Fired up the genny yesterday...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
The more I hear of reassurances that the UK will not be facing power outtages this coming winter, the more I suspect we will, so in readiness I thought I'd give the generator a fettle, fill it with some bleedin' expensive Aspen and give it a tug.
Eventually burst into life, and I let it chug away for a few minutes, confident that we can have at least one table lamp lit in the house courtesy of an extension lead through the window.
That's when the neighbour leaned over the fence, wondering what the noise was all about....
"You'll have to earth the generator to be safe..." he advised.
I confess I'd never given this any thought before.
Using a 3 pin plug lead from the genny socket to a (say) 4-way socket indoors, is the "table lamp" not earthed?

for short periods/low loads I guess the extra earth pole need not be used...
think it's more for a genny that dont move....ie fixed in one place.......

just did the same with my Honda genny....as new and must be over 25 years old.....
then the ectronic thingy/senser that controls it quit.....
been told it's to old for parts let alone find someone to look at it.....
eng still starts first time tho...
Anyone recomend a Honda repair shop for NON engine parts......?

A long shot, but might be worth an email to Alex, at Dronfield Lawnmowers in the UK. Their website will show their address - I can't remember it off the top. He's a big fan of the "proper" Honda engines, before they started churning them out in Belgium (?) or wherever.
It's probably a "no", but ....

Odds on you won't need to earth the genny, this only really becomes an issue when you use a genny to supply an existing electrical installation and in your case it is an extension lead with a socket that you plug a fused load into.

Odds on you won't need to earth the genny, this only really becomes an issue when you use a genny to supply an existing electrical installation and in your case it is an extension lead with a socket that you plug a fused load into.

Cheers, Spectric!
(Again! Honda CRV dashboard lights one week, genny the next....!)

Is it worth plugging in a portable RCD device giving extra protection over a fuse??

Thanks good to know!
I'm not a sparky, either but my understanding is an rcd measures current flowing down the live cable and compares that to the current flowing back up the neutral if they differ by around 30ma it trips. Now if there is no earth connection then the fault current would be escaping via you. But the rcd would still trip.

Spectric, I agree you may not need an earth in this situation, BUT these "stand alone gennys" are NOT earthed.

In a mains supply, the neutral is taken to earth both at the supply side and the consumer end..
In these gennys, there is a reliance that the neutral is earth - not always the case..

Also, there is no difference between an "existing installation" and using an extension cord to power whatever.

Having said all that, I use a 1 Kva Honda genny without a seperate earth, but have a REAL earth stake for my 20 KVa 3 phase genny for the workshop.

Did you get the dash sorted in the end, what did it turn out was wrong?

Yes, sorted, thanks.
The final post on this page - Car electrics. Anyone here any good?! - answers your question.
All of which reminds me...I've still got the replacement unit to get rid of!
In truth, I'd have fitted it if I could've figured out how to alter the mileage to something like the legit one.

Also, there is no difference between an "existing installation" and using an extension cord to power whatever.
There is one major difference, if the genny was supplying an existing instalation then you would need to disconnect from the normal grid supply and you would be able to use everything as normal, but with a standalone genny and an extension lead you can only use what is pluged in and there is no connection to your installation and have a fully portable setup.

There is one major difference, if the genny was supplying an existing instalation then you would need to disconnect from the normal grid supply and you would be able to use everything as normal, but with a standalone genny and an extension lead you can only use what is pluged in and there is no connection to your installation and have a fully portable setup.
What you have said is totally correct.
If you are going to use a genny to tap into your existing installation, one MUST disconnect the installation from the mains as you may find the results of any phase mis alignment, "disturbing"
Unless you are confident that your genny neutral is at earth potential, it would be best to earth the genny - it never hurts to have an earth !

All very interesting, boys!
Thanks very much.
As regards the "genny neutral is at earth potential" comment in the last post, although I bought the unit new, no manual was provided and I've never discovered one since!
So much for a WolfPower 1200 (but it's probably a badged job anyway!)

I'm not a sparky, either but my understanding is an rcd measures current flowing down the live cable and compares that to the current flowing back up the neutral if they differ by around 30ma it trips. Now if there is no earth connection then the fault current would be escaping via you. But the rcd would still trip.
I stand corrected. I was thinking of PEN faults. At least I erred on the side of caution.

Back