Advice on multifunction 13A sockets - will I burn down the family home?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDarren

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a dual socket that has plugged into it a shaver adaptor to power a foreign lamp and various combinations of USB charging. I was thinking of buying a 13A multifunction socket from Amazon (can take UK 3-pin, 2 pin shaver, USB etc) but notice that reputable sellers like BG don't have anything like that in their range. Is this a stunningly obvious clue that these things are too risky? I'm a complete amateur with electrics but understand the basics (I think). I'd use a socket tester and multimeter on the install however suspect this isn't a good idea. Advice please.

On UK 13 amp sockets, anything plugged in should be fused at no more than 13 amps otherwise you have either a 20 or 32 amp protective device in the board so as rob has said just fit a uk plug and fuse at 3amps.

Anything with the dreaded built-in electronics is a) going to be much less reliable than a bog-standard 13A socket and b) continually taking power. As someone who professionally designed electronic devices for ~50 years I'd keep with the standard socket and follow the advice above. Will it burn your house down? Unlikely but of course there has to be a greater risk however immeasurably small although it's going to be several million times larger than a standard socket.
Stay safe.
Martin

There are "smart" usb charging adapter (UK plug of course) which "allegedly" cease to draw current one the attached device has been fully charged; or at least have minimal current running when not actually charging anything. They're far better than the 13Amp + usb charging ports sockets. One advantage being they're portable - meaning you can put anywhere you need them at any time? And many of these adapters have a pass through 13Amp socket incorporated. Masterplug being one... and available on the big river site... If you go this route - don't buy cheap...

Back