First chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lovely chair Tony. I am particularly impressed with the pole lathe turning.

I couldn't get the alignment snags when boring out of my head. I have used a sliding bevel to line up the angles on seat undersides, using the edge of the blade as a reference. Anyway I came up with this.
Guide & Leg.PNG

I hope it sort of explains itself. Looking from the top, as in use when boring. The block, odd bit of scrap will do, has the edge A square to whatever it is sitting on in both directions. The face 'B' is aligned along the axis of the leg in line with the hole centre. The edge 'A' is positioned offset from the hole centre by just over the radius of the auger. In that position the eyes can sight down the gap between the block and the auger, and sight the auger to be parallel with the edge 'A'.
Angled holes could be organised by either making a block with a suitably angled edge 'A', or by having a rotating face on 'B'.

Keep up the great work, and explanations. The method of seating is eagerly anticipated.

HTH, xy.

Attachments

• Guide & Leg.PNG
    Guide & Leg.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 874
I had a similar thought about the drilling xy - I was thinking of a block with two of its edges having "V" grooves at right angles - one to clamp to the leg, the other to guide the augur. Having said that, I'm more than happy with the result of careul sighting with square/sliding bevel.

Before weaving the seat I finished the wood. This stage presents a dilemma for me. I have left the finish straight from the skew chisel for the turned parts, and card scraper for the back legs, with a bit of burnishing with shavings. I could have sanded it smoother, but I worry that I will lose the greenwood character that way. I applied a thin coat of Danish oil with a cloth, then when that was dry, two coats of homemade wax polish (2:2:1 mix of beeswax from FIL's bees, natural turpentine, raw linseed).

The seat I wove using seagrass. No photos of the process because it is fairly straightforward, and being no weaver, that is good by me ! I made an error in estimating how much seagrass I would need, so the warp and weft are different batches, the weft being some left over from a stool. I have convinced myself that I like it that way and so it is a happy accident. Here's the fished seat:

seat.jpg

And the finished chair:
finished2.jpg

finished1.jpg

Just an ash log, some seagrass cord, oil and wax. No glue, nails, tacks, sanding or power tools.

Thanks for watching - I hope you enjoyed a slightly different style of woodworrk, and thanks too for the kind/helpful comments :D

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 198
  • finished2.jpg
    finished2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 198
  • finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 198
Hi Tony,
That is a very good looking chair, well done! As for guides, I think we are often scared to use our built in computer and guidance system. It has often been said 'The simplest ways are generally the best'. From the image I cannot tell the differences between the two batches of seagrass, I know a fair few others that wouldn't either!
I find that sort of woodworking interesting. Do you have trouble getting hold of green wood?
If you are making any more items in this way, please post about the process.

xy

I hope to be making more chairs sometime. Rather than making a set of chairs, I like the idea of making individual chairs in different styles to suit each member of the family. This one is mine, it is quite an upright style (I suppose it is a Victorian design) and a bit tall for my other half.

I"ll do them gradually as the urge takes me and when suitable ash logs become available. That can be a problem, I don't have a woodland and so have to scrounge from a local tree surgeon, which is good for small pieces. For bigger logs like this I'm reliant on our green woodworking group, which includes a forester. They have been thinning out ash - which they have a lot of - to make space for other species in anticipation of ash dieback. Perhaps best not to leave it too long !

Great! I look forward to more Chair threads.
I had a Sycamore felled in March, fortunately the tree surgeon left me three sizeable chunks. It is very interesting working with 'green', well still wet wood.
As a direct result of reading this thread I split one lump the other day, I had sawn an earlier one. I don't own a froe so I resorted to a firewood axe to start the split and followed up with some chunky Oak wedges, cut from a small piece with the grain running the wrong way to be much use. I learnt a lot and have some nice, but small, pieces of 'quarter sawn' Sycamore. This of course will not move, much, as it dries. I think a bread board is on the cards. A very quick method of converting wood, but expensive in the waste.

That's a very nice looking chair and I love the traditional way you have made it, a lot of time and patience involved I should imagine

Vic

Back