Finger Tearout! (Now with Gore)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to use a hand-held router to do template routing then you could probably stick everything together to a sheet of MDF using double-sided tape. This will depend on the size of the workpiece though. If it's quite small then there'll be little support for the router and it may tip off balance. That's why most people find it easier to do this on the router table.

A lead-on pin is essential really. If the jig isn't supported against the bearing of the cutter then there's a bigger risk of tearout. With end-grain in particular, it pays not to leave too much waste on.

Sweet Jesus! I've only just caught up with this thread and seen the picture, Wizer - Ye Gods man, you have a knack for understatement, that looks so much worse than I imagined.
Hope there is no permanent damage!

Hi Wizer,,,

Just got up on this thread,,,,and I hope it gets better soon,,,

After my experiences with my finger, the biscuit jointer and local A&E, all I can advise would be to gently ask the plastics folks if they are happy the wound is completely clean, and to look away while they check it,,,,

Good luck and a speedy recovery,,,,

I was very sorry to read this Wizer, but thanks for being staunch enough to post and remind the rest of us to be more careful - I'm sure you've saved at least one other person's finger by doing so.

Hope you recover speedily - you seem to have the right mental attitude to do so.

Ian

Wizer - Thanks for telling us about this. I work alone most of the time too, so I'm extra careful about safety, even so I had a minor cut yesterday (Didn't require a trip to A&E 'tho)

It's so eaasy to let a little change in routine and a momentary lack of concentration and bang, blood everywhere :shock:

Hope the finger is getting better now, and don't let it put you off, as they say in horse world - when you fall off, get straight back on the beast or you never will in the future.

Thanks Chaps, was back in the workshop today :D

Only for an hour, but felt good.

hi wizer

you lucky lucky man , could have lost that finger entirely , they only grow once tom no second attempts , don't envy you at all , get well soon .hc

Here's how it is a year later

DSC_1013.JPG

99% movement back and about 80% feeling. I barely notice it now, tho it does affect my turning a bit as it's in exactly the spot where the finger would run along the tools rest. Ah well, I was very lucky and as I just said over in the other thread, I'm dead wary of the router now. I have done that operation since and used paddles and a guard.

Well Tom , I have to say this picture of your finger looks a damned sight better than the last one you posted..
glad to see you made a full recovery, fella..

I know others have said this, but thanks for posting about this. Without doubt people will have learned from it, and it really takes guts to be so upfront about it. Shows how such a small error can have massive consequences....

I was going to ask you to post an 'after' pic - I can't believe how well it's healed. That's fantastic :D

Bloke at work always used to wince when I mentioned I was routing something. Turns out he and a mate were doing a bit of routing in the garage one day, rush job before they went out for beers. His mate was driving as it was his project, for workbench read piece balanced on tool box and poorly clamped.

Nearly done when his makeshift bench collapsed, the router slipped from his hand and instinctively he went to grab it, except that he grabbed the bit instead and routed most of the flesh off his index finger. Didn't lose the finger but he has a fairly redundant Beadle Claw.

Glad yours is on the mend Tom

Tom, just seen this thread for the first time ffs man :shock: that must have hurt.

Showed my missus and thought I was going to end up taking her to the A+E woman!!!

Glad to see that it has made nearly a full recovery,and a lesson for all of us there.
Lack of concentration cost me a severe pain of the gonads once when kickback off the table saw occured but nothing compared to what you had.

All credit for posting the thread in the first place.

Mark.

bloody hell wizer...just read this for the first time..im glad you are back together!

I was routing a pencil box this evening after work, did something daft and had a (very) near miss. Made me realise that knackered after a day at work is not the time to be trying something new in the 'shop...there but for the grace of god...

See...all this stuff with the tool spinning is just not right...what you need is the wood spinning...then life is good! :lol: :lol:

I just got around to seeing the 'gore'. That was nasty. I'm glad it healed up as well as it did. That could have been so much worse.

I'm not surprised you are wary of routers.

When I was a kid I watched a site chippy who wanted to cut a bit off the end of a 2"x1" batten. He couldn't see a hand saw he could reach so picked up a circular saw. He placed the batten over his knee and went to cut it.
The saw blade had big teeth, probably only 12 or so teeth, and when it caught on the batten the saw jumped and landed on his left thumb. His thumb bone jammed the blade but as he pulled away in pain he stripped all the flesh off his thumb.
That put me off circular saws almost for life. I do use them now but very cautiously and checking for safety all the time.

I dont believe that was a year ago, I think someone has been messing around with the forum dates.

I still cant think that was a year ago.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Commiserations Tom. Did a similar thing some 5 years ago. I didn't look at your injuries, just thinking back to my own is enough. Although the end of my finger and nail grew back, the nerve ends still tingle - a very useful daily reminder to concentrate all of the time I'm operating power tools! Get well soon.
Cheers,
Jim
PS In case I didn't say before, a big thank you for the UKWorkshop badge. Great!

Blimey, that healed up nicely! I had serious concerns about how that injury was going to end up, glad to see they were largely unfounded.

Keep it safe, guys!!

Back