First Goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggatismus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

This is my first goblet, made from yew. Measures 3" x 6" and is finished with beeswax.

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

Special thanks go to Jenx for helping me with the methods

Criticism welcome

Roger

Certainly go along with the 'Well Done' for a first effort.

No criticism is justified, very few people as new as yourself to turning could do as well.

However a "Critique" is a different matter, there are those amongst our members who like chunky, medieval influenced articles and will go along with the form, others like myself prefer to go the way of more slender patterns more akin to those found in fine glass blowing, then again there are those that turn the exotic impractical tall thin stemmed ones just because they can, it's down to you whether you want to turn what you like or what others prefer.

So as far as a Critique is concerned from me, my personal preference would be for a slimmer stem and more curve to the bowl and there are a couple of tool or sanding marks still showing on the inside of the bowl but that is not a criticism it is an observation that may help you determine how to tackle or finish your next one.

I agree. I couldn't get the bowl rest cloese enough to the work in order to scrape it, especially in the bowl of the goblet.

The person i made the goblet for requested this particular shape and style

I will experiment other styles soon

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Hi Roger,
Well done, I quite agree with all the comments made and I feel for your first goblet there is nothing to be ashamed of!!
I agree with Chas that the cup should be a little more curved but I wonder how many of us have tried to go a little further and end up with disaster instead. Its even worse when turning a bowl and you observe silver coloured shavings coming through the base and realise you are turning the chuck away!
I saw your bowl on a previous thread and was well impressed with that also.
Keep it up and more power to your elbow, lets see some more.
Regards,
Ian

Brilliant first effort, looks like you needed to do a bit more sanding inside with your courser grit paper to loose the tool marks, other than that give yourself a pat on the back. Well done

JT

Well done Roger, the shape etc is down to personal taste and the wishes of the recipient.

The finishing will improve with practice but that is a really good first attempt.

Regards,

Mike C

Just got back online after 10 dfays in exile. Love the 'chalice' look of this.

Good choice of wood as well as it is guaranteed to get a good finish. Goblets are hardest to finish inside as they tend to be small and hard to cut cleanly but you have done good here :lol:

Not something a new turner would have a go at or perhaps, like me, it never occurs to you that some thibngs are best left until you are more experienced.
:lol:
Pete

Hi Roger,

I like it, love the large chunky bowl section

Loz

Latest posts

Back