fein

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodster101

Established Member
Reaction score
Fein multi tool are they that much better than others, and how much is it down to the blade, and are there any brands of blade manufacturers about, that are recommended that provide a decent blade, without being over priced, thanks

I've only ever owned a fein multi tool so can't comment on other machines, my fein is 7 or 8 years old and has been thoroughly used and abused in a professional capacity, it's never let me down and when it does fail it will be replaced by another fein.
When it comes to blades fein one are probably the best, but I have difficulty parting that kind of cash as they don't last very long, I've discovered a brand called well cut, which I like, they're cheaper than fein but still don't last very long

I'v had a number of multi tool and they have all given up just when you need them, I now have two Fein multi tools and they just seem to go on and on without any drama, so another very satisfied Fein owner, the saxton blades are OK but don't last as long as the Fein, but then they are only a fraction of the cost, I tend to keep the Fein blades for decent finnish work or when I want to cut to a fine tollerance.

Mike

Thanks, have been using Saxton blades for a while; but was in a rubbish worx, thing screams, gets red hot, seen an old fein, just wanted some feedback, but shall look into the well cut blades, as found destroy my Saxton ones quite quickly

+4 or 5 for Fein multitools. Mine is now 10yrs old or so and going strong. Only repair was to replace a capacitor near the switch and that cost £12.50 at a local repair shop.

What has not been mentioned is that the Fein multi tool seems to vibrate less in the hand, important if you have any kind of Arthritic problems in the wrist or hand, I suppose its just a higher frequency, but it does not seem to tire the hand and arm as much.

Mike

I bought my first Fein Multitool some 25 years ago after a German doctor cut off my sons plaster caste with one. Fantastic tool which he now uses and it performs exactly like it did from new. I now have the mains and cordless versions with the Starlock blades and they are just superb, very low vibration and the cordless one is just as effective as the mains one. I have always used Fein blades throughout the years I have owned them, mainly because they were the only ones available until the patent ran out. They are expensive but they last and I like how they perform.

I did use a DeWalt 18v multitool the other day and had I not had Fein's I would have bought one on a heartbeat. Very good performance, a built in LED light and a quick blade change which whilst not as fast as the Starlock, is a very simple and effective design. Slightly more vibration than the Fein's, but a very nice tool from a brand I had written off years ago but which I am slowly purchasing after buying the excellent finish nailer and superb green diode laser level.

Fein no longer the best. I had to stop buying them kept burning out. (Under torture use) worx f50 followed by F30 are beasts.

Eat anything you throw at it. Fein blades still the best but priced to match

I've got the Bosch (GOP250?) and find it great. As per the above, the Saxton blades are not premium, but for me they strike a great balance between "good" and "cheap" which is perfect for a tool that typical I'm using for DIY rather than any form of fine woodwork.

I had a green Bosch, and then bought a Fein as soon as I saw it demonstrated at our local building material suppliers.
Lack of vibration and easy blade change was what attracted me to it, compared to the Bosch. It's a good tool, though I am a DIY and occasional handyman user, so I cannot say that it has had a hard life.

I got involved with Fein's production and management staff a few years back, albeit to a limited extent. We had an extensive discussion about the multi tool and their countless copies around. It seems they still have the edge over their competitors down to several aspects of the tool, mainly the mechanism and arc of movement itself. Despite the simplicity of the tool it seems it's not that easy to replicate the function, hence Festool partnering with Fein to produce the Vecturo despite the patent itself being lapsed.

That said a lot of the FOG members swear by blue Bosch over Fein and Festool. I personally went the Fein 350 route purely down to the dust collection option, minimum vibration /noise and the price. I think these are often overlooked in multi tools but are major issues in my opinion. The dust from wood using these tools is extremely fine and incredibly nasty stuff and the noise and vibration aspect can be a serious long term issue for lots of us.

+1 forgot about the very efficient dust extraction on the Fein, seems I have taken it for granted, so efficient I forgot. =D> really is probably the best tool I have ever bought.

Mike

I like Fein stuff and have a couple of their drills as well as the Multimasters and a very old Dustex extractor. Never had a single problem with any of them over 25 years of using Fein's and the build quality of the new tools is just as high as the old ones which is refreshing, as many brands have diluted their quality over the years.

Dust extraction on the mains Multimaster is very good but the cordless one is poor. I know that connecting a cordless to a mains operated extractor does rather defeat the portability of the tool but there are occasions when it is desirable. This is where the DeWalt cordless impressed me as you can connect a dust extractor to the delta pad rather than the tubed add-on to the Fein bodies.

I used to use multitools daily under torture conditions. Undercutting pitch pine skirting an inch thick for 20m in length without stopping. It kills the new 350q. The other problem with the 350 is the vibration reduction has left you with a blade that wanders.

The worx f50 puts the fein tools to shame. It cuts probably twice as fast. 5° angle of oscillation and a motor that seems to love to be pushed. Only bad thing i have to say about it is that it does get hot, but few people probably put their multitools under that kind of stress

https://youtu.be/OvyHgYX0hl0

Cheesy i know but it really does cut much faster than even the fein supercut.

I had the fein and used it for many a year but it died. As it was hobby use only I could not bring myself to buy another fein as it was not used that much. Got a Stanley for £60 and does the job I need it for for a lot less money

The lack of vibration and the excellent dust extraction on the mains Fein, make up for any shortcomings perceived or otherwise, I am happy enough with mine that I bought another to use elsewhere.

Mike

Picked up a multimaster, do prefer it to my old worx, as it doesn't scream as much, but really it's the heat issue you get, as alex mentioned in his post, they get roasting hot, so glad I did.thanks

Back