Evening all , hinge Dilema

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all , I am just in the design process of my new workshop ( with her blessin ) and I am normally good at finding solutions to problems and never one to give in easily . But , I plan on having two doors each 900 wide but want to set them 40mm ish from the front of the building , I am making the doors myself . Now the problem , I am looking for some heavy duty hinges that will allow such an offset as I want to be able to open them 180 degrees or as close as possible .

The reason for not havving flush doors , which would make it easier , is that I want to be able to get a good weather resistant system in place .

I know , why be so complicated but I would like the doors to fuly open as otherwise they will look ugly and interfere with a path that will run alongside . And if I dont do it how I want it to start with , I will always regret it .

I have searched for heavy duty cranked hinges , either HDG or similar but cant find anythng remotely right for what I need .

If anyone can help , that would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers Dusty

Something like this? http://www.cookebrothers.co.uk/cooke_br ... ptions.pdf (bottom of page 7)

Alternatively speak to these guys http://www.aiwkeycentre.co.uk/ - they can source just about anything and if not, probably know where you can get it or even have it made for you. And yes, I am biased, they bought my business which allowed me to retire! Seriously though - their knowledge and experience is there to be used. Good luck!

Paul

PS. I like a challenge so I'll keep looking!

Thanks guys , that is the exact type of hinge I am looking for , Projection hinge being the term I needed . I was constantly searching " offset" . Once again , thanks for all your help on my mission to mental peace .

I am starting the groundworks this week so will throw together a WIP .

Big thanks Dusty

There's always this sort of thing, too:
3975_1.jpg

Depends on the sort of look you want, I guess and how much projection on the outside you need.

By the way, don't forget to fit some of these:
2-x-door-security-hinge-bolts-dog-bolts--32-p.jpg

or something like them. If anyone has a go at the hinges with a grinder or a drill, it's much harder to lift the door out by pulling it open on the hinge side. It's not impossible, but it slows them down a lot, although with an outward opening door you'll always be slightly vulnerable and you can't hide hinge-side pins altogether. If there's a door jamb on the outside they're invisible to start with.

Nice to see you back too :)

E.

Latest posts

Back