Faithful woodcarving chisels have landed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, said i'd stick these up so here they are!

Got my mitts on these today so at last I can start to do something woodie! Wanted to start carving as soon as I could because it is something I want to incorporate into some upcoming projects anyway and I can get going for not a lot of outlay (to start with!).

Following a few comments on here I was going to get a couple of Faithfuls to have a go with and go from there, then these came up at £20 something delivered I thought I may as well have them, not really one for sets but for me it's perfect to start with and experiment with.

Their cheap anyway but they were a bit less because I have got a couple with some dinks out of the handles and some of the ferrules are a bit pants but the steel is good, grinding centred on the v tools etc.

Of course I have only just unwrapped them but I took a straight chisel to some scary sharp and wiped its backside on a belt (this may or may not of been stropping) and took it to old bit of something in the folks garage, pine of some sort, and it cut well. Seemed to hold it's edge well as I randomly sliced until the majority was on the floor, edge dulling towards the end of this activity. This bodes well I think and I'm sure a good sharpen will only improve things.

The gouges and the v tools, erm, well the biggest straight gouge is like trying to carve with half a scaffold pole using a 90 degree stabbing motion! Only the sweep is much shallower, would of liked a more pronounced curve in these tools but hey, go to a smaller size apparently, we'll see but there is much grinding to do with no grinder (only the angle type!). V tools similar story, I realise they leave them like that so you can put your own edge on there so I have no complaints really just a lot of metal to remove on the keel etc so I can approach the timber at a slightly gentler angle!

I do like is the fact that this metal is there though, there strong, bit chunky maybe, but the steel seems good, overall i'm happy with these and can't wait to fettle the rest and have a go, which is what it's about after all so for the money verdict has to be bargain.

While I'm boring you all much more exciting is the record 52 1/2 A in great condition for £25, this means bench building time at last, just as soon as there's some skip raiding! Oh and some draper 'expert' (!) chisels, £2.50, aren't they lovely :lol:

Dean.

Attachments

• DSCN2023.JPG
    DSCN2023.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 2,011
  • DSCN2019.JPG
    DSCN2019.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,011
  • DSCN2018.JPG
    DSCN2018.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 2,011
  • DSCN2015.JPG
    DSCN2015.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 2,011
  • DSCN2008.JPG
    DSCN2008.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,011
  • DSCN2007.JPG
    DSCN2007.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,013
  • DSCN2005.JPG
    DSCN2005.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,013
MMUK":2jkllzrs said:
£2.50 for a complete set of chisels? :shock:

I know, i pushed the boat out there! Just had a little play with them and only two have been used and only just. Steel on those seem pretty good too so result, i'd like some nicer ones of course but there'll do until then and no rush tbh.

Dean.

You're right about needing to do a lot of grinding, the gouge looks like it's for turning rather than carving. I don't know if it is a trick of the light or something, but that V tool looks like it is over 90 degrees wide, generally the most useful angle is about 60 (for lining in, separating out parts of the carving etc).

Still for £2:50 it could be a lot worse, be interesting to see how well they work for you.

Edited to add : sorry, missed that it was £20 for the gouges. Not so sure about the value now, though it depends greatly on what you want to carve.

Took a chance and Ordered 3 of those amidst doubts.... Just what I needed to hear :)
What sweep would you say approximately those gouges are? And what of the V-tools angle?

How do you do that multiple quote thing?!

Bugbear thanks for the link, after a quick sharpen they were much better than i thought initially i have to say, i'm quite happy with them and think i owe my mate a pint, he got these, a claw hammer and a mid sized hack saw for a fiver and offered to split it so i get the chisels that he didn't want, so chisels ticked and at the ready although i think the stone could do with a upgrade!

Carl, thank you and the first will be a bench build WIP with the budget being spent on that vice :lol:

Charvercarver yes much grinding! I may have to cautiously try a belt sander and a bowl of water, separately of course and with no darwin award intentions but otherwise i'll need rolls of paper and days i haven't got. Yes look wider than you tube examples i've seen, to be honest i wasn't intending to need one of these any time soon, more the learning exercise at the moment really but nevertheless very keen to get it working and see, ill measure the angle tomorrow, alas almost full price for these bad boys i'm afraid, haven't got the details with me but sure it was £26 something delivered but its ok, it's already worked out well so it's good from here :D

J_SAMa, i have no idea how to approximately say an angle for a sweep :lol: my apologies, the best thing i can come up with is tomorrow i'll mark a timber and draw lines etc and hope my cameras good enough for you, until then can i say a bit?! Will measure the v tool too.

Thanks all,

Dean.

This site doesn't have a multi quote option :(

What you see with the multiple quotes is if say Bugbear had quoted you and then someone quotes BB's quote - so you appear to get multiple quotes. If that makes sense?

Oooooh a bench build with carving chisels, this i have to watch :lol:

charvercarver":2fx2we22 said:
Edited to add : sorry, missed that it was £20 for the gouges. Not so sure about the value now, though it depends greatly on what you want to carve.

My edit missed that! Value of course down to the individual but for me they just tick all the box's, i'm not having a go on a quality tool i know nothing about yet if i get it right the steels more than good enough for the use intended, i get a basic letter carving kit with straight chisels i can now leave separate and probably sharper than my new drapers, got a skew chisel - whats these about then? Well i have one now so i can find out! Straight gouges to help with some detail light relief i suppose carving, wouldn't mind trying a picture frame with some basic patterning on for example or a table stretcher, whatever, i got a carving architectural detail book a while ago on the forum and there are many forms i could try with these for a start. I have some v tools to work out what size of v tool i actually want! I'll stop now but needless to say basically i think it's a variety fun pack where my heads the limiting factor not these and best of all is that Santas helping :lol:

Thanks,

Dean

Double edit thanks Carl i'll get there and i'll always promise excitement lol just have to type quicker! Dean

DMF:

It might be an idea to use a bench grinder before the belt sander, it'd be quicker and there is less chance of burning the metal. Have to say it isn't a bad idea to make your mistakes on a cheap set of gouges, if you're anything like me that V tool might be half the length it is now before you get the knack.

The gouge in the picture looks like a 6 or 7 sweep, V tool is probably 120 degrees.

Edited to respond to an edit:

Like I say, not a bad idea to practice on cheapys, when you come to actually carve specific projects you can buy what you don't have. By the way, have you seen Chris Pyes online carving lessons? Can't beat it for a fiver a month.

charvercarver":31patrav said:
if you're anything like me that V tool might be half the length it is now before you get the knack.

Many carving books spend more pages telling how to sharpen the 'V' tool than all the normal gouges put together!

BugBear

i gave up on my v tool and sent it to ashley iles. They sorted it out for a few quid- regrinding and honing- honing isnt too bad, but as a beguininner trying to grind it when you dont know how it should be when finished was a mamoth task. There is a decent explanation somewhere- think it was a Chris Pye article on sharpening them.

With carving tools, the key seems to be keeping them razor sharp. Do a cut or two (maybe a few more), polish, few cuts, polish etc. The polish is a quick rub on a piece of leather shaped to the profile.

carlb40":1conuaw5 said:
This site doesn't have a multi quote option :(
To get multiple quotes, I cut and paste the quotes.

That way I can misquote
carlb40":1conuaw5 said:
Hey, I never said this.
And even quote myself by putting my name in where carl's was
Vann":1conuaw5 said:
Hey, I never said this either

But to get back on topic: If you left the box of Faithful chisels on the bench at night, next to the box of Draper chisels, and came back in the morning to find them all mixed up, would that mean they're been unFaithful?

I'll get my coat... :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

J_SAMa":2kkcetxd said:
Took a chance and Ordered 3 of those amidst doubts.... Just what I needed to hear :)
What sweep would you say approximately those gouges are? And what of the V-tools angle?

Hi, hopefully this helps, it was your thread i believe and one of Jacobs comments that made me think about these so ta for that :) V tools are 110 and 120 degrees so quite wide!

Dean.

Attachments

• DSCN2030.JPG
    DSCN2030.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,684
You know that viewpoint on sculpture which says the finished item you want is inside the workpiece, and you just have to remove the waste to reveal it?

I think it applies to these chisels too!

BugBear

charvercarver":3debbrph said:
DMF: have you seen Chris Pyes online carving lessons? Can't beat it for a fiver a month.

No edits this time! Thanks for the tips, no grinder i'm afraid so i'll sneak up on them. Your right on one of the v tools so i guess there's a 6 or a 7 sweep too! Thanks for the above too, I have seen some of his you tube stuff and seems like a sensible chap, it was one his videos that shows what my v tool should end up looking like and I'm sure i'd learn a lot in a month for a fiver, i'll have a play and then look into that.

Thanks,

Dean.

marcros":1cljl5b6 said:
i gave up on my v tool and sent it to ashley iles.

Thanks Marcros, i have a back up plan now :lol:

Vann - thank you, what can i say?! I'll keep a eye on them!

Dean

bugbear":2ubvlzek said:
You know that viewpoint on sculpture which says the finished item you want is inside the workpiece, and you just have to remove the waste to reveal it?

I think it applies to these chisels too!

BugBear

Ahh Bugbear, where is the love?! Just the same as those sculptures i'll get to the item i want, there's a lot of gorgeousness just waiting to pop out your'll see :)

Dean.

DMF":3jcewjtx said:
J_SAMa":3jcewjtx said:

Hi, hopefully this helps, it was your thread i believe and one of Jacobs comments that made me think about these so ta for that :) V tools are 110 and 120 degrees so quite wide!

Dean.

Ah thanks. No. 6/7 sounds about right, just the sweep I need 8)

Sam

Back