Featherboards - Who favours what ?.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
More spindle work on the go and im using self made featherboards, which is probably down to me not getting round to actually buying the premade variety, but I'm thinking about it.
So to help me decide whats best I thought I'd ask you lot. :D

I always make my own. Anything straight grained will do, thicker, thinner, longer, shorter, to suit. G clamped or bolted on. Can't see any advantage in a bought one it's such a simple device.

I've made quite a few from IKEA polyprop chopping boards for my router table, bandsaw and table-saw - either single thickness, or two glued together - boards cost <£2 each + a couple of ground-down M8 bolts and knobs to fit the T-track. Angle cuts made on the mitre-saw and slots cut out with a palm router

I did try some cheapo chopping boards from B&M but the mitre saw blade was too warm and the angle cuts melted the polyprop - the IKEA boards are dishwasher safe, thus tolerate high temperatures frm the saw blade.

@petermillard has a good YouTube video about featherboards made from MDF

Mine just hardwood off-cuts. Bandsaw the slots. Endless variations possible. Quick photos of a couple I use: (not in use I just popped them on for the photo)

feather1.JPG

feather2.JPG

Last edited:
Can’t say I’ve ever needed them, two push sticks for the tablesaw, and set up the fences on the moulder, interesting the way other people do things. Ian
Jacob why don’t you just use your saw fence to the right of the blade as normal?

Can’t say I’ve ever needed them, two push sticks for the tablesaw, and set up the fences on the moulder, interesting the way other people do things. Ian
Me too as a rule but featherboards are handy for some jobs, but not all.
Jacob why don’t you just use your saw fence to the right of the blade as normal?
I do - just didn't put it on for the photo. Come to think - you wouldn't want the first one in the position I've shown it - maybe I should have set it up more carefully, as for a job in hand!

Last edited:
I've made quite a few from IKEA polyprop chopping boards for my router table, bandsaw and table-saw - either single thickness, or two glued together - boards cost <£2 each + a couple of ground-down M8 bolts and knobs to fit the T-track. Angle cuts made on the mitre-saw and slots cut out with a palm router

I did try some cheapo chopping boards from B&M but the mitre saw blade was too warm and the angle cuts melted the polyprop - the IKEA boards are dishwasher safe, thus tolerate high temperatures frm the saw blade.

@petermillard has a good YouTube video about featherboards made from MDF
Wouldn't happen to have a pic of one would you ?. I've some old cutting boards i'd hung on to and that sounds like just the thing, should a proper made one not be suitable.

Those hedgehog ones seem horribly overpriced for what they are. I dont mind spending money, but that seems too too much for a bit of plastic.

I did mine out of some oak offcuts, I have this one, and another double the size. I should use them more to be honest

IMG_3718.jpeg

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of one would you ?. I've some old cutting boards i'd hung on to and that sounds like just the thing, should a proper made one not be suitable.

Those hedgehog ones seem horribly overpriced for what they are. I dont mind spending money, but that seems too too much for a bit of plastic.

No - but I'm planning to make another one in the next day or two - using the mitre saw at 45 degrees with a stop on the blade - I'll take some pix and post them

In the meantime have a look at - that's where I saw the idea. For mine I cut the angle cuts and then trimmed the whole thing on the band saw before cutting the slots for the t-trak bolts. I think I have 2 IKEA boards so will glue them together to get a greater thickness.

I also have a couple of purchased featherboards that work vertically on my (home-brewed from plywood) router table fence - with featherboards on both the horizontal and vertical planes it makes milling mouldings a doddle and is very accurate for slots.

Can’t believe no one has said the Bow Feather board yet. Look here

brought one and really really pleased with it. They do all sorts of feather boards.

The craziest priced seem to be the Magswitch.
They are just trying to make a living the poor things! Making your own will deprive someone in a plastics factory of a job! Ignore that feather-boards and push-ticks are amongst the easiest things in the world to make, out of scraps from the waste pile!
There's a strong element of steam punk about these things - exercises in style over substance.
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/EmilyAqualime/steampunk-inspiration-tools/

The prices of some of them are a bit daft. Look at the bandsaw guide.
Well like I said, I took the plunge and am impressed with mine and believe it’s worth the money. The construction is very good and it has clear advantages and improvements over almost any feather boards I’ve ever come across.

Louis

Well like I said, I took the plunge and am impressed with mine and believe it’s worth the money. The construction is very good and it has clear advantages and improvements over almost any feather boards I’ve ever come across.

Louis
I like the look of these and will be using some of my hard earned to get them, thanks for the link vma

Latest posts

Back