Eureka ! - At last...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santiniuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking in the background for a while trying to learn as much as possible from the various posts on here.

Some of the work posted is outstanding.

But I thought I was destined to a life of turning using a scraper only. Try as I could I just couldn't get to grip with the spindle or bowl guages. The problem being trying to get the bevel to rub when in use. Well thats what I have read.

I purchased a new set of Dakota HSS chisels from Rutlands that appear decent but after some hunting around at images of other tools it looks like the angles from new have been wrong on the guages.

I was learning how to sharpen them and found a good video. True enough my angles were wrong from new. So I 'nervously' ground them back and to the angles I learnt on here.

I am amazed. Instantly I was getting shavings that I had only dreamed off and seen in the books. The finish was amazing straight from the tool.
They just feel totally different.

Well I had to tell someone :)

So, I'm looking forward to joining in soon and posting my creations for comment. (The wife is probably sick of my ramblings already)

Cheers

Shaun

It is amazing what a difference the angles and shape of the cutting edged make isn't it. Look forwrd to seeing your first pieces.

Don't be put off by the 'amazing' stuff that some people are turning, there are still those of us who are turning out some pretty gross things as well :cry:

Pete

Glad you have finally found the key to the 'Shavings Production Room' Shaun, the speed with which you are able to travel the slope of 'Bowl Burial' can be very rapid once you find the sweet spot between tool and wood.

Oldsoke has a good saying he uses a lot and it is one well worth taking on board.

"Every cut in waste wood is a learning curve", use the opportunity it is free tuition and room for experiment.

Hi Shaun - glad it's going well.Know what you mean about grinds,as I found buying another bowl gouge (which had a different grind to my original one) so much easier to use.Have since re-ground the other one.
Saw you bidding on several lots of timber on e-bay from Ken at Whinfield - did you win some of them ?
Have bought some off him myself and was very happy with the quality and price.

Andrew

Glad you found the joys of a good grind Shaun...

Whatever you turn won't please everyone so relax and turn stuff that you like :wink:

Thanks folks,

Encouraging comments as usual.

I just had to post. It just feels like something has 'dropped' into place and I know there's so much to learn. Feeling like I'm actually cutting correctly or at least in a controlled manner is a massive boost.

I'm now starting to get worried about my new addiction of woodturning. Some years ago I worked with a guy who was taking a HAM radio license, apparently one of the requirements required him to learn morse code.

He mentioned that he thought he was cracking up!. On the way to work when he would hear birds chirping he would be decoding the cheaping sound into morse code... :roll: Thats pretty bad....

But now I find myself in a similar condition, we went out for a bar meal last night, we sit down and I notice the bread bowl and find myself wondering how I would turn it. Observing the table I'm wondering what wood it is, could I cut it into sections and make some thin platters....
The spindles on the chairs... Oh too overpowering..... :shock:
Is there any treatment for this condition or do I need therapy ?

Andrew, I have been picking up quite a lot of items from Ken, I found myself going into squirrel mode, not really knowing what I wanted but living local saves the postage and for my learnings they have been excellent. Friendly fella too. Are you aware of anywhere else local that has pickup collection. It just seems a waste paying for postage.

Thanks.

I'm now starting to get worried about my new addiction of woodturning.

The spindles on the chairs... Oh too overpowering.....
Is there any treatment for this condition or do I need therapy ?

It is therapy :lol:

Don't just look... if you can, get your hands on whatever you're looking at... feel the curves. Life will never be the same, have you started looking at trees and thinking... chainsaw... :lol:

oldsoke":2gj3xiy8 said:
have you started looking at trees and thinking... chainsaw...

I do that a lot... :whistle: Sit and look at a tree,and think "where would I start to fell it"

santiniuk":2gj3xiy8 said:
Are you aware of anywhere else local that has pickup collection. It just seems a waste paying for postage.

Not found anyone else yet,although I did notice a tree surgeon's truck recently,and intend giving them a ring - I think that's another sign you are slipping down the slope,and gathering momentum rapidly :wink:

Andrew

Hi santiniuk, I can only sympathize about your present condition.

I believe I suffered from similar a while back, but now after major discussion and help I now think we have it under control.

My answer was to get a workshop and machinery then to lock myself away for numerous hours each day. Until slowly the cravings and visions of shapes are now controllable. In fact my wife even takes me to peoples houses now that I have managed to stop picking up their bowls and other ornaments to feel the shape and form.

I have the occasional lapse of control, but at this moment in time I am glad to say I am still allowed out with the general public.

I'm sorry to say this is the lot of most who take up woodturning!

As a help to anyone who is lucky enough to not have this condition, if you happen to meet a gentleman with glazed flicking eyes (always looking for roadside timber) and the odd wood chip adhering to his clothing, stay well clear. They are not dangerous, but may try to involve you in a never ending discussion about the dreaded wood.

Shaun.
Glad that you've found the correct cutting edge now.
Don't it make a BIG difference.I remember the trouble i was having with my bowl gouge and almost gave up with it,but now i can't wait to start using it when i'm doing me bowls.
Once you've found your right angle,all it takes is a little tickle on the wheel to get it nice and sharp again.Great stuff. :D
Paul.J.

I am afraid that not only is it a non controllable ailment but it is infectious. My wife (who doesn't turn wood) kas the same attitude, picking up bits of wood and asking what I can make from it, feeling peoples bowls etc.
On my way to work I cycle through a park with about thirty mature horse chestnut trees everyone of which has huge burls for the first ten foot of the trunk. Not only have I nearly run a couple of dogs over sizing them up but I actually caught myself wondering if the sound of a chainsaw would carry to the nearest houses at 3 in the morning. Even wondered if I could do something with the conkers lying all over the place.

Pete

Well it's great to see I'm not alone with my addiction diagnosis. Had a good old chuckle at your post Pete. Thats a serious case :)

I guess taking up turning was inevitable after working for a power tool company for nearly 20 years... Just a shame they don't make lathes.... maybe one day..... we will see a yellow and black one.

Although I have made massive progress I still seem to make a cock up on the finishing cuts, just a little cut I say to myself and then end up with a score line that means I need to start again.

I have discovered that good lighting is essential too on these dark nights.

Thanks

santiniuk":ksb44ua5 said:
Although I have made massive progress I still seem to make a cock up on the finishing cuts, just a little cut I say to myself and then end up with a score line that means I need to start again.

I wish I had a £ for every time :lol:

practise making fine cuts whilst removing the bits you don't want... with a bit of luck (and a lot of practise) those final cuts will be controllably sweet

santiniuk":1r0v08vx said:

I have discovered that good lighting is essential too on these dark nights.

Thanks

Don't think of it as 'starting again,' think of it as a change in design.

It is always an advantage to see what you are doing. Candles, Tilly lamps etc aren't really suitable. Best thing is a bendy light that you can train on the bit you are working on.

Pete

Candles, Tilly lamps etc aren't really suitable.

Damn, i hope we get that electrickery stuff up north soon. :( :lol:

Latest posts

Back