First import from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOOD! Then it imparts the feelings of a lot of people in a way you can understand and appreciate. If you're offended, tough. If after having to dig up the victims of mass murder and geonocide by hand for 5 months and then you can tell me the EU is a bad thing and jingoistic xenophobia is far better, I might listen and be concerned about your whinging until then, grow up learn about the real bad excrement that goes on and stop being a n 8" bit of grissle

1616746955587.png

GOOD! Then it imparts the feelings of a lot of people in a way you can understand and appreciate. If you're offended, tough. If after having to dig up the victims of mass murder and geonocide by hand for 5 months and then you can tell me the EU is a bad thing and jingoistic xenophobia is far better, I might listen and be concerned about your whinging until then, grow up learn about the real bad excrement that goes on and stop being a n 8" bit of grissle
Droogs, I will not be replying to any of your future posts.

@Jonm , no your recollection is infact faulty. As has been posted of several times on this site (unfortunately in the deleted forums) even the Daily Fail in 1975 explained in many many articles, that the whole purpose of the EEC was for an initial trading block and then had the goal of ever closer political and legal homogenisation of Europe. So no lies by the pro side along those lines then nor now. Lots of very big ones by the leave side.

As for " Best to put it behind us and look forward. ". With the level of feeling and commitment over this issue that is exactly like asking a rape victim to be roomies with their rapist and that is exactly how it will remain, especially as most of those who voted leave will be dead before any real tangible benefits could be seen. Those who voted to remain will always consider themselves to be much worse off regardless of what occurs.

Edit
OK, I am in no way trying to belittle anyone who has had that sort of experience (I in fact know several people who have had this terrible ordeal). I am merely trying to point out how deep the emotional conviction runs in a lot of people. Other examples I could have used are Conferate citizens after their defeat, they (many whites in the South) still harbour resentment over this and it is displayed 4 generations later in the discrimination in the South. There are also the feelings of indigenous peoples who are still fighting in many places for their property and rights and even taking to terrorist action because the emotive feelings are still running very high (ETA, IRA, Serb troops in the 90s, Bosnians Croats, Morocans etc). Some of these are 10 of generations removed from the events and yet we still see conflict because of it.

There is no way in Hades that remainers will support Brexit as a good or the right thing, they may begrudginly accept the current situation and their inability to change things just now but will always harbour a desire/need/want/work towards regaining the rights and privelages they have lost. In fact many would be quite willing for the UK to go down in flames economically (That is not an exageration) if it meant the whole thing failed and the UK had to rejoin the EU and even hope that the people responsible suffer very much. That is how much the divide is between Leavers and Remainers. Remainers feel they have had their futures and opportunities ripped from them by a bunch of narrow minded biggots who wont be around to suffer the consequences of the their jingoistic hubris. that situation is not going to change and no amount of discussion on here about it will make any impact at all.

This thread is about how the new normal is affecting how we trade with our new situation and how it is either easier and more profitable or it is not. So far, I don't see any eveidence that is is a positive thing, except for those who do not trade outside the UKs borders or are involved in playing with large volumes of money where you can make a profit on all the misery and problems this little adventure has caused.

Feel free to remove/change your reactions if you disagree
If you look long and hard you will always find something to back your argument!!!!

Pass, I'll take a question on Sport.
Ok, what is the diameter of a basketball hoop measured in barleycorns.

More seriously, getting back to your post. For businesses in EU selling to consumers in UK, referred to as B2C. It seems that the vat rules for Goods coming in to UK from the EU are:
1. Gifts valued under £39 are free
2. Gifts valued over £39, vat is due and collected, presumably by the courier and will no doubt incur admin charges as well.
3. Goods under £135
- direct from seller then seller should register with UK VAT office and collect the VAT ( large sellers may do this but smaller ones probably not)
- Via online marketplace such as eBay or Amazon then the auction house collects the VAT. Not sure how seller does not pay EU vat. I suspect that larger vat registered sellers claim it back. Small EU non vat registered companies will have paid vat on what they buy so part of the sale price will include vat and we will pay that plus our 20% vat on top.
- direct from EU seller, not registered to pay UK vat. Then uk vat is due and is collected presumably by the courier and will no doubt incur admin charges as well.
4. Goods over £135, vat is due at time/point of entry and is collected, presumably by the courier and will no doubt incur admin charges as well.

The above bands I believe, are values excluding the transport costs but uk vat is due on the transport costs as well. And who knows what happens to eu vat on transport costs.

There is also the issue of “import vat”. Here is an extract from the guardian, “HMRC spokesperson said: “The value of the import VAT is calculated based on the value of the goods for customs purposes plus any customs duty, therefore it may appear to be higher than 20% of the original sales price.”” So if you get a real bargain then UK customs can charge VAT on what they think you should have paid!

