First Bandsaw - Read previous postings but still confused?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Nicolaou

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there have been a lot of postings regarding bandsaws but I need some advice.

I have a budget of about £500 and really want to buy a new one.

I am a hobbyist but an ambitious one.

I use oak a lot, never really use softwood so it needs some oomph. I need to do some curved work (obviously) but I would like to be able to resaw (my own veneers). Obviously this partly depends on the blade and the supplied blade is straight in the bin and a dura edge one will go on.
Do i need a bandsaw that can take (and tension) an inch blade or is 3/4 inch sufficient?

I guess I will need something with a good deal of precision. Also nothing too plasticky, needs to be well built and last me a good few years.

So, to resaw stock, curved work, around £500 what am i looking at?

I open the floor to those a lot more knowledgable than me.

I really don't think you'll find a 1" capacity saw in your budget. 1" needs a great deal of force to stretch it, and consumer-grade bandsaws just don't do that, even if the wheels are physically 1" wide.

The good news is that, well set up, you can resaw veneers with the right 3/4" or even 1/2" blade. I think David C is the expert on this one IIRC.

I have the Scheppach Basato 5 and it is excellent in many respects. Huge footprint though, and I wish I'd bought its baby brother, no 3, instead, it would be more than enough for what I want, and I think that would be within your budget.

I've not seen it advertised, but I think that Scheppach were planning to offer a no 4, which presumably is somewhere between the 5 and the 3.

The axminter(white) bandsaws are very good - Philly has one and it is superb. I would buy one of these if I had £500 to spend as they are much better than £300 Charnwood (which is fine for most things)

I think a fairer question might be what do you see as the main function of your bandsaw. Narrow bandsaws were originally intended for cutting curves and shapes, hence many old cast-iron machines have limited height capacity beneath the guides but have a good blade to column distance (normally about 1in or so less than the diameter of the wheels). Modern requirements mean that more people want to resaw timber on a narrow bandsaw, so modern fabricated machines certainly have greater capacity beneath the guides, but they unfortunately are less capable of tensioning wider blades than their cast-iron forebears. This means that as a rule of thumb to tension a given blade width adequately you generally have to select a machine capable of taking a blade "one width" (i.e. 1/4in) wider than the one you want to use. So to fully tension a 3/4in blade you'll need a machine with a 1in blade capacity.

The characteristics of blades change a bit as the width of the blade increases, so at around 1in wide (on a 1-1/4in blade capacity saw) there is no need to concern yourself with setting the rip fence to accommodate blade drift, whilst it is an unavoidable fact of life on many 1/2in blades. The change comes at around the 3/4in mark where drift can still be exhibited but is normally of little consequence to the sawyer.

So I suppose the next question might well be what depth of cut do you require?

I think that on your present budget you'll probably find that you can get a 12 to 14in wheel machine capable of allowing 10 or perhaps 12in under the guides and which will resaw happily with a 1/2in blade but be incapable of adequately tensioning a wider blade (despite the manufacturer's claims). Having a narrower blade isn't an insurmountable problem, but you do have to be aware of blade drift and how to deal with it, that's all

Scrit

Tony is right about the 4300
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 364409.htm
I know it's outside your budget but see if you can think of stretching, it's on offer at the moment. I was lucky enough to buy the Europac version at about £500 but the axminster has a larger cast table and ball bearing guides and cast iron wheels so there are differences with apparantly same models. I think my machine is brilliant so this upgraded one must be good indeed. See if you can find a local dealer who does Jet machinery they often have a tie up with axminster and might be able to get it and deliver it without the excess carriage charge. My local dealer has offered this facility to me.

Alan

I have been reading the postings regarding inch blades and getting the tension on them.

So 3/4 and 1/2 inch are suitable - excellent.

I live in doncaster and I am rather near DB Keighley tools - so I guess i can play with one there.

I do like scheppach as I have a ts2000 and HMS3200ci so i terms of color co-ordination it works for me :)

Big fan of David C btw so some tips regarding resawing would be good.

I just recently bought the JWBS-16 (from DBKeighley aswell). The price is fantastic considering Axminster sell it for over £1000, and DB for £630+vat.

For the short time I have had it, I would say that it is excelent. Built like a brick outhouse. Sorry I can't give you a more detailed review, but as I say, I've haven't really had chance to put it through its paces. However, I am starting a guitar project at the weekend, and the first job will be bookmatching 7" mahogony and elm. I will let you know how it performs.

Excellent - thanks for the advice - yeah I was really impressed with DB and Dave - he is so competetively priced.

Nice bloke too.

Wow a guitar project - I would love to learn to play one never mind make one.

Free lessons for forum members ?

:wink:

Slimjim81":33rkcoa2 said:
Built like a brick outhouse.
That just about sums it up; not pretty, not really awash with fancy features, but the important stuff is solid as a rock and that's what matters. Had mine for a few years now, treat it terribly :oops: and would buy the same again (technically a "Axminster" one, but a Jet in everything but decal)

Cheers, Alf

A number of people on the forum reccomend "Woodslicer" blades for resawing veneer, and they really are worth getting if you want a clean cut and minimal valuable stock wastage. The JET or Axminster 4300 will easily tension a 3/4 woodslicer* as they are the same thickness as most 1/2 blades. There's some useful advice on resawing on their website too.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/inde ... tegory=295

Another recommendation for the Jet

upgraded from an E/B 315

Had mine about three years :D

Andy

A very topical topic for me at the mo! I have hankered after the 4300 for quite a while and it looks a cracking offer. SWMBO is OK about it. One other question though after reading this thread. Which is the better saw - the Axminster or the JET?

cheers,

Ike

Back