Generator question...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a Wolf 1200 2.5hp just like the one featured on this :
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/42519/wolf-1200
Courtesy of a 10 hour powercut on Friday evening, I had the 'pleasure' of firing it up again, the first time in quite a few months. Luckily it's loaded with Aspen fuel, so no problem with carb/needle varnish etc, and it burst into noisy life on the third pull.
Chugged away outside for a while, powering a few 60 watt bulbs in the house.
I know the limitations, but it's funny how you really fancy a coffee when you know you can't have one!
Cut the lights, employed the torch and a few candles, and tried the kettle.
The 2.5-3kw kettle.....that made the Wolf work, I can tell you! Anyway, it just about kept going, straining like a good 'un, and eventually we got our Nescafes!

I've never been able to find a manual for the unit, but I know that a general safety rule states that a generator must be sited on level ground. Well, mine has never liked it! I've always had to prop one end up - usually a handy brick - in order for the fuel to reach the carb.
The supply pipe's OK. The carb's OK. The on/off valve's OK...but for some reason the petrol doesn't flow unless the genny is propped up at the far end.
The pain in the ar5e is that the unit vibrates so much - unless you keep your eye on it - the damn thing rotates and eventually wobbles itself off the brick....and stops.

Any ideas as to why it won't run on level ground?!

1. Because it costs £149.99 ;)
2. Try cleaning out the carb and checking the float height setting.

I remember paying perhaps half that! I think something had happened to Wolf just before - gone wallop? Into administration? - so perhaps I bought it from the receiver or similar? Somewhere around Mansfield, maybe...it's a good few years ago anyway.
Have stripped the carb a couple of times before, but it's the fuel flow to the carb that seems to be the problem. I can see through the clear plastic pipe leading down from the tank above that nothing flows when the unit is flat on the floor.
Thought I'd solved it at one time - if the pipe was/is (too) proud of the tank base, perhaps the fuel level is below the pipe opening. Tilting the genny towards the carb end would raise the fuel level above the pipe entrance, and the fuel would flow.
I convinced myself this was the answer....until I filled the tank more than I usually would and it made not a jot of difference!

I guess Wolf is/was yet another rebadger of far Eastern stuff.

Pull the fuel pipe off the carb, and see if fuel flows freely from the tank. If so, then the carb is stopping the flow, probably related to the float setting.

quite often there is a stick up fuel pipe in the outlet....
this is so only cleaner fuel enters the carb.....with the water and carp sitting on the bottom.....
It's not a good idea to leave the tank 1/2 empty or less as it creates condensation in the colder weather........

Was just going to suggest something ( pipe curled up in the fuel tank) but I see you have already eliminated that, but just check it hasn't moved again.

Are you sure you don't live on a bad slope and the brick just levels off the generator?? 😁

Does the fuel tap have "reserve" position?
A 3rd position. On, Off, Reserve.
If so, then not having enough fuel to reach the top of the "on" position, would need the frame tilting to make the fuel level deeper at the tap.

Bod

Strange
Maybe accept its one of those things and give up trying to find a solution and fix a short length of 2x4 to the frame it won't fall off if it's screwed on
Man after my own heart.

KISS...best principle

Strange
Maybe accept its one of those things and give up trying to find a solution and fix a short length of 2x4 to the frame it won't fall off if it's screwed on

Ha ha! Might well be the answer!

(Thinks - why the advice about level ground anyway?!)

Back