Any Informed comments on the above would be appreciated because I am no expert in this and am just trying to understand the rules. And please let’s keep to the subject, we are where we are, let’s not go off on a pointless brexit rant about red tape.

answer is 54 barleycorns (3 barleycorns to the inch)

@Jonm, why do real life events scare you too much? I have written from personal experience at those particular coalfaces, who are you and silentsam to belittle or denegrate by being offended my actual real world experience. Just because you have been shielded from having to deal with those things doesn't mean others have too. Because of people being to spineless to even talk about these things, they are allowed to happen when they could easily be prevented. think on that in you ivory tower

@Jonm, why do real life events scare you too much? I have written from personal experience at those particular coalfaces, who are you and silentsam to belittle or denegrate by being offended my actual real world experience. Just because you have been shielded from having to deal with those things doesn't mean others have too. Because of people being to spineless to even talk about these things, they are allowed to happen when they could easily be prevented. think on that in you ivory tower
Because you are comparing things that are in no way comparable. The biggest complaint I've seen of Brexit on this thread from most people is delays in buying tools and a few misunderstanding around the rules. Having to pay a few pounds more for bandsaw blades is no way comparable to domestic abuse or genocide.

Ok, what is the diameter of a basketball hoop measured in barleycorns.

More seriously, getting back to your post. For businesses in EU selling to consumers in UK, referred to as B2C. It seems that the vat rules for Goods coming in to UK from the EU are:
1. Gifts valued under £39 are free
2. Gifts valued over £39, vat is due and collected, presumably by the courier and will no doubt incur admin charges as well.
3. Goods under £135
- direct from seller then seller should register with UK VAT office and collect the VAT ( large sellers may do this but smaller ones probably not)
- Via online marketplace such as eBay or Amazon then the auction house collects the VAT. Not sure how seller does not pay EU vat. I suspect that larger vat registered sellers claim it back. Small EU non vat registered companies will have paid vat on what they buy so part of the sale price will include vat and we will pay that plus our 20% vat on top.
- direct from EU seller, not registered to pay UK vat. Then uk vat is due and is collected presumably by the courier and will no doubt incur admin charges as well.
4. Goods over £135, vat is due at time/point of entry and is collected, presumably by the courier and will no doubt incur admin charges as well.

The above bands I believe, are values excluding the transport costs but uk vat is due on the transport costs as well. And who knows what happens to eu vat on transport costs.

There is also the issue of “import vat”. Here is an extract from the guardian, “HMRC spokesperson said: “The value of the import VAT is calculated based on the value of the goods for customs purposes plus any customs duty, therefore it may appear to be higher than 20% of the original sales price.”” So if you get a real bargain then UK customs can charge VAT on what they think you should have paid!

Any Informed comments on the above would be appreciated because I am no expert in this and am just trying to understand the rules. And please let’s keep to the subject, we are where we are, let’s not go off on a pointless brexit rant about red tape.

answer is 54 barleycorns (3 barleycorns to the inch)
I have a feeling each European country has a separate rule.

To get back to the original point, I ordered three bandsaw blades on 5 February, from Thebandsawshop.com . I would have used Tuff Saws, but they don't post to us Johnny Foreigner types, and I would have used Axminster but they wanted £25 for postage, which seemed a bit steep. This may have been a mistake, and time will tell. The total bill, including postage was £35 for the blades, £10 for VAT and £10 for postage. Total bill £56 and change.

Anyway, my blades arrived this morning, fully labeled with vat amount paid and all the info required, but I still had to pay €25 duty on £35 worth of blades. Rumour has it that if you receive a parcel via DHL they charge a random amount as an administration fee in addition to the duty, which can be anything from €50 to over €100, but I haven't seen that in person.

So, does anyone know who to buy bandsaw blades from in the euro zone? I can't seem to find anyone, not even when searching in German.

Last edited:
How about this company...?? They are in Trier in South West Germany....

https://www.saegeblatt-shop.de/c/bandsaegeblaetter/
They appear to have a pretty comprehensive selection of sizes & type.
Duly noted and bookmarked - many thanks. A quick rummage suggests they do the right length, and I get a discount for buying 10 at a time. All I need to do now is learn German - how hard could it be?

Actually, that looks great - if only I had found it 3 months ago. Just need to make sure I don't buy Bandsägeblätter für Fleisch by mistake - purely for safety reasons, you understand.

Dakin Feathers suggested LD Dario | Importazione e distribuzione di lame a nastro per tutti gli usi to me in Italy.
I simply can't find any European supplier who can offer the range and advice I get from the UK. For instance, I wanted to try a bi-metal saw for resawing, I found out the expensive way that most bi-metal bandsaw blades have a tooth profile designed for metal.
Either Dictum or Dieter Schmidt keep Axminster, can't remember which. I just have no confidence in Axminster anymore.

Duly noted and bookmarked - many thanks. A quick rummage suggests they do the right length, and I get a discount for buying 10 at a time. All I need to do now is learn German - how hard could it be?

