #1

The first gauge is based on the Kinshiro profile, but has a Western arm. It is made from some scrap Fiddleback Jarrah and brass. The fence is 4 1/2" long x 2" high ...

1_zpsgyw8ijei.jpg

The novel feature here is that the blade is a fixed width, but is exchangeable for other fixed width blades ..

The knives are made from 4mm thick HSS (they should not need resharpening for a while!). So far I have made double-sided knives for a 1/4" and 3/8" mortice-and-tenons, and two straight knives (I made a second when I realised that the first would score 3/8" away from the fence). The idea for these knives came from dovetail planes.

2_zpsgjqxxike.jpg

The knives sit in a brass "cassette". This is fitted permanently in the arm ...

3_zpsxmoxavcf.jpg

As seen in the first image, each knife may be dropped in or out and is held with a set screw. As mentioned earlier, I have not seen a similar system on a marking gauge before.

The second design feature is a rounded lower section to the arm ..

4_zpskrn4d754.jpg

5_zps9blnvhlk.jpg

The reason for this is twofold:

Firstly, this is a very strong design that locks the arm very securely. Just a little downforce and there is no sideways movement at all.

Secondly, the rounded lower section offers better visibility that either a square section or a cutaway at the knife.

5a_zpsayx23ssh.jpg

In practice, this is very comfortable to use, and the knives cut clean lines both with and across the grain.

6_zpszemgwq34.jpg

Gauge #2

The second gauge was less clever and more fun - really an opportunity for a little functional art. It turned out to be a wonderful user.

The face is 1/4" thick (very hard) brass, the wood is more scrap Fiddleback Jarrah, and the arm was donated by an ex-screwdriver. The knives are the Tite-Mark ones mentioned earlier.

7_zpszn9qawfh.jpg

8_zpsdjorefly.jpg

Here it is set up for a 1/4" mortice chisel and a 3/4" thick stretcher ...

9_zpsnzavc2vo.jpg

The adjuster screw is set at an angle (the end is rounded so it grips easily and tightly). This is allows the palm of the hand to rest comfortably over it.

Remove one wheel and you can use it as a cutting gauge ...

10_zpsso1p8kxi.jpg

It is also very comfortable to hold, and the extra mass over the Tite-Mark is very noticeable ..

11_zpsvausc6o7.jpg

Here is a size comparison of the two gauges along with the Tite-Mark and the offset Veritas ...

12_zpsf4ca1cq7.jpg

Your comments and critique welcomed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice indeed Derek. I particularly like gauge #1 with the concept of the drop in fixed-width cutters and the larger reference surface. I think I'll put one of those gauges on my ever growing to-do list. I also wish Jarrah grew over here!

Some very nice looking gauges Derek, I noticed the stock on the Marples is on backwards with the brass running bars away from the wear surface. I often see them with the stock locking screw around the wrong way (locking on the timber rather than on the brass sliding bar)

Your No2 looks beautiful and I am sure is great to handle. I do find beginners find the wheel gauges easier to handle without following the grain, but not so easy to accurately start and stop at the end of mortices as they are circular rather than points.

Cheers Peter

Those are all fine and beautifully turned-out tools. That said, there is no real reason that the long markings of a mortise need to be incised by a knife and of course those gauges are essentially incapable except in a few circumstances of incising the top and bottom lines of a mortise, which are the only marks that might benefit from incision by knife, especially so for the standard two-shouldered joint.

One should resist the urge to sell the standard pin gauge short. Available from sources too numerous to mention for less than $30. If one understands the goal is just a light mark then there is frankly no better tool for the job.

I have handled a Japanese cutting gauge before and they're fine though I didn't care for them compared to a Western cutting gauge when marking out cross-grain on relatively narrow boards. When marking out crossgrain on wide panels I typically make a mark in from each end then clamp a straight edge across the board and use a Stanley fixed-blade utility knife with the thickest blade they make. Can't be beat.

I think it's helpful that with the standard Western cutting gauge one can infinitely adjust the projection of the knife as well as shape it to requirements. This really isn't possible with wheel gauges.

Regards from Memphis,

Charles

Peter Sefton":bac9v5n2 said:
Some very nice looking gauges Derek, I noticed the stock on the Marples is on backwards with the brass running bars away from the wear surface. I often see them with the stock locking screw around the wrong way (locking on the timber rather than on the brass sliding bar)...

Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind words.

The photo was pulled off the Web. I will not embarrass the woodworker by outing him! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

CStanford":1jj9opjy said:
Those are all fine and beautifully turned-out tools. That said, there is no real reason that the long markings of a mortise need to be incised by a knife and of course those gauges are essentially incapable except in a few circumstances of incising the top and bottom lines of a mortise, which are the only marks that might benefit from incision by knife, especially so for the standard two-shouldered joint.

One should resist the urge to sell the standard pin gauge short. Available from sources too numerous to mention for less than $30. If one understands the goal is just a light mark then there is frankly no better tool for the job.

I have handled a Japanese cutting gauge before and they're fine though I didn't care for them compared to a Western cutting gauge when marking out cross-grain on relatively narrow boards. When marking out crossgrain on wide panels I typically make a mark in from each end then clamp a straight edge across the board and use a Stanley fixed-blade utility knife with the thickest blade they make. Can't be beat.

I think it's helpful that with the standard Western cutting gauge one can infinitely adjust the projection of the knife as well as shape it to requirements. This really isn't possible with wheel gauges.

Regards from Memphis,

Charles

Hi Charles

The adjustment area is a distinct advantage of the Western gauge when it comes to marking mortices. Also, as you say, the pin is not a disadvantage when scoring with the grain. The only dislike I have with this style is that it is difficult to resharpen the points. Obviously I missed something there as I could never get it right in the past, and moved onto knives, which work well with the grain, and may be used across the grain as well.

I do have a single pin Stanley, but this has long since been converted to a knife.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tear off a little strip of 400 grit sandpaper, grasp between thumb and forefinger and spin it around the points for a minute or so each. Sharper than new.

I think we've all seen a vintage gauge or two clearly in service for decades, with the pins practically down to nubs, but still quite serviceable.

IMO, the most common mistake people make with gauges is putting the marks in too deeply. M&T's should be gauged to fit with the faint lines still visible - they are one's signpost to accuracy and fit -- the saw never slips into the mark nor splits the line but works just beside it leaving the entire line in. Once the lines are gone, it's an exercise in fumbling around in the dark.

I've had a wheel gauge and I was never able to produce as fine a mark as I could with a pin gauge. They really seem to want to dig in.

Peter Sefton":33gmzkjc said:
Some very nice looking gauges Derek, I noticed the stock on the Marples is on backwards with the brass running bars away from the wear surface. I often see them with the stock locking screw around the wrong way (locking on the timber rather than on the brass sliding bar)...

Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind words.

The photo was pulled off the Web. I will not embarrass the woodworker by outing him! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

I had a feeling that it wasn't your own. Marples make the gauges with a few little tweaks for me. The Mortice gauge pins are set to a minimum size of 4mm rather than the standard 6mm as this is to wide for our smaller tenon work.

Cheers Peter

Back