Fake goods- anything I can do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

wonder if anyone can give me any info.

Ive purchased goods, a set of headphones, just received them and they're an obvious fake, no packaging, and just not what they should be.

It was UK website.

Ive done some research about the company from where I bought them, I know, what I should have done before I bought them!!, however other people have said not to go near the company with a barge pole, apparently they deal in Chinese fake goods.

Is there anything I can do?

Obviously the company has received the payment, however it was made through paypal with my Visa card, however I don't have a Paypal account set up (as far as I'm aware).

Grateful for any advice as I'd be loathe to let these rip off merchants get away with it, however I realise I could have been taught an expensive lesson!

Thanks

Hard luck, Phil.

Can you name and shame them so we can all avoid them in the future?

How much were they? Over £100 then you're covered by the credit card company (I think).....or was it a Visa debit card?

Complain to Trading Standards ...not that they ever seem to do much in my experience. There is a guy on eBay selling ripped off woodworking DVDs but neither 'Hey - as long as we get our fees, what do we care' eBay nor Trading Standards were bothered.

EDIT: Take a look at the bottom of this link...http://www.visaeurope.com/en/newsroom/n ... rope_.aspx

EDIT 2 : Even better news...if it was Visa debit then the £100 doesn't apply and you should be covered

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/

Hi Roger,

The company is called Sounds Great.

Unfortunately the were only £75.00, which should have made me think twice as they were Bose.

My card is a Visa credit card.

Ive already mailed them for a refund, however on what Ive researched I'm not holding my breath on receiving a reply.

I think I'd find out where 'Sounds Great' operate from and go and pay them a personal call :wink: ...Rob

Hi,

I had almost exactly this issue with a fake memory card from ebay sometime back before I "knew better".
I contacted paypal who said I should send it back for a refund, This would have cost me half the value and risk still not getting a refund and I wouldn't have got my money back.
I then sent the card to Sony UK for verification of it's "fakeness" They duly returned it (still my property) with a letter stating it was fake. I then went to my credit card company and explained all, e-mailed them copies of Sony's letter and evidence that I had tried to get Paypal to do something, and said I did not think it was reasonable to pay for return postage. They agreed and did a chargeback to Paypal. I got my money back.
One thing to be aware of when getting your credit card company to do a chargeback, they have to have good evidence for doing it to the clients bank or the client can refuse the chargeback, the bank will back them and you will still be billed. This has also happened to me, although I still managed to get a goodwill payment out of the credit card company.

Cheers Alan

I would contact BOSE also. They'd be very interested in shutting them down I'd of thought if they're a blatant copy.

If you are within the statutory cooling off period you are covered under the distance selling regulations.
Have a read here for details link

Send them back and demand a refund, if they won't play ball Trading Standards should step in as compliance is a legal requirement for anyone selling goods in this way.

WellsWood":310ej1mo said:
If you are within the statutory cooling off period you are covered under the distance selling regulations.

Send them back and demand a refund, if they won't play ball Trading Standards should step in as compliance is a legal requirement for anyone selling goods in this way.

Trouble is, Mark, that they are going to give him the runaround. Ignore calls, ignore emails. By the time Trading Standards do anything (under-resourced) he will be collecting his Bus Pass.

Best bet is to go visit them directly .....

Best bet is to use PayPal's buyer protection system. A visit will be a great help if they are all six foot four bodybuilders.

RogerS":2vvs59hj said:
WellsWood":2vvs59hj said:

Trouble is, Mark, that they are going to give him the runaround. Ignore calls, ignore emails. By the time Trading Standards do anything (under-resourced) he will be collecting his Bus Pass.

Best bet is to go visit them directly .....

Entirely possible Roger. My point is that to have any claim under the regulations the order must be cancelled in writing within 7 days of receipt of goods, so that should be the first move.

Surely this isn't the Sounds Great Music that I know in Heald Green, Cheshire?

I've dealt with them in the shop many times and I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be selling fake goods.

If there's another Sounds Great then I think it needs clarifying.

phil p":1ruby6l9 said:
Hi Roger,

The company is called Sounds Great.

Unfortunately the were only £75.00, which should have made me think twice as they were Bose.

Indeed. Bose are normally very expensive. Further (and drifting off topic) they're not well regarded in audio enthusiast circles.

BugBear

Do things properly. Check their terms an conditions and look for their returns procedure. Photograph the goods and keep copies of everything.

Regardless of what their T&C's say they must comply with the "Distance Trading Regulations" which means you have a minimum of a 7-day cooling off period in which to inform them that you do not wish to keep the goods. Send now via post and email, try calling and inform them that your will be recording the call. They should not fear this if they are legit.

They should provide a refund within 30-days as well as proper means for you to return the goods, if they fail to do so contact your credit-card company and charge-back the transaction. If you can't do this then you'll have to go through small-claims court. In any case, if they don't acknowledge these are fake, I would still contact trading standards - if they get enough complains they can investigate, and seize the stock. Whether they will or not is another matter.

Good luck.

Charlie

Latest posts

Back