Employment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Thinking about taking on a member of staff, just interested in other peoples views on who makes the best candidates.

An older person with lots of experience but set in their ways
or
a young person with no experience

advice and personal experiences appreciated

It is all about work attitude and respect, nothing to do about age, rase, male or female

My wife owns a chain of florists, and unfortunately staffing is the biggest headache she has.

So if you choose one, make sure you give them first a 3 months contract.

I feel sorry for employers taking on staff, it is a huge gamble. You really don't know what you are going to get. The attitude and the skill of the person is so important, you need a good balance.

I agree with Mcluma you need to start them on a short term contract or a trial period. It needs to work both ways too. My experience so far is its very hit and miss.

I started a new job about 7 weeks ago and I am on a 3 month trial. I am a cabinet maker and have been for 11 years now. I am very pleased with my decision to take the job and so far my employer seems to be very pleased too :D

Good luck!

Mcluma":1lpi3ytz said:
It is all about work attitude and respect, nothing to do about age, rase, male or female

Agreed! Unfortunately, if the "yoof" of today that I'm occasionally saddled with is anything to go by you might find that respect is sadly lacking, "attitude" is universally present and a work ethic is an unknown concept!

Good luck in your quest!

I have to agree about the youf of today, most I have found to be lazy and lacking in any respect. Seems most of them would be happier lounging on the dole than doing a good days work. Still there are one or two out there somewhere it is just finding them.

I'm lucky as I employ an old friend so i dont have that worry.

Youth are great, but as already said many of them just dont give a damn. Though I have been approached by a couple of local lads which is a good sign as it meant they were intersetd enough to contact me. remember though, that if employing youngsters H&S plays a VERY important role and you need to be VERY aware of current legislation regarding machines etc. especialy PUWER98

A "rival" of mine has just taken on a apprentice and has been horrified at the H&S implications, the lad is not even allowed to use a cordless drill! In addition, in the first year he doesn't even do woodwork at college he does English and maths! - part of Blairs "key skills" campaign.

Remember also that no matter who you employ you MUST have employers liability Insurance - it is a legal responsibility, also that you will have to pay employers N.I on top of his wages. For me that is an extra £15 a week!

I'm not trying to put you off, don't get me wrong. But it is a BIg step as I have recently found out. My prices have had to increase to cover some of the costs. I worry what will happen if I run out of work - how will I pay Tony? What will Tony do if I'm ill etc. etc Tax is a nightmare though it has got easier. These are all things to be considered.

You may well be better off trying to get somebody say semi skilled/ part retired/ keen diyer for a while to see how things go before you go the whole hog..

Good luck though it can be very helpful and rewarding. Let us know how it goes!

Mark

Thanks for the opinions and implications.

I have worked with youfs with attitude and its a nightmare, this fact really worries me.

Definately a 3 month contract.

With regards to H & S I'm aware of the implications, and all my machines are h & S ok. I think my problems are an open spray area and dust extraction, this will be a big expense to rectify but I really believe I have to take this step sooner or later.
Thanks senior

devonwoody":usa2c4ai said:
Well Senior, at least you have a lesser chance of the pregnancy problem in this trade!!!!
Maybe so, but paternity leave and leave of absence for childrearing are still a problem for smaller employers

Scrit

OH yeh, I had forgotten about that one.

If I was a young man I would be the latest version of superdad (Cornwall origin :) ) and I reckon I would be on permanent paternity leave.

Alf did you ever meet that young man?

well i have to admit i am one of the youfs of today. i work in a workshop with 6 employees. 3 in their 50's and 3 in late teens and early 20's. Ive found with the older employees, they tend to be stuck in their ways about how they work and how they go about things, but are very helpful. The younger guys are a bit of a mix, the one is very keen to help and does exacly as you tell him and understands that he is learning all the time. The other doesn't mind work but thinks he knows it all and doesn't do anything that he thinks is below him. I have more trouble with him than the other 4 put together. So i wouldn't nescecerily tar all youths with the same brush, just pot luck wether or not u get one with the right attitude. unfortunately i cant choose who i work with, i just have to deal with them.

after some of the apprentices i have had to teach god help the wood trades :(
had a job to know which end of the hammer to use!!!!!
maybe i told them to use wrong end :wink:

Senior - As people have said it's a very big step to take on someone & it's an absolute must to have a three month contract, any longer & I believe you'll have problems if it doesn't work.

It's interesting to read the comments on the youth of today :)

Here in Czechland (Where I currently reside for a few years) the 'attitude' and 'lazyiness' is all in the over 35 age group (Brainwashed by communism) whereas the under 35's are usually very keen to learn & to provide a good service. Complete opposite of UK. As usual I will add that there are always exceptions (See post above from one young man)

I think the problem with the younger generation ( says a man of 31), is that you tend to be brainwashed in school to think that you should work towards an office job and not get your hands dirty for a living.

When i was at school all those years ago, :lol: , woodwork and metal work classes were non-existent, the only reason i could do anything practical was because my old man tought me a few basics.

When i came out of full time education to look for a job i was guided away from being a chippie or a sparky, and i could only find a job in a shoefactory or in an office.

I would say that there are a lot of people of my age looking to get in to the industry simply because the chance wasnt there when we let school.

The job isnt anywhere near northampton is it Senior. :D

Cadders, I think you've made a good point there. For many years they seem to have taught it was wrong to get your hands dirty!

Around here we have the problem that many locals just don't want to work - full stop. Pembrokeshire is one of the poorest regions in Europe and many have lived off benefits. They tend to do "Hobbles" i.e cash in hand jobs whilst still claiming benefit. That alone causes me problems as my prices are always trying to compete with the cash in hand cowboys.

Mark

Cadders, how right you are. It's my, well one of my :oops: hobby horses, the terrible attitude we have in this country towards the skilled trades. Only the "thickos" should be doing vocational courses apparently. :roll: I also wonder how we expect the yoof to cope with a full working day when they've been used to the ridiculously short school day - seems to me they're letting the little darlings out earlier and earlier.

Good luck in your search, Senior. Reckon you need to find someone you can get on with as much as anything. :)

Cheers, Alf

Good point Cadders. There was an interesting programme on the TV some time ago, where these kids at school were absolutely useless at the conventional academic subjects and were rapidly going downhill. As an experiment they tried them at things like bricklaying and woodwork and they were brilliant. I think they went on to get very good jobs and build successful careers for themselves. Bring back all the old craft subjects at school, that's what I say :wink:

Paul

Alf":ra3mrwj1 said:
the terrible attitude we have in this country towards the skilled trades. Only the "thickos" should be doing vocational courses apparently. :roll:

Still, Alf, the "thickos" have the last laugh when the superior classes have to pay them ( :shock: How much? :shock: ) to un-block their drains; fix their leaks; cure their sticking doors; replace the dodgy wiring; build them a new kitchen; assemble their flat-pack furniture. Just be a good chap and use the rear entrance - don't want the neighbours to know :wink: And I hope you're not coming in with those muddy boots :shock:

Paul

Back