Festool saw with 3rd party track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to invest in a Festool tracksaw and was wondering if there is any loss in performance using a 3rd party track, Evolution or Excell. I am thinkink particularly about accuracy, ease of use and general enjoyment of the machine. I am a hobbyist woodworker and a bit of a tool addict so it won't be used in a professional environment.

I was originally going down the Makita route and while I think this is a good bit of kit a few reports and reviews recently, on here and else where, have suggested that I could end up wishing I had spent the extra few pounds and bought the Festool. The price difference isn't as great as I originally thought when I shopped around.

I have done a bit of research and the 2 mentioned are compatable and significantly cheaper that the festool track. Any thoughts or experience greatly received.

I use the festool with Makita tracks, I gather the excel are identical so you shouldn't have any issues. If it has the ridge for Makita's anti tipping lip you might run into compatibility issues with some accessories but it's not been an issue for me yet.

Festool saw is definitely worth the money over Makita in my personal experience, wish I'd gone for festool from the beginning.

Hello @Garden Shed Projects,
If you have not purchased your Festool saw yet then I would join @deema in advising to look at Mafell first.
I have used both Festool and Mafell/Bosh tracks for all sorts of tasks and IMHO ease-of-use/accuracy wise Mafell/Bosh track is a better choice.
Mafell track saw itself is superb.
The only thing which is sort of better in Festool style track area at the moment is a wider range of track accessories, but producers like benchdogs.co.uk have been gradually filling the gaps.

Probably no help to the OP but I found this rail interesting, supposedly works with Festool and Mafell saws and addresses the problems with both rail types so a kind of superior hybrid.

Only downside is it's (I think) Russian so probably unavailable!

https://ams-tools.ru/catalog/rail/ams-line/

supposedly works with Festool and Mafell saws and addresses the problems with both rail types so a kind of superior hybrid.
Hello @Doug71,
Interesting product. Looks like some sort of Festool/Bosch hybrid with some dubious design decisions.

Good:
- AMS Line track uses the same way of fixing the splinter guard and anti-friction strips on the bottom as Mafell/Bosch, no glue required

Not so good
- AMS Track does not have the usual slide/glide strips at the top so it is going to be metal on metal friction. Bosch/Mafell saws are designed to work without glide strips, but I am not sure if Festool saw will be too happy about that.
- AMS Line track uses the same connector style as Festool, which is hugely inferior to Mafell/Bosch connector.
@Garden Shed Projects - I forgot to mention in my earlier post - Mafell/Bosh saws are designed to support both their own and Festool style track. So if you were to get Mafell and find that its track style does not cover all of your needs (i'd like to hear about such an interesting use case) - you could always get a festool style track and use your saw on both tracks depending on the situation.
- I also do not trust the list of supported saws. On the product page Направляющая шина AMS LINE it states that Scheppach: PL55 is supported, but Scheppach PL55 has a different width track than Festool, so I am not sure what they mean by "supported" in this instance

@fleyh looking at the cross section of the AMS rail I wasn't sure if it might take the Mafell connectors, obviously good if it would.

I think one of the other plus points for the AMS if using a Mafell saw is that it's wider than the Mafell rail so better for using with dogs. One of the other pluses over the Festool rail is clamping closer to the cut line than you normally can with the Festool.

Obviously we don't know what the quality is like but it is a nice idea which I'm surprised nobody else is making.

anyone ever done a review looking at the quality of rails? I don't mean compatibility but say is the Festool better than a similar cheaper one?

I've heard there can be an issue when trying to join a Festool rail to a Makita one. Whilst they are compatible, the Makita one was very slightly different, so the saw caught on the join.

Not an issue if sticking to track from one brand or you don't intend to join tracks.

I’m after a 3m rail for my festool so very interested in this discussion

Btw I’ve tried the festool and Mafell, both great so you won’t be disappointed either way

The Tracksaw Workshop playlist has everything related to plunge saws and guiderails and there’s a specific video on rail compatibility here

Long and short of it is that all saws work on Festool-pattern guiderails as it’s the defacto standard having been patented first, but they don’t necessarily all work well. If you want to avoid compatibility issues buy one manufacturers track and stick to it. More expensive tracks tend to be better quality - shocker - but in terms of keeping the saw located on the rail I haven’t found much to choose between them, and I use a mix of Festool and Makita tracks, generally.

The Festool track has an upward facing t-slot on the left-hand edge which makes it very useful for accessories like parallel guides and rail stops; tracks without this (Bosch, Mafell, DeWalt, many of the rails that come with entry-level saws etc…) will find it harder to use these. Makita has the t-slot, but also has an anti-tipping lip that can get in the way of these accessories, and some saws too; the Makita pattern is the most widely copied track (no royalties, I believe) by third parties who ‘manufacture’ the Titan/Triton/MacAllister style saws. Evolution rails have the left-side t-slot, but downward-facing which makes it a lot less useful.

Be cautious about mixing and matching third party saws and rails; the ‘badge engineering’ that goes on in the entry level leads to some anomalies, eg the Excel branded saw (an Einhell/Parkside clone) comes with 2 x 700mm guiderails, but this saw and rails are incompatible with the Excel 1400mm rail, which is a Makita clone. 🤦‍♂️

If you’re planning on joining rails a lot then the Bosch/Mafell system will definitely be a time saver, but as a long time Festool user I’ve never had an issue joining their rails accurately - you must use two joining bars though, and treat it carefully when moving a joined track around; many of the problems that people report seem to stem from just using the one bar, and expecting it to hold straight when lifting a 2.8m length of rail from one end. If you’re looking for a long rail them the Makita 3-metre is still the best value.

Despite the similarities between the Makita and Festool tracks, I’ve always found the Festool to be more grippy. I prefer the Festool splinterguard over the Bosch/Mafell as it can be edged out and re-trimmed. AFAIK Festool is the only saw that maintains blade position as it’s bevelled - if you expect make a lot of bevel cuts that may be important.

The AMS rails look interesting, but being Russian I don’t think they’ll get a lot of business somehow.

For context I own a lot of tracksaws and have used most of the ones available here in Britain. HTH P

I think by all accounts the biggest advantage of the festool is dust extraction, it is what so many seem to like about it and apart from that they all cut sheet goods using a track. I used to get perfect results using an old Bosch saw and length of angle iron, no better or worse than my tracksaw but where the tracksaw comes into its own is with speed of setup, much faster to cut a sheet up especially with Benchdogs rail square and parallel guides. Rather than joining tracks, if you have the space to store it and want no issues then just get a 3 metre track. Is there really much difference in the Mafell and Bosch saws, both are identical in weight, power and speed range ? Is this just a case of a BMW or an M series BMW where a lot of the cost is in the badge.

For context I own a lot of tracksaws and have used most of the ones available here in Britain. HTH P
This is an important point; for any given item you will find a gazilion (in round numbers) reviews from people with no experience other than with that model; they can only affirm what they have been told about the tool, rather than, as Peter and others do, give a firsthand comparison.

This is an important point; for any given item you will find a gazilion (in round numbers) reviews from people with no experience other than with that model; they can only affirm what they have been told about the tool, rather than, as Peter and others do, give a firsthand comparison.
Don't forget that with tools you also have the human factor, does the tool feel right for you because if it has ergonomics that dont suit you then no mater how good it is technically it will still not be for you. As an example I like a mitre saw handle to be horizontal like a motorbike throttle and do not like them vertical.

Don't forget that with tools you also have the human factor, does the tool feel right for you because if it has ergonomics that dont suit you then no mater how good it is technically it will still not be for you. As an example I like a mitre saw handle to be horizontal like a motorbike throttle and do not like them vertical.
Yes, I agree. I think a lot comes down to ergonomics, which is very personal. However, I do excuse the left-hand unfriendliness of the mafell jigsaw!

Luckily being ambidextrous I dont have that problem, but saying that some tools are just unfreindly and you cannot get to grips with them.
Likewise, I’m reasonably ambitious, so can actually use the jigsaw with my right hand. But I shouldn’t have to, especially for a Top Shelf tool! 😤

I have had a look at most of the saws available from the budget end up to Makita and Festool, I haven't tried the Mafell, and agree that how it feels is a big part of the deceision. The more you pay the better they feel. I quite liked the Triton saw but thought that parts availability should anything go wrong might be an issue. Plus I have a big birthday coming up and thought I would treat my self. With Festool being the most mainstream and original version of the track saw accessories and parts will be easily available at reasonable cost. While the Mafell may be a superior bit of kit I am not sure that 3rd party accessories will be as readily available

The buy cheap but twice philosophy was on my mind and wondered if something fairly inert, like a guide rail, would prove false economy in the long run. From what I can glean from the brains that have contributed to this thread as long as I stick with 1 brand there shouldn't be any issues with the fairly light use it will get.

Back