French Import Duties on UK Tools & Machinery ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Has anyone in France recently purchased tools or machinery from the UK, if so what were the import duties please ?

Also, if Kreg is an American company will that be the actual country of origin & will that add anything to the costs?

I am looking to get a decent router table set up at long, long last & the Kreg kit fits my budget more than the others but I cannot find any details on what I'll be charged over the 20% VAT if I buy from the much cheaper UK shops/sites. The sellers cannot help me, even when they have an Ebay.fr account.. they say that the French customs decide what to charge when it gets to them & that their customers buy blindly... that seems really daft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... like also recommending a reasonably priced French equivalent of Axi/ WWW/QWT.

Togs
Here in Italy if by courier processing charge is €18 plus VAT or 2% calculated on euro equivalent of £ price. This can be fairly randomn, if the package has several tariff codes they will pick one.
In theory unless the item is declared to be of UK manufacture you should get charged duty as well as VAT. In practise as stores in my experience rarely if ever declare the origin no duty is charged.
If by post the processing fees are €7 if I remember correctly. When I have ordered from Amazon.uk the vat has always beeb prepaid.

Thanks again for all the replies & I'm glad it's included lots of advice on router tables & upgrading - all very helpful & very much appreciated.

Nice table MikeK ! ... "One day Rodney..."

It's given me time to pause & rethink buying the Kreg table top. Is it really not that good a quality ?

That Italian website was more expensive that some French ones but again I appreciate your help & having an extra resource to search through.

Going all out on JessEm/Incra/AUK kit would be absolutely fantastic in 1 respect but it would then cause me so much trouble with my other half it would horrendous. It's not that she is a monster, it's that our/my big issue right now is disposable income (a stupid phrase I know) & the lack of it especially in comparison to what we earned back in the UK added to that is the Covid induced financial crisis & the worst frost damage to French agriculture in 40 years.. so things are not rosè. All our money should be going into our "escape back home fund" but my sanity relies on me having a workshop & building that has cost me a pretty euro so far ...& still counting.

If I am stressing over £50 difference between UK & French prices & thinking £500 is extravagant then spending £2000 + on top of the range gear is not an option.. at least not right now. If I earn a bit extra from a few jobs on the side which have presented themselves (a fencing job & a small kitchen update) then I might be in a better position to argue my case.

Peter, your website is great (& I deeply regret not having attended your woodwork classes while I had the chance) but a quick look & comparison shows that there is a 156.23 Euro increase in price from your UK price for the JessEm Excel II table combo.. that is a charge de merde for me, excuse my French. You have a business to run & your pricing policies are yours to make but is it really that much more effort & cost to send things to France these days ? It's a mute point but one I thought was worth asking as I still need to upgrade my set up somehow.

So, about my router table upgrade; my current thinking is that I have a decent enough Bosch router with interchangeable bases for bigger jobs which I could leave under my table longer if I get a 1/2 decent Makita trimmer router for the majority of my smaller bench work & then upgrade my router table set up...all in for around £650/Euro (& keep it well hidden).. what are my best options for a half decent table top & fence?

Togs

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the replies & I'm glad it's included lots of advice on router tables & upgrading - all very helpful & very much appreciated.

Nice table MikeK ! ... "One day Rodney..."

It's given me time to pause & rethink buying the Kreg table top. Is it really not that good a quality ?

That Italian website was more expensive that some French ones but again I appreciate your help & having an extra resource to search through.

Going all out on JessEm/Incra/AUK kit would be absolutely fantastic in 1 respect but it would then cause me so much trouble with my other half it would horrendous. It's not that she is a monster, it's that our/my big issue right now is disposable income (a stupid phrase I know) & the lack of it especially in comparison to what we earned back in the UK added to that is the Covid induced financial crisis & the worst frost damage to French agriculture in 40 years.. so things are not rosè. All our money should be going into our "escape back home fund" but my sanity relies on me having a workshop & building that has cost me a pretty euro so far ...& still counting.

If I am stressing over £50 difference between UK & French prices & thinking £500 is extravagant then spending £2000 + on top of the range gear is not an option.. at least not right now. If I earn a bit extra from a few jobs on the side which have presented themselves (a fencing job & a small kitchen update) then I might be in a better position to argue my case.

Peter, your website is great (& I deeply regret not having attended your woodwork classes while I had the chance) but a quick look & comparison shows that there is a 156.23 Euro increase in price from your UK price for the JessEm Excel II table combo.. that is a charge de merde for me, excuse my French. You have a business to run & your pricing policies are yours to make but is it really that much more effort & cost to send things to France these days ? It's a mute point but one I thought was worth asking as I still need to upgrade my set up somehow.

