Elu Mof177 mk2 base plate removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone help me.

I want to remove the base plate and legs of my Elu router.

I thought it was just a case of winding down the knurled nut on the stud in the base plate and then unscrewing the top nut.

I have tried to undo that nut but it will not budge and I don't want to bend or break anything.

Anyone done this before?

Mick

Spindle":yjgphwqb said:
Hi

The router Raizer (sp) website has pdfs of all popular routers 'exploded' - might be worth a look

http://www.routertechnologies.com/routerraizer.htm

Regards Mick

Thanks

Looks like there is a small roll pin in the base stopping the height adjuster bolt turning.

I need to clean up the legs but may just do that in situ rather than drifting out the pin.

Very quick response.

Regards

Mick

Yes, if you really want to remove the base from the columns, you need to drift out the roll pin. It's not difficult, but if all you want to do is clean up the columns, you can do that without completely dismantling the machine.
S

Thanks Steve.

The legs have a little rust that I need to clean so will do them in situ. I have several Elu routers, two 177s one 96e and a 97. They are great routers so worth spending some time, this one came with a table from eBay and after a good clean is in good condition except for two areas that were caked in MDF dust. Only under the dust were there any rust.

So a lesson to all. Keep your legs dust free.

Mick

I'm green with envy
I had an MOF96, an MOF 96E and a 177E. All superb (actually the 96 was dead, but the other two were like new).
All superb machines and now in the hands of some bar steward who does not actually own them.
Hey ho.
S

Strangely enough, I have taken my 177E apart today, the plunge is stiff and I thought the legs might need a clean. Turns out that both springs are bent and twisted so I've ordered two new ones £12 inc p&p. Back to you're original question, all you need to do is as you said, remove the top domed nut and the base will come away from the motor with the legs still attached to the base

Sent from my AN10BG3 using Tapatalk 2

paul saunders":tth77xtl said:
Strangely enough, I have taken my 177E apart today, the plunge is stiff and I thought the legs might need a clean. Turns out that both springs are bent and twisted so I've ordered two new ones £12 inc p&p. Back to you're original question, all you need to do is as you said, remove the top domed nut and the base will come away from the motor with the legs still attached to the base

Paul

That's interesting. I initially thought the dome nut would come off but a closer inspection appears to suggest it is part of the height rod and fixed hence the suggestion of removing the roll pin.

So, does the dome nut come off? How stiff was it?

Where did you buy the legs? £12 seems quite good.

Mick

Sounds like these are like the Dewalt 625 where they domed nut does come off and after removing the height stop, the whole thing just seperates

Sounds like your nuts are stuck :D

dm65":2dhg568c said:
Sounds like these are like the Dewalt 625 where they domed nut does come off and after removing the height stop, the whole thing just seperates

Sounds like your nuts are stuck :D

Quite likely since the 625 appeared after DeWalt bought out Elu in 1994 and re-badged/re-coloured most of the Elu stuff :mrgreen: You'll find a lot of parts in the late 90's DeWalt stuff is the same as what's in the Elu.

Not the clearest due to flash but you can see the nut attached
IMAG0698(2).jpg

Now you can't
IMAG0701(2).jpg

Which means you can do this
IMAG0702(2).jpg

Perhaps a pair of mole grips on the threaded bar will make you feel better about putting force on the nut - unless I'm wrong and it doesn't come off on the Elu's ?

Attachments

• IMAG0698(2).jpg
    IMAG0698(2).jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMAG0701(2).jpg
    IMAG0701(2).jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • IMAG0702(2).jpg
    IMAG0702(2).jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 1,100
While re-assembling, I noticed there's a nut at the bottom as well

If there's one on yours, perhaps you could remove the rod entirely and stick it in a vice ?

Tools and parts direct. http://toolsandpartsdirect.co.uk/Search.aspx?strSearchText=elu+177e it was the springs for the legs that I bought, the legs are sold as part of the base and they are loads of money so don't damage them.
The dome nut at the top should come off, yours might be rusted on ..... try some penetrating oil. My router has the hex nut at the bottom and I think its purpose is to be used as a locking nut in conjunction with the knurled nut once the router is set where you want it to be "that is only my take on it's use"
If you still can't get the domed nut off but you still need to take the base off, you could knock out the roll pin at the bottom of the threaded rod.

Use this link it goes direct to the 177e page http://toolsandpartsdirect.co.uk/Sp...er-Spare-Parts__p-1-240-262-273-276-5427.aspx

I've just had another look at the parts diagram and the offending nut is number 44

Thanks Paul

I will use the lower nut and the lock nut to lock them together to try the dome nut again.

Will let you know how I get on as I hate it when I do a search, find a useful thread and there is not a conclusion.

Mick

Latest posts

Back