Actually, that looks great - if only I had found it 3 months ago. Just need to make sure I don't buy Bandsägeblätter für Fleisch by mistake - purely for safety reasons, you understand.

Yes,....You dont want to be cutting your meat...!!!😭

I have a feeling each European country has a separate rule.
For exports from uk to eu countries you could well be correct. What I have posted is uk rules for imports from eu countries, I do not think it varies for each country, but I could be wrong.

What I find very odd is uk expecting eu companies to register for UK Vat and collect the vat, then to say it only covers items under £135. I think that is something to do with import tariffs which may then become applicable. Yes I know there are meant to be no tariffs but it is not that simple and there are things like rules of origin to consider. An extract from the guardian
The UK government says European companies supplying goods valued at up to £135 direct to British buyers are supposed to collect VAT at the item’s prevailing rate – in most cases 20% – at the point of purchase. The move was branded “ludicrous” by Assen-based Dutch Bike Bits, which is among the firms that has halted all sales to the UK.

For Dutch Bike Bits, having to deal with the Dutch vat people is probably bad enough but having to register and deal with uk vat people as well, and then it only applies to sales under £135 when different rules apply seems, as they say “ludicrous”.

Just to complicate matters, a drive belt I bought on ebay for £25 plus VAT arrived today in Italy.
For some reason, the vendor put the value at £50 or €57.50 according to the Italian post office and I had to pay €20 in VAT and charges.

Because you are comparing things that are in no way comparable. The biggest complaint I've seen of Brexit on this thread from most people is delays in buying tools and a few misunderstanding around the rules. Having to pay a few pounds more for bandsaw blades is no way comparable to domestic abuse or genocide.
Probably because that's the context of this thread. There are one or two other little problems caused by Brexit; e.g. removal of significant freedoms and opportunities for our children, but yes: domestic abuse and genocide > all Brexit issues > increased costs on deliveries.

Exactly @sploo, the person I was referring to has now found out that her entire school efforts have been for nothing as due to brexit and the loss of ERASMUS by the time they sort it all out she will no longer be elligible to go to the place of study she was on track to go to. she feels her future has been ripped from her just like her childhood was. She was due to go to the Max Plank institute in Leipzig and now can't. She achieve over 95% in all 9 of her subjects and was on course for funding to study Evolutionary Anthropology and genetics. Now she is stuffed.

For exports from uk to eu countries you could well be correct. What I have posted is uk rules for imports from eu countries, I do not think it varies for each country, but I could be wrong.

What I find very odd is uk expecting eu companies to register for UK Vat and collect the vat, then to say it only covers items under £135. I think that is something to do with import tariffs which may then become applicable. Yes I know there are meant to be no tariffs but it is not that simple and there are things like rules of origin to consider. An extract from the guardian
The UK government says European companies supplying goods valued at up to £135 direct to British buyers are supposed to collect VAT at the item’s prevailing rate – in most cases 20% – at the point of purchase. The move was branded “ludicrous” by Assen-based Dutch Bike Bits, which is among the firms that has halted all sales to the UK.

For Dutch Bike Bits, having to deal with the Dutch vat people is probably bad enough but having to register and deal with uk vat people as well, and then it only applies to sales under £135 when different rules apply seems, as they say “ludicrous”.

That is actually EU law that UK has decided or had to keep, came into effect on 1 Jan 2021. From 1 July 2021 (delayed from 1 Jan 2021) EU countries will have the same rule, non-EU sellers will have to collect VAT and send it to the EU buyer's goverment for orders of under 150 Euro.

We all have times where the things happens, and other avenues open up, different roads taken, sometimes it's for the better sometimes for the worst.
This is life, I have had many set backs and often I look back and realise that if X hadn't happened then such and such would not have happened.
I understand disappointment, I've had plenty, as we all have.
The comparision you gave, would fill me with concern for that persons behaviour. I'd put that first.
Other things will happen in their life, irrelevant to brexit. What makes someone is the support and how they deal with it.
Once you can overcome disappointment, devastation, destruction it's amazing how you can bounce back from anything.
I wish her well.
The main goal in life should be happiness, pure and simple, the trimmings are a bonus but far from essential.

That is actually EU law that UK has decided or had to keep, came into effect on 1 Jan 2021. From 1 July 2021 (delayed from 1 Jan 2021) EU countries will have the same rule, non-EU sellers will have to collect VAT and send it to the EU buyer's goverment for orders of under 150 Euro.
Thank you for the info, very interesting. So a seller in say China, selling directly to EU customers has to register for vat with the eu or possibly each individual country, collect the vat and send it to the relevant EU country. Seems like a non tariff barrier to trade with the added bonus of collecting the vat. Very Clever. I wonder how the eu will police this, VAT officers undertaking an unannounced raid on offices in China! VAT inspectors travelling to China?

I wonder if this regulation in uk applies to just the eu countries or all overseas sellers.

Back