So, about my router table upgrade; my current thinking is that I have a decent enough Bosch router with interchangeable bases for bigger jobs which I could leave under my table longer if I get a 1/2 decent Makita trimmer router for the majority of my smaller bench work & then upgrade my router table set up...all in for around £650/Euro (& keep it well hidden).. what are my best options for a half decent table top & fence?

Togs
I too am drastically short of disposable income but having bought a small makita trimmer I regretted it and quickly started searching for the small Festool which is infinitely better. Luckily I managed to sell the Makita for a good price. Also I had to buy several attachments to make the makita useful, th festool came with everything I needed. That was before Brexit however, which has changed everything.

I forgot to mention the Bosch GOF1600CE router that was part of my journey. It comes with the plunge base and I bought the fixed base for use in a table. I can't remember what made me change my mind about the Bosch, but it is a good router and I used it quite a bit as a hand-held router with the plunge base.

To add more food for thought on your project, read through this thread by @weirdbeardmt. He built a router table using a Triton TRA001 router and UJK base. There are other examples of handmade router tables on UKW, and I will include them in this thread as I find them.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/my-homemade-router-table.126434/

Togs

Hi Togalosh

Thank you for your enquiry on international pricing on the website.

Since Brexit, all shipments between the UK and EU are subject to tax and duty being paid on arrival in the destination country which has caused delays and large fees from courier companies and local import departments. Our new website allows EU and worldwide customers to purchase products from us with the tax and duty prepaid which means that the price you pay is the final price. There are no delays when the shipment arrives in the destination country. The website also allows you to pay in your local currency which means that you will not be charged a conversion rate from your card issuer, and often the opportunity to pay in three instalments.

In this instance the price you are seeing on the website for the JessEm Ultimate Excel II Router Table Package is 2250.00 euro and includes duty and taxes for France, so this is why when you convert 2250 euro back to GBP you are seeing a higher price than if you were purchasing and shipping in the UK. Once you arrive at the checkout you will see the only other option to choose is your preferred delivery method. Our aim with the new system is to make it faster for our customers to receive their products without having the uncertainty over the charges due or to wait for their respective country customs to make contact for duty and tax payments.

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for explaining your position/ reasons for the pricing difference. Taking away all uncertainty is very appealing, pity it comes at such a cost, but that is economics.

×#$%& Brexit...

So.. the next chapter in my "router set up" journey may start with a Fox F60 100A . It doesn't look to be a fantastic set up as it is but at 120 euros I get a lift mechanism, 1/2", 1500W router, NVR & Speed controller with tracks & fence parts etc.. all of which I can hopefully use on another top if it's not good as it is. I can also use the legs for something else I have in mind.

What can go wrong ?

Thanks Droogs for those links to Banggood.. it's an awful website but there's a lot of very useful kit on there at very nice prices.

Thought it may be an option for you as their EU "wharehouse" is located in the Czech Rep. So should be easier on delivery for you

Hi Togalosh

Thank you for your enquiry on international pricing on the website.

Since Brexit, all shipments between the UK and EU are subject to tax and duty being paid on arrival in the destination country which has caused delays and large fees from courier companies and local import departments. Our new website allows EU and worldwide customers to purchase products from us with the tax and duty prepaid which means that the price you pay is the final price. There are no delays when the shipment arrives in the destination country. The website also allows you to pay in your local currency which means that you will not be charged a conversion rate from your card issuer, and often the opportunity to pay in three instalments.

In this instance the price you are seeing on the website for the JessEm Ultimate Excel II Router Table Package is 2250.00 euro and includes duty and taxes for France, so this is why when you convert 2250 euro back to GBP you are seeing a higher price than if you were purchasing and shipping in the UK. Once you arrive at the checkout you will see the only other option to choose is your preferred delivery method. Our aim with the new system is to make it faster for our customers to receive their products without having the uncertainty over the charges due or to wait for their respective country customs to make contact for duty and tax payments.

Cheers

Peter
Are you just paying VAT and the 2% charges levied by the courier for processing or are you declaring the country of origin, say for a JessEm machine as the USA and hence also paying duty?
In my experience no UK company that I have purchase from has declared the item to not be of UK manufacture and hence I have not had to pay duty.

Look for an IOSS capable retailer. You will then pay vat at checkout and no further processing charges upon import.

IOSS - my understanding is that the IOSS system is for order values of < €150.00. Below this value, retailer collects tax/duties payable to pass to local tax authority. If it’s above €150.00, then any tax/duties due will be requested and have to be paid before delivery is made. €150 threshold is for total order value, not by items.

Are you just paying VAT and the 2% charges levied by the courier for processing or are you declaring the country of origin, say for a JessEm machine as the USA and hence also paying duty?
In my experience no UK company that I have purchase from has declared the item to not be of UK manufacture and hence I have not had to pay duty.

We work within the international system on commodity codes and declare all the tax and duties that are due based upon the country of origin, I can't comment on what others do.

Cheers

Peter

Back