First mitre saw recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a mitre saw for light hobbyist use. Initially I've got a few picture frames that I'd like to make, but not too sure on use beyond that at the moment. I've been looking at the 3 options below. Both the Makita and DeWalt are (currently) at a similar price, and the Evolution is significantly cheaper.

Do you have any views or reviews of these (or other mitre saws up to about £150)?

Thanks in advance,
Oli

https://www.toolstation.com/makita-mls1 ... saw/p56714
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dws7 ... saw/p29987
https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r2 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Obviously you can use one of those to make picture frames but if that is your sole intended purpose for it I would look at other methods. If you want to make a couple of frames and then use the saw for some general construction type work (which is what they are good for) then they are probably much of a muchness... except for the last one which of lesser quality than the first two.

If you have a table saw you will get more accurate mitres with a mitre sled.

I like Metabo. Well the first one I had was on a construction site and was an Elektra Beckum which is now Metabo. Currently I have a Metabo one and it has been abused quite a bit and still bang on.

Hi Oli,

I know the exact situation you’re in. Got a project, think a mitre saw will make life a lot easier but don’t really have the full justification for the big purchase. Still, we’re blokes, so we’re going to buy one :lol:

My budget recommendation is;
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-emis ... 240v/244fv

I have this exact model and don’t just take my word for it; check the site reviews as well.

It has all the features you need and more. The 254mm size will be more than enough for your projects now. And will future proof for any later bigger projects. The blade supplied is actually not too bad. I’ve made about 500 softwood cuts before moving to hardwood and it still sliced through Canadian maple with no issues at all.

The laser will be slightly off centre when you buy it. But it’s easily adjusted with two grub screws either side of it. The supplies clamp is something to be improved but with some quick grips you have no issues there.

The price has come down a lot since I brought mine for £230 last year. I’d still pay £230 for it now and chose it over a makita, which Is my preferred power tool brand.

Bargain, future-proof and you can’t beat screwfix customer service.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a table saw... and from what I can see a saw with anything like an accurate fence is still out of budget!

I appreciate the general use is construction but presumed that it would be reasonably accurate (and certainly more accurate than my hand-sawn efforts!). Is that correct?

BrodieB - I've got an Erbauer router (my first router) which I've been fairly pleased with. I was looking at the DeWalt/Makita as I had presumed a bigger brand was better but I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'll have a look, thanks.

Oli

I have made a picture frame with one (a JCB) it was ok. If you do use one, get yourself a fine crosscutting blade though. I prefer to use a mitre guillotine for picture frames (quite expensive). SO at the end of the day I wouldn't want to discourage having one of these as they have their place for sure. You will doubtless develop your own best way. Maybe look at using a mitre shooting board if you don't achieve the results you want from the saw. When you have something a bit heavier to do, like stud work, skirtings etc you will wonder how you managed without one.

OliT":pdcipoz2 said:
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a table saw... and from what I can see a saw with anything like an accurate fence is still out of budget!

I appreciate the general use is construction but presumed that it would be reasonably accurate (and certainly more accurate than my hand-sawn efforts!). Is that correct?

BrodieB - I've got an Erbauer router (my first router) which I've been fairly pleased with. I was looking at the DeWalt/Makita as I had presumed a bigger brand was better but I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'll have a look, thanks.

Oli

Don’t get me wrong, Makita and Dewalt are spot-on brands. My cordless kit is all Makita as I trust them and the battery system is very good. But for a mitre saw which will be used as you’re suggesting, don’t splash out on big brands. With the big names I’ve found there’s a very big gap between the lower budget models and the trade/professional used by your joiner/kitchen fitter models who can justify the £800-£1000.

I feel erbauer sit somewhere in the middle ground, sitting above the likes of silverline, parkside, ferrex etc and offer good quality with reasonable price.

Cheers :D

AJB Temple":2xbe2pjj said:
Erbaur is a budget brand as well. Nearly all of the cheap stuff looks near identical.

Have you owned any erbauer tools? I just feel the OP is talking about making a few frames. Not building and extension and justifying a good makita or dewalt model in this case would be difficult.

AJB Temple":1cf8llbo said:
Erbaur is a budget brand as well. Nearly all of the cheap stuff looks near identical.

My biggest complaint about Screwfix own brands, like B & Q, is that for many products they have no support or spares once warranty has run out, they're just not interested. Much prefer to buy branded makes.

To answer the question above: I have bought Erbaur tools and learnt my lesson. Their router bits for example are beyond dreadful. They are not actually that cheap for what they are.

My electrician was fully kitted out with Makita and had his entire kit stolen. For money and urgency reasons he replaced with Erbaur. Tools lacked staying power.

Latest posts

Back