First Budget Mitre Saw, Weighing Up My Options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My concern with the Metabo is it has a lot of moving parts as the fence can miter as well as the saw head so it just has more moving parts that could create inaccuracy.

I love my Kapex in the short time i have had it. yes i do have some concerns in regards to the motor as there is a big on-going thread on it at the moment over on the FOG. the dust collection is good even with my 27mm hose - i understand it gets better if you use the bigger use diameter. I had a look at the Bosch in Axminster and discounted it at the time just because it was so big and heavy, I work in my back garden at the moment as no workshop space and lugging that round the side of the house and back every time did not really appeal to me.

I don't think you would go wrong with either the Bosch or the Kapex. You get good warrenty back up with Both and until there is something conclusive on Kapex motor issues i am of the opinion it's a negligible concern.

It is a bit of a beast and I would need to have a measure up. I think the new Metabo could be the answer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the plunge and went for the Metabo KGS 216 M in the end!

Thanks for all the replys and advice

Hi GrahamF..I have been looking for a saw in the £250 - £300 price range for a while and have still not "committed"...so have been following this thread for some ideas. I had not heard of "SIP" until I saw your post, but checking the only 2 reviews on Amazon (both "1 star")...I guess you get what you pay for, so I wont be considering this one...(shame really as it seems to offer a great range for the money...but I guess thats the point..)

..I am still stuck between Bosch GCM 8 SJL v Ryobi EMS254L..?//need to decide soon.....

I saw a sliding mitre saw on display in screwfix, wasnt too impressed with the amount of play at full extension, easily 1/4".

Logger":2yl6ucxp said:
I would recommend the erbauer mitre saws from screwfix as a good choice. I got one a few months ago to use as a site saw as i got annoyed to keep moving my dewalt from my workshop.
I am really impressed with it, it is well built and is accurate. I got a new blade for it, but other than that, i reckon it will compete with £200 models.
Bought one just before easter (and then they announced a 20% discount on it while mine was still being shipped... #-o )
I had been looking at the evolution rage pro stealth fusion boy word boy word boy word rage thingy, but apart from the monumentally silly name on the damn thing, it just felt... gimmicky.
The erbauer is a lot less marketing department and just a little more engineering department. At least in the first week or two out of the box. A few quid for a new saw with twice as many teeth and I think it'll do for hacking up 2x4s and the like, which will make the bench build a bit easier.

And the laser's a bit of a gimmick that I don't expect to survive the first blast of sawdust, but it does make for a nice photo :D

Attachments

• aligned.jpg
    aligned.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 652
RobinBHM":hnvw6rn4 said:
I saw a sliding mitre saw on display in screwfix, wasnt too impressed with the amount of play at full extension, easily 1/4".

I would say the Metabo has a small amount of flex tho id say less than quarter inch. You have to put a decent amount of pressure on it tho and i expect this would happen on any sliding saw as its just flex in the metal.

On another note, i know this isnt an amazing picture but this is the fence on the Metabo. No gap at the bottom but tapers up towards the top. Is this something to expect witht he cheaper saws?

HexusOdy":2gobrdkg said:
I'd save your money, get to about £200 and then buy something decent used off Ebay.

That's fine in theory but much depends on where one lives. Most Ebay sales of machinery or heavy items are marked "collection only" and tend to be many miles from North Wales so little chance of pre-purchase inspection and would have to be a real bargain to justify time and cost of a long trip to collect an item which may well be up for sale because it's knackered - I've been caught before.

Being retired, my woodworking is purely a part time hobby so the expensive makes are out of the question, maybe I'm asking too much to expect something I bought, to do the job as advertised on the box. :?:

I have an Evolution Rage 3

This is the orange coloured series of saws with a single bevel.

- Don't touch the green Evolution series - they are not the same build quality.
- Don't bother buying a saw with a blade less than 255mm in diameter - just ignore the 210mm versions.

Evolution have an outlet on ebay for refurbished saws.The store is called Evo_outlet

They only come with 90 days warranty though - but I though if it's going to break - it probably will do so within the first 90 days so I took the risk.

A 'B' Grade Evolution Rage 3 255mm (there isn't one on there at the moment) typically costs around £95 including delivery, and I have found mine to be very good and pretty square,the laser was set up perfectly when it arrived - not keen on the clamps.

If you are cutting through fencing material these are ideal, as the blades are designed to cut through nails - you probably won't even notice when it happens accidentally.So there is an element of safety there.

As has been pointed out, you cannot find replacement blades for them other than the Evolution brand (or Screwfix who do a replacement under the Ebauer brand )

The blades do come up on Amazon occasionally under 'Todays Deals'

Like most cheaper mitre saws, the angle guide around the edge is only a rough guide. I have a piece of thin MDF with lines for 90 and 45 drawn on it. I just pull the blade down with the machine switched off to match the 90 line (or use the laser with the machine switched on) , and then rotate the blade to the 45 pencil line if I need to.

The other thing is, make sure you allow the blade to spin down in the material, and always cut on the push, this minimises any swirl marks on the endgrain.

Back