Fence Post Splits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoftyDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Please could anyone kindly advise me what to do about the splits in some gate posts which seem to have stabilised but could allow water to enter into the centre of the post.

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

David
BDA3E540-007F-4CDF-93B7-41EA257AA933.jpeg

A couple of things you could do are . fill the cracks with with a glue and sawdust mix,put plenty in and sand of any excess when dry .Or fill with resin but tape up the sides(duck tape works) to stop it running out when drying and again sand off when dry .Or cut the tops off flat and square then fit a capping piece that overhangs by a few mill to shed the water away from the post . careful in your choice of glue as a pu type such as the gorilla brand expand quite a lot and could force the splits further apart. Consider putting a stainless steel band or maybe even two (think large jubilee clamp) around the posts that would help in preventing further splitting, tighten them up while the glue is wet and if lucky they might close up a bit. .Put some kind of wood treatment preservative on both the posts and the gate to help increase their longevity.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your quick and helpful response. I had thought that resin or glue and sawdust could be solutions but was worried that these might not work if the wood moves again. Using the stainless steel bands would reduce this potential issue.

I'm not sure about the capping piece and might just keep regularly topping up with water resistant preservative.

The posts belong to my daughter so I will chat these and any other options with her to see which she prefers and will post the finished posts when complete.

Kind regards,
David

I'd be wary of filling the cracks, unless your seal is perfect (and movement in the wood will always be an issue) , water will get in, and then it might easily be trapped in place making things worse.

Personally I'd let it get nice and dry (spring maybe?) run a gaffer tape up the length of the crack, leaving the top open, then flood the crack with preservative, wait a few days and then do it again (and again until you are confident it has taken all it can), then remove the tape, and coat the rest of the post.

If you think the crack is likely to get worse, you could run a couple of heavy screws or bolt through side to side pinching the crack shut (or at least minimising further splitting

I think outdoor wood always has a finite lifetime, and for a heavy post like this I wouldn't be too worried

You're worrying about a split that could well be self-draining whilst you have exposed end grain at the top of the post, and even worse presumably ground contact at the bottom? I would introduce a sense of proportion about this, and I certainly wouldn't be introducing alien manufactured chemicals like glue, sealants and preservatives into such a natural environment. Relax and move on - life is short.

I've assumed that the top fixing for the gate is bolted all the way through, but can't see from the picture (leaves in the way)

if the hinge is the screw on type, that could be pulling one one side and potentially putting stress on the crack.

Paint it with preserver, not much you can do to fill that would work and not compound problems

All fair points that filling the splits with glue/resin may or may not make things worse by trapping any water , my preferred option would have been to cap the posts and use a couple of stainless bands coupled with a wood treatment. My own gate posts have several cracks/shakes in them but will almost certainly out last me so i won't lose any sleep worrying about them :)

Thank you all for the detailed responses and sound advice. The gates are very heavy and this probably has made the split worse than just normal weathering. This was why I was concerned with the posts having such wide splits.

The other posts around the property have some splits but not so wide! I’m sure the extremely hot weather we have had this year means that the wood has dried out and split more than normal.

So I will see if the hinge screws can be changed to spread the weight better. Then flood the cracks with preservative. Then use stainless steel bands to reduce the risk of the split progressively getting worse.

I might also use appropriate screws/bolts to reduce the size of the split depending on the tension required. I would be concerned that putting too much pressure to close the gap may just cause other splits in the wood.

As an interesting aside, my clamps have a force of 8000N which always seems excessive and how does one determine what pressure is being applied other than the relative feedback when turning the screw on the clamp!

I like the idea of capping the posts and will discuss this option with my daughter otherwise I will ensure we regularly use preservative on the posts going forward.

Thank you all for your excellent feedback.

David

Then flood the cracks with preservative. Then use stainless steel bands to reduce the risk of the split progressively getting worse.
I might also use appropriate screws/bolts to reduce the size of the split depending on the tension required.

David
I doubt the weight of the gate has any relevance. The posts have the pith running through them and so were bound to split - they're no different to any others I've seen. I wouldn't think they'd get worse. It's water soaking down through the pith you're trying to avoid, they'll rot from the centre - the centre being vulnerable 1/ because it's soft and 2/ because the preservive doesn't get all the way to it. The rain will run into the outer cracks and mostly run out again, as long as you don't try to close them by restricting their movement.

How about putting a cap on the posts either a wooden one or a one made from lead or substitute lead flashing?

Will keep the rain out much better.

The pith of the wood is at the centre of the post, evident at the end of the bevelled point: the pith is the original stem of the tree. What you see are the sort of splits that follow the medullary rays. All attempts to prevent further splitting by pouring in epoxy resin, or similar ideas simply won't work. Slainte.

How about putting a cap on the posts either a wooden one or a one made from lead or substitute lead flashing?

Will keep the rain out much better.
I did my verandah with tidy caps of lead, but the old oak field gate post were simply lightweight alloy folded over and copper nailed, fitted like a pitched roof.

The pith of the wood is at the centre of the post, evident at the end of the bevelled point: the pith is the original stem of the tree. What you see are the sort of splits that follow the medullary rays. All attempts to prevent further splitting by pouring in epoxy resin, or similar ideas simply won't work. Slainte.

Jack doesn't seem too concerned about doing so?

I reckon it'll rot out at ground level long before the top, not sure about Jack's method, but his wood is dry,

Jack doesn't seem too concerned about doing so?
I'd say that's not really relevant. Your example is of someone using techniques on what is said to be dry timber which then goes into the protected fabric of a building, or a part of the building that's semi-protected, and I guess possibly painted. The OP's wanting to fix cracks in a post that started wet, dried and developed a shake(s), is very much exposed to the elements and likely subject to large changes in moisture content seasonally. I'm still of the opinion that glue or epoxy resin and maybe fillets won't be effective. Slainte.

Bear in mind that the crack is a result of shrinkage and the crack just happens to be where it "let's go".

If you fill that void with something solid and the timber when getting soaked again is wanting to expand, it's likely to be forced against the solid packing and open it up further past the heart on the other side of the pith.
Almost like riving a tree trunk sideways with wedges.
Personally I see these splits as handy vents for allowing the post dry naturally after rain...
Cheers, Andy

Latest posts

Back