External door fittings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a new letterbox, escutcheon and handle for my front door from screwfix. All of them have rusted in 6 months. Not massively keen to buy door bits from screwfix again as it's all the same price and so in my mind it's all the same quality. Can anyone recommend a website which will sell decent quality letterboxes and the like? Or would I get something better from one of the big builders merchants?

If theyve rusted does that mean black wrought iton style?

If so you could try fromtheanvil or carlisle brass (ludlow foundries range) these arr manufacturers, you will need to through an ironmongers.

Nope, they're Satin Chrome. The letter box has a rust spot on it. The handle (to be fair it wasn't explicitly an external handle) is badly rusted. The door knocker is ok, a bit more weathered than I'd expected. The escutcheon is ok, but the screws are rusting, I used the supplied ones.

Paul - Finding somewhere good is easier said than done. If anyone in South Wales has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Cardiff or Bridgend would be best.

Ive not come across an issue with satin chrome, they must be poor quality fittings.

Carlisle brass do a decent range of satin stainless

Screws supplied with handles etc are usually rubbish, best to replace with decent stainless.

As their local and I'm often in a rush to do a job at home I use screw fix a fair bit, a lot (but not all) of the iron mongery is not good quality.

I got some good heavy duty strap hinges from them recently (a new product) but that's the first thing I've got for quite a while that was better than expected.

here is a weird suggestion:

Find a local double glazing firm and ask if you can take stuff off their skip
You will find decent quality brass furniture there in abundance

Anyone close to me in the same situation: I have boxes full of solid brass furniture and high quality door hinges available FOC

The majority of my timber comes off a double glazing company skip

Vellacine on Hadfield Road might have what you're looking for.
I haven't had anything for a while, but what I've had is really good stuff.

n0legs - I'll give them a try. Thanks for that.

lurkey - My wife has re-painted the door and wants a steel/satin chrome effect.

morfa":2mkbrx58 said:
Paul - Finding somewhere good is easier said than done. If anyone in South Wales has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Cardiff or Bridgend would be best.

I feel your pain. I'm in SW Scotland. Just give AIW a ring - they don't have an online shop but they're happy to help and will send stuff to you by carrier - just like an online shop but with real people! That's why I use them. 8)

lurker":3mpqwg4x said:
here is a weird suggestion:

Find a local double glazing firm and ask if you can take stuff off their skip
You will find decent quality brass furniture there in abundance

Anyone close to me in the same situation: I have boxes full of solid brass furniture and high quality door hinges available FOC

The majority of my timber comes off a double glazing company skip

That's how i got the name skipdiver. I did subby work for a double glazing company for a while and whatever their lads chucked in the skip, i would jump in and fish out again. I got some fantastic stuff out of that skip. They eventually had a big woodburning oven fitted to heat the factory and employed a retired gent to saw up all the wooden doors and windows to burn, telling me i couldn't have any more. It broke my heart to see some of the fantastic wood that went in the furnace but the old boy would remove all the ironmongery, so at least we had the pick of that.

Going back to the original point, i fitted what i thought were very good quality and heavy chrome hinges (made by intelligent hardware) on my workshop doors and they went rusty in no time. I do however live less than a mile from the sea. They were liberated from a site i was working at, so i suppose i can't complain.

Back