Finish removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWF

Established Member
Reaction score
Advice required. A person (I use the term loosely) has written on a neighbour's modern oak table with a ball point pen. They have asked me I could repair the damage. The supplier of the table has told them it is finished in "shellac lacquer". fortunately the table is made up of blocks of oak so I can remove, if necessary, the finish on that part of the top without stripping the whole table.
Question. What can I use to remove or soften this finish? I suspect that being shellac, meths may do it, but the "lacquer" part may stop this happening.
Any advice most welcome.
John

I suspect that "shellac lacquer" is simply shellac. After all lacquer is basically a finish held in a solvent which evaporates away although, in more modern lacquers a chemical reaction is also involved. Alcohol is the solvent so meths should do fine. Even if it does turn out to be something different it is hard to see what harm can be done by giving meths a try. At worst, it will remove any dirt or wax and might even lift the ballpoint ink.

Jim

You can use a lacquer solvent such as lacquer thinner or acetone to wipe off your finish.
The non catalyzed finish will be soften and easily removed with the thinner.
If it not work, it means that you need a chemical remover to strip your finish.

Good luck

wisno

I would remove the shellac with methalated spirit if this takes too long use nitromors(or any other good wood stripper).we do the whole table surface,not just the area where the pen marks are.It is very difficult to match in in one little area on a table top.Take care to repolish the same colour and sheen of finish!

Latest posts

Back