First beach bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz8521

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi all, this is my first attempt with beach so what do you all think?

Its 220 dia by 120 deep and 10mm wall thickness (I like the chunky look,but i bet all newbies say that)

So what do you all think?(i dont think is too bad) try not to be too cruel

Very Nice Gaz,

especially as it's your first. Was it a purchased blank or did you dry it yourself?

I tend to agree with Ray, about it cracking, if only because where the blank was cut from, it's seems to have the centre of the trunk/bracnh going straight through it. could mean a lot of tension has been removed.

That being said, it's still a lovely job.

That looks really good Gaz :D
Love the colour and nice shape,and looks well finished.
Think i would like to have seen the top edge slightly rounded,not so sharp looking :?
Keep em coming :D

superb for a first attempt :D
as has been said- if at all possible try to avoid having the center of the log within youre finished piece as this is where all the stress is and a higher chance of a green bowl splitting from.
what grit did you sand down to?
and what finish did you apply?
it might just be the picture but it looks like theres some small heat checks on the end grain on the outside of the bowl this is caused by excessive heat whilist sanding.

Hope it was dry enough for starters, be a shame if it opens up on you after all that effort.
Most points on timber selection and sanding risks have been covered but the comments don't detract from a worthy first effort in the media.

Commercially dried Beech can turn out quite bland but home cured often results in some very interesting colour striations even if not propagated for spalting.

Nice shape,looks like a lovely flowing curve inside and out,and nicely finished.

Well done,keep them coming :D

Andrew

I have turned a number of bowls in end wood like this and they haven't split but also quite a few that have so you might be OK. Try and make sure it dries out as slow as possible. Apart from that it looks good. The rounded rim suggested can be an alternative but a lot of people like this more utilitarian look.

Pete

Thanks for all the comments. I too have concern's about it cracking,in fact it has got a slight one but its not got any bigger since i first turned it six month's ago and i've put some superglue in it and i'll see what happens.Oh and by the way its finished in wax (not sure about that its a bit dull)and i think i did overheat it a bit when sanding (sore fingers) but i've got another 5 or 6 to come plus some in yew and oak so watch this space.again thanks for all your comments. :)

Back