Festool Domino just blew up!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've not had the DF500 long. I have used it a few times, maybe put in about 40 mortises in total.

I was attempting to build a timber rack out of SPF softwood and putting 10mm slots in the supports. 2nd slot in, a loud band, a huge spark, and I was cast into darkness. Garage sub panel breaker popped. Turned everything back on. The domino looked OK. No black marks, smoke or burning smell. So I turned it back on, and it immediately trips the breaker. So it is toast.

Yes, I did have dust collection on and connected. No, I wasn't mashing the bit into the work piece. In fact it happened as soon as the bit just touched the wood as I was pushing the domino mechanism forward.

I have raised a service request.

Really concerned they won't honour the warranty. I haven't abused it, in fact I kind of baby it as its the most expensive hand power tool I have. But how do they prove you have/haven't done anything bad?

It is pretty good they come and pick the unit up...anyone with experiences of speed of repair etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bodgers":41370v17 said:
So I've not had the DF500 long. I have used it a few times, maybe put in about 40 mortises in total.

I was attempting to build a timber rack out of SPF softwood and putting 10mm slots in the supports. 2nd slot in, a loud band, a huge spark, and I was cast into darkness. Garage sub panel breaker popped. Turned everything back on. The domino looked OK. No black marks, smoke or burning smell. So I turned it back on, and it immediately trips the breaker. So it is toast.

Yes, I did have dust collection on and connected. No, I wasn't mashing the bit into the work piece. In fact it happened as soon as the bit just touched the wood as I was pushing the domino mechanism forward.

I have raised a service request.

Really concerned they won't honour the warranty. I haven't abused it, in fact I kind of baby it as its the most expensive hand power tool I have. But how do they prove you have/haven't done anything bad?

It is pretty good they come and pick the unit up...anyone with experiences of speed of repair etc?

Why are you worried they won't honour the 3 year warranty ? If it's registered and less than 3 years old they'll fix it no problem.

Never heard of a domino blowing up so you're unlucky.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I think so long as you're in your warranty period and havent abused it (chucking it off scaffolding etc) then i doubt Festool will quibble, their warranty even covers theft!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's the first Domino that I have heard of that has gone bang...!
As the others have said, I wouldn't worry regarding the warranty. If it's registered and within the 3 years from purchase date, they will fix it.

Distinterior":3jssp46d said:
That's the first Domino that I have heard of that has gone bang...!
As the others have said, I wouldn't worry regarding the warranty. If it's registered and within the 3 years from purchase date, they will fix it.

I think this is my problem - they will be thinking "blow ups are very rare - they don't blow up like this without abuse" = no warranty claim.

This thing is pristine visually - I just hope that's enough to convince.

We'll see...

Have you checked the cable?
Inside the plug?
Another tool in the same socket?
Could save a red face moment later on.

I only have one cable for it. It is unlikely to be the cable as its in perfect un damaged condition.

I have tried it in a different socket. Same result. The spark and pop came directly from the unit, and the fact that the unit trips the breaker when turned on suggests a very sick Domino....

I've sent a few festool tools back for warranty repairs, including ones that have been heavily used (dropped, scratched etc.). They have always fixed them promptly with no quibbling. I would be amazed if they don't do the same with your domino.
Paddy

I think you're deciding there's going to be a problem before it's happened!

Festool are renowned for sticking by their tools/customers in fact it's one of the ways their extra pricing often gets justified by those in the trade ie they can rely on a no quibble service in the case of mechanical failure (or even theft). Don't worry about it, just take it in and they'll handle it.

The only the thing that's springs to mind is to remove any 3rd party bits from it, if you have them.
Didn't there use to be an issue with the larger dominoes and collet extension/reducers?
Hope it gets sorted for you quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It isn't easy to abuse most Festools beyond what they're designed for. With a unit so new, it's almost certainly a manufacturing problem. Either way, they'll fix it!

ColeyS1":2nsl71ny said:
The only the thing that's springs to mind is to remove any 3rd party bits from it, if you have them.
Didn't there use to be an issue with the larger dominoes and collet extension/reducers?
Hope it gets sorted for you quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I don't have an adaptor of any kind so I don't think it's that. It is totally standard.

Shocked that it has done it. Ironic that of all the power tools I have it is the most expensive :)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

My XL domino died after a very short time.
It lost 90% of it power, it would spin at a reduced speed, but as soon as it made contact with the timber it bogged down.
I filled in the online service request, (I think that evening) it was collected next day and returned a couple of days later.
Overall I was very impressed with the service!

bourbon":1uv7ep3l said:
I've done more than 40 mortices with my aldi jobbie! A classic example of expensive not necessarily better

That's like saying my push bike is better than a Aston Martin. Firstly two different machines so your comparing apples and pears and secondly two accounts is hardly proof that one is better than another. I've done more than 40 mortices with my Domino but that doesn't prove it's better than an Aldi device that's failed below forty.

What a wholly unhelpful post. Might as well nick the guys wallet while you're kicking him when he's down.

I've got no issue with Aldi tools (I have some of their clamps) but you seem to have an issue with Festool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my domino since they came out and never had a problem with it.

Used Festool service once or twice and normally been good, they did have a bit of a back log 2 weeks ago though when my saw went in and it took over a week to get sorted.

Doug

oakfield":t16escsn said:
My XL domino died after a very short time.
It lost 90% of it power, it would spin at a reduced speed, but as soon as it made contact with the timber it bogged down.
I filled in the online service request, (I think that evening) it was collected next day and returned a couple of days later.
Overall I was very impressed with the service!

They actually arranged collection so quick they arranged it for today whilst I was out! So it should be a quick turn around.

I have had my suspicions about my unit ever since it came out the box actually. The motor has always sounded a bit 'dry' and a bit on the rough side. Not sure what is normal really for these...

Compared with the Dowel jointer I had previously it is night and day better than that though, just it terms of repeatability and build. I am sure if I get it back working all will be well.

Back