Festools concept of Black Friday is off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which is why all of the other manufacturers are trying to keep up by copying their systems.
If only, copyright is good and bad but can stall product development. Just look at the Festool MFT concept, a great idea taken to an end product and then very little further development until others like Benchdogs take it to new levels with there quad MFT hinge system and similar MFT products that have allowed us all to make even more use of the original concept. I really hope someone does something similar with the XL700 domino when it's patent expires because it is a great concept with so much more potential waiting to be unleashed.

If only, copyright is good and bad but can stall product development. Just look at the Festool MFT concept, a great idea taken to an end product and then very little further development until others like Benchdogs take it to new levels with there quad MFT hinge system and similar MFT products that have allowed us all to make even more use of the original concept. I really hope someone does something similar with the XL700 domino when it's patent expires because it is a great concept with so much more potential waiting to be unleashed.

If a designer / manufacturer holds a patent and if the products using the patent sell well and with a very healthy margin, I can easily see why they wouldn't need to develop the product further. Far better, perhaps, to invest R+D money into something else which can be leveraged with a new patent, immune from copy for a further period of time and so continue the brand.

Take the case of Benchdogs: a wave of new products is good for them, but a purchaser still needs an MFT and plenty of them will buy one, conveniently, from Festool than take the lower cost route that many of us do.

Latest posts